Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Navy        (Topic#20820)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-10-17 03:01 PM - Post#239915    

Up by 8. Should be up by 20. I cannot understand the stoicism of Engles. No emotion. No working the refs. No time outta. We once again gave up a huge lead with two minutes to go. Let’s see what happens second half. Smith is playing Great. Hickman is doing nothing.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-10-17 04:13 PM - Post#239919    
    In response to Chet Forte

Leading 40-32 at half, we blow another lead and lose 73-68. Smith with 28, Hanson with 14,Bibbs with 12, but Meisner and Tape with 0.

Let's hope/pray/assume we don't have to track so closely with Engles's first season at NJIT, where he went 1-30.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-10-17 04:26 PM - Post#239920    
    In response to cc66

If it weren't for the FYs, this would have been a blow out.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-10-17 04:46 PM - Post#239921    
    In response to internetter

I know it is early in his tenure, but having watched today’s a few rows behind our bench I am not a fan of the way Engles manages a game. It cannot be a coincidence when we lose all of these games basically the same way, no matter how good or bad the competition. We should have blown out this team. We played great ball for most of the first half, ran up a big lead, and the. Let the opportunity next back into the game. The other team comes out and chips away at the lead, we lose our offensive movement, and at crunch time lose again, Engles shows no emotion, makes inscrutable personnel decisions, stays with Hickman no matter how many air balls he hoists up, doesn’t call time outs, and when there are media time outs we don’t seem to run well designed plays. This team has some real talent, But the whole is much less than the sum of the parts. Tape was a non-factor, and Meisner had a bad game, but Smith was fantastic. Faulds showed promise, but this was a coming out party for Bibbs and Hanson.

cc66 
Postdoc

12-10-17 05:22 PM - Post#239924    

Looking at this game, I am beginning to wonder whether in Castin's absence, Hickman should give way to Adlesh/Bibbs, and Faulds should start in place of Tape. Although neither Faulds nor Tape has been blocking many shots inside, Faulds has offensive moves that Tape lacks. If next year is ever to offset this season's bad karma, it would be better to give Faulds every possible opportunity now.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-10-17 05:50 PM - Post#239927    
    In response to cc66

I watched the game this afternoon, and for the first half was pretty sure Columbia was on the way to blowing Navy off the floor in much the same way Penn did back in November.

I think the difference was that we were able to completely stifle Navy's offense, and scored relentlessly off turnovers. Penn never really allowed the Midshipmen to make a run. I was at the game with a couple of old friends, and we were wondering whether or not Navy would manage to score 40 points total (they finished with 45).

Columbia has some talent, and that freshman class looks like it has some depth and skill. Unfortunately young teams tend to be inconsistent, and that usually only resolves with time and experience.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-10-17 06:58 PM - Post#239933    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

We are consistent. We outplay everybody for about 18 minutes in the first half, come out flat in the second half, give up big leads, and then fold in the last few minutes. And Engles just looks lost as games start slipping away. My take- we are well prepared for each game but fail to make adjustments.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
12-10-17 08:35 PM - Post#239937    

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2017/12/navy-73-colum bia...

Navy made some nice 2H adjustments on offense. Fantastic game from Smith but little help. Columbia was never going to stay so hot from 3 but didn't find another option.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-10-17 10:00 PM - Post#239942    
    In response to whitakk

Not to defend Engles, but he is actually coaching somewhat better this year than last season when he substituted players at such a furious rate that it was embarrassing and also many of us were disappointed that he was unable to prevent the team's collapse down the stretch.. Despite Columbia's disappointing record, the Lions have finally reached the point that many of us anticipated after Castlin's injury in the Villanova game, namely that the Lions best players entering the Ivy League season would be the superb point guard Mike Smith and the three athletic freshmen, Faulds, Bibbs and Hanson. Those four did nearly all the scoring and rebounding today. Surely that will be the case going forward. Engles appears to realize that although he made the error today of substituting Meisner for Faulds with the Lions ahead by two points with only about three minutes remaining on the clock. The 6'8" Meisner is a superb outside shooter with amazing physical prowess, but he should not be taking threes all the time and certainly not in the final few minutes of a close game. In summation, despite the win-loss record, I feel that the Lions are quite talented and will compete for one of the top four positions in the Ivy League specially if Kyle Castlin returns relatively healthy.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
12-10-17 11:48 PM - Post#239945    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Without castlin and with Hickman playing so many minutes, we are very much bottom 4.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-11-17 12:13 AM - Post#239946    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I thought Meisner's problem was that he never got into the flow of the game due to foul trouble. He looked as if he was trying to force his offense, rather than letting the game come to him.

Sagatius 
Freshman

Reg: 11-17-15
12-11-17 09:07 AM - Post#239954    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

The relevant issue is how the same players can win the first 18 minutes by around a 2 to 1 margin, and lose the rest of the game by a slightly larger margin. What is needed to extend the team’s positive play for the rest of the game?

Is it just experience?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-11-17 09:47 AM - Post#239956    
    In response to Sagatius

If this pattern occurred once, twice or even three times in nine straight games I could chalk it up to inexperience. But in nine straight losses, no matter the level of competition? Having been at the game yesterday I remain puzzled by the game time coaching style of Engles. No emotion, no questioning the refs, no time outs when things start slipping away, no apparent half time adjustments, inscrutable personnel choices ( Hickman), and what strikes me as total courtside passivity. Maybe I am missing something here.

LionFan 
Senior

Reg: 11-07-06
12-11-17 10:46 AM - Post#239959    

What I saw from the stands was a Columbia team that was red hot on offense until, late in the first half, Navy made a defensive adjustment. They took Columbia out of its flow by making aggressive jump switches on the Lions' high picks at the top of the key. That stopped CU's quick lateral ball movement, which it uses to create open shots. Columbia never made a counter adjustment, and its offense went flat for the rest of the game. I hesitate to criticize in game coaching because we don't know what they know. But that was both obvious and inexplicable.
Still, the team is making some progress, this time in Bibbs and Hansen. Meisner needs to stay out of early foul trouble for Columbia to succeed. And Tape looks more and more like a backup center - still too soft to play the middle effectively on either end, hand-eye coordination not quite good enough, same with footwork. He looks like a fairly athletic kid who hasn't played enough basketball.

cc66 
Postdoc

12-12-17 02:12 PM - Post#240041    
    In response to LionFan

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/sports/2017/12/11...

Spec comes up with the best possible list of plausible excuses....

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.686 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:35 AM