Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: SD grade so far        (Topic#20822)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-11-17 06:59 PM - Post#239996    

It's only middle of his third season but I thought it worth a discourse on Steve Donahue's progress so far as HC.

Since the last third of last season and all of this season I think SD has pulled all the right strings and managed his talent very well. From his use of Sam Jones on Saturday, Caleb against Howard, Antonio/Darnell, Employing two bigs, etc. He has shown great flexibility in his approach and managing his style to fit his players. The emphasis on defense first the last two years has been a big shift for SD.

For the most part I think he has earned an A for his use of strategy and talent. Not many have expected Penn to be where they are now 2.5 yrs ago. Some on here expected a regression for Penn this year from last year and it's pretty obvious they are better than they were a year ago. The ceiling may not be too much higher for this team but if the chips fall right there is no reason to think they can't contend for the IL this year.

And while I am at it, kudos to Ira Bowman for his defensive sets and scouting reports. He has done a great job preparing this team and putting them in position to be a very good defensive team.

It's been a luxury to have consistency in the assistant coaches these 3 years and their efforts are a big reason for the progress as well.

A+ to Nat Graham, Ira Bowman, Joe Mihalich, and Brad Fadem

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-11-17 08:09 PM - Post#239997    
    In response to PennFan10

Agree.

I hope this year continues to be a success and helps on the recruiting side. I like the players Donahue has brought in - Brodeur and Betley are the two best players we've had since Rosen and that class is the best since Danley/Ibby/Zoller. Donahue has also improved the players he inherited. But he needs to win more of the recruiting wars both within and outside the conference.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-12-17 01:26 AM - Post#240014    
    In response to TheLine

The part that I appreciate the most about SD is that each of his years, his teams play to the end. They no longer have the confused look of the Jerome Allen teams and they no longer have the dispirited look of the Miller teams. Even in the games we have been outclassed, the team still appeared to have a plan and to be working hard.

I don't have any major beefs with SD's coaching - I guess the main question is whether he'll build an ivy winner. He's on the right track, but we'll need a few recruiting wins as TheLine pointed out.

My suggestion to SD is to somehow teach the team to shoot free throws. It is the easiest shot and is bound to cost us a few games.

I would be careful about extrapolating from our KenPom ratings and current record and hoping that it translates directly into our Ivy record this year. It may have a major role, but I think the Ivies will be tough.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-12-17 07:35 AM - Post#240016    
    In response to Penndemonium

Yes -- we underperformed last year compared to OOC kenpom. Columbia has done it year after year. The league will be tougher on us, and will plan for what we do well. I do think that the way teams have generally played Brodeur has been more similar to how they will play him in conference this time around. So the adjustment may be easier for him.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-17 09:08 AM - Post#240021    
    In response to SomeGuy

We are moving the ball so much better than we were even last year (and light years ahead of 2 years ago). We get better shots, even though we aren't necessarily the purest shooters (with the exception of Sam and perhaps Betley).

But the biggest difference is on defense. After years of being a terrible defensive team both inside and out, we are getting out on the ball and compete in the middle. And that is contrary to the advance word on Steve as a coach.

He has us right where we would have hoped for at this point. I put less stock in the recruiting battle issue---right now we're up against a structural disadvantage that can only be overcome with years of winning.

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
12-12-17 09:53 AM - Post#240024    
    In response to palestra38

I give him a B.

I'm really pleased that the program is no longer a laughing stock. But obviously the goal is to get back to the NCAAs. Until then, no A.

Sadly, I do think it comes down to recruiting. And, per P38's insight, I have no great idea about how to improve recruiting in the current environment other than winning and getting lucky on a recruit or two.
Leges sine moribus vanae

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
12-12-17 12:08 PM - Post#240029    
    In response to Penn90

No real complaints from me either. It's nice to be able to have real discussions about a competitive team again. I just can't stand the whistling.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-17 02:22 PM - Post#240045    
    In response to Quakers03

He gets an incomplete from me. I don't give interim grades. Let's see some Ivy wins and then revisit.

echo 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-12
12-12-17 03:47 PM - Post#240060    
    In response to 10Q

I agree that SD has done a very good coaching job. But I think this is still a work in progress until he proves he can go head to head with Harvard/Princeton/Yale and win some recruiting battles. To date, the results on that front are somewhat disappointing.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-12-17 08:20 PM - Post#240074    
    In response to echo

Only way to change the recruiting front is to win. Right now, we've got a brand disadvantage, a money disadvantage, and a basketball disadvantage. If we get back to where Penn is the Ivy to go to for basketball, that all changes.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
12-13-17 06:42 AM - Post#240098    
    In response to SomeGuy

Well we are #1 in the Ivies on Pomeroy this am! One slot ahead of Yale. Ill take that

PennFan10 
Postdoc

12-14-17 07:54 PM - Post#240243    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
He gets an incomplete from me. I don't give interim grades. Let's see some Ivy wins and then revisit.

Semester grades are due. No incompletes. IL games are 2nd semester!

PennFan10 
Postdoc

12-14-17 08:01 PM - Post#240244    
    In response to PennFan10

SD's weekly commentary with Joe Tordy is posted on the Penn site. SD had a few interesting observations:

-Said he trusts Darnell and Ryan as much as any player he has ever coached to be at the line at th end of a game

-Said FT shooting by the time IL play rolls around will be a strength of this team

Regarding 8-2 over the last 10 games: Said Penn is 13th nationally in Def Rebounding, they guard the 3, don't turn it over and are starting to make open shots.

-Said every player has a chance to earn playing time over the next 2.5 weeks in practice.

-Said the starting 5 we have are our toughest, most physical, smartest players and as good as any starting 5 in the league.

-Said other players (Jones, Caleb, Matt McD, Simmons, Eddie) have all accepted their role and have embraced it.

Overall he thinks defense has been great and offense is coming around and we get to play at home for next 8 games so he expects us to play well as we improve execution.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.236 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:10 AM