Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo        (Topic#20839)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-15-17 10:26 PM - Post#240291    

Opens Princeton -2 1/2

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
12-16-17 09:50 AM - Post#240306    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Somewhat surprising that the spread was not greater in favor of the Tigers but Cal Poly has a significant home court advantage over the past several years plus the Tigers being viewed very differently than the beginning of the year. Cal Poly has historically been a low turnover team plus they hoist up alot of 3s. Tigers easily beat them last year at Jadwin, 29 points, and Cal Poly was not impressive. Kenpom rank is around 260 with good reason.

Best player is 6ft pt guard, who is 28-28 from foul line. They also have one good big at 6'7". Small team that fires away with 3 pointers. Challenge will be controlling pt guard -- Bell may not be quick enough and Cannady may not be good enough defensively. Both teams have unimpressive defenses based on y-t-d results but Tigers have a better offense. Stephens may have some success based on match ups and last game and Bell may be able to get to the rim.

Not sure if you got to pay on Big West network to watch. Does anyone know?

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
12-16-17 12:34 PM - Post#240314    
    In response to bradley

you can watch the game on ESPN3

bradley 
PhD Student

12-16-17 01:34 PM - Post#240319    
    In response to jeromelh

Thanks so much.

The game does not show up on Comcast Xfinity schedule of games for this evening. I wonder if it makes a difference regarding the service provider that you have.

jeromelh 
Junior

12-16-17 02:26 PM - Post#240321    
    In response to bradley

just go to WATCH ESPN or ESPN3 on your computer and look for a list of games. You can do that now to look at the schedule

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
12-16-17 07:16 PM - Post#240354    
    In response to jeromelh

I also do not see it on the ESPN3 list of games. Here is a link to the BigWest stream - it looks like it may be free.

http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Live=93

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-16-17 10:22 PM - Post#240367    

30 minutes to tip, Princeton -1 1/2.

Over/under 128 1/2

bradley 
PhD Student

12-16-17 11:53 PM - Post#240371    

Best defensive performance of the year although Cal Poly was not exactly an offensive powerhous in the 1st half but still 20 minutes to play. Literally, every shot was strongly contested with few exceptions. Conversely, Tigers had a good number of wide open looks via passing to the open man after penetrating.

Tigers did miss some shots at the hoop as guys did not finish. Much and Schweiger had their moments of playing out of control and being loose with the ball.

The big 3 were very good both offensively and defensively. Let's see if they can sustain it. Reasonably impressive for a change.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-17-17 12:53 AM - Post#240374    
    In response to bradley

29 pt lead with 7 minutes to go but bench played final 7 minutes and not very well -- final 20 pt difference.

Even though lead increased from 17 to 29 in 2nd half, it was a function of offense vs. defense -- got a little sloppy particularly Much, Brennan and Arirguzoh on D. Interior defense needs some work.

Young hit some 3s as Cannady basically did not play over the last 12 minutes. Ball movement with the regular players is so much better. Freshmen are still sloppy with the ball that needs to get tightened up.

Announcers for Cal Poly declared that Tigers may go undefeated in the Ivy League and they would be the favorites to win the Big West. Pretty funny but they were somewhat stunned with the over match tonight.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
12-17-17 01:04 AM - Post#240377    
    In response to bradley

Encouraging blowout win on the road. Competition was weak, but there are 80+ teams worse than Cal Poly.

By far the best sign tonight was the interior defense. None of the usual 1-on-1 or overly cautious "no foul" contests. Tonight there were constant double-teams and aggressive SWAT attempts. Yeah, you get a few fouls in the process but most bigs can't shoot FTs anyway.

Every team, however strong or weak, has hammered us inside, but tonight the guys were relentless. 10 blocks! Now that's rim protection.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-17-17 02:04 AM - Post#240380    
    In response to gokinsmen

Yeah, aside from too many missed layups and getting lax during prolonged garbage time, that was a stellar performance in a road trap game. It was nice to see the Tigers not just try to use their superior individual ability to overpower their opponents one on one, but instead move the basketball. And they took away the Mustangs' offensive options very effectively. Stephens and Bell terrorized anyone they guarded.

jeromelh 
Junior

12-17-17 07:20 AM - Post#240382    
    In response to SRP

RE: ESPN3
You are correct that it was not on ESPN3. When I looked up the game a day or so on ESPN, it was listed for ESPN3, but didn't appear. Oh well.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
12-17-17 08:48 AM - Post#240384    
    In response to jeromelh

I just watched the replay, nice away win for the Tigers!

I have not been able to see many games so far this season, but this was the first time I have seen Princeton look like a team that can contend for a title. As others have noted, the competition was not strong, but last night they played like a team and not a collection of parts: the defensive intensity and ball movement that made last year’s team so tough to play against were present throughout (at least until they cleared the bench) and a stat sheet with many assists, steals/blocks and few TOs reflects that effort. Shooting 16-24 from deep was crazy but most of those were open looks in rhythm. And unlike some of the previous games I have seen this year, they did not play like they were waiting for Spencer Weisz to start the offense or for Steven Cook to energize the defense.

I’d be interested to hear what other posters have to say about what we have learned so far this season. My take: Big 3 are living up to high expectations; the hype on Much is also accurate, he seemed very comfortable and like a legit 4th weapon last night; Desrosiers shows promise but still looks like a rookie; Schwieger is a very pleasant surprise, almost like a more athletic version of Weisz and a glue-guy who can do many things well; Gladson’s steady post presence is missed and I hope he returns soon; Brennan, Young and LeBlanc have not broken through but are reliable veterans who have been surpassed in the rotation by the freshmen; and although it has been nice to see Aririguzoh play more he is still very raw and mistake-prone.

The mix of talent should make the Tigers a flexible, competitive and fun to watch team if they can sustain last night’s effort against higher quality opponents.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-17-17 09:23 AM - Post#240386    
    In response to SRP

Bell and Stephens were very strong on defense as you point out and Cannady played remarkably well on D as others. As the Cal Poly coach said two weeks ago "3 pointers are romantic but defense and rebounding wins games". The future of the Tigers will be more understandable after the remaining games on the West Coast as they will be playing very strong competition -- Cal Poly is simply not a good team. Coach had to get the Tigers to change their style of play on both O and D and maybe they have -- time will tell. When the Tigers contest shot after shot and passes the ball to the open man, good things will generally happen although shots may not fall on a given night.

The optimism on several IL boards would suggest that their team have or will get it together by the time of the IL season. Reality is that one team wins and one team loses in every IL game and how the IL season plays out seems hard to figure out, especially this year. Statistical analysis may help to predict the future although teams can improve/decrease the odds by how they play the game and more importantly, how they execute. Let's see with the Tigers.

Big concern is how the freshmen do not protect the ball and C position without Much in the game.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
12-17-17 10:41 AM - Post#240388    
    In response to bradley

CP did lose to Stanford by 16 and Cal by 3, so using the popular "comparison scores" method, we have a competitive Pac 12 team ....

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-17-17 11:37 AM - Post#240393    
    In response to sparman

Next few games will tell us a lot. This is far enough into the season where the team should be starting to gel if we are going to be a strong competitor. We have to demonstrate that the success and confidence against the Cal Polys can be transferred to tougher opponents. I don’t expect any upsets. But, some strong showings with better ball movement, defense and shot selection would reassure me that the early season has not been wasted.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
12-18-17 08:58 PM - Post#240480    
    In response to Tiger69

Non-Conf Thoughts Thus far:

-Our Big 3 are as advertised. Cannady gets buckets. Stephens is the best 2-way player in the league. Amir Bell is our glue guy on both ends. Zero worries about those guys.

-Our freshmen frontcourt was a disaster to start the season. Not having a healthy Gladson was indeed a big blow. But now the frosh are slowly coming along. Much looks especially advanced.

-It was a mistake to have so many challenging non-conf games to start the season. I like playing in the Diamond Head, but we should have began the year with a bunch of cupcake opponents to get the aforementioned frosh acclimated. To be fair, I understand some of these games were likely scheduled 2 years in advance.

In general, for the Ivies, I think it's preferable to rack up a gaudy non-conf record against weak teams with just 1 or 2 quality opponents at the end.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-18-17 09:27 PM - Post#240481    
    In response to gokinsmen

I have a different perspective regarding non-conference scheduling although you can make an argument regarding this year based on the playing time coming from freshmen.

Cannady has been phenomenal shooting the basketball but it is highly unlikely that he can maintain his 3 pt shooting % but he certainly has a great release -- can he get a 2nd chance taking the last shot against Notre Dame? Stephens was inconsistent earlier in the year but he has picked up his game and Bell is rebounding again after a poor start. Let's hope that they all stay healthy. As to the freshmen, they are a work-in-progress as you point out.

Henderson was so frustrated after the Lehigh game as to effort, it was concerning --- part of the challenge with a young team. Big challenge coming up.

For good luck, we need Eric Von Zipper to do the opening post regarding USC as he is on a roll. Where are you Eric?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-19-17 12:38 PM - Post#240520    
    In response to gokinsmen

No strong schedule, no prospect of 2nd Ivy bid. Also, you can’t teach as much from playing cupcakes. Finally, good recruits want strong opponents. It’s a painful process. But, there is a greater up side to a tough schedule. Obvious risk: overwhelming the team and developing the wrong attitude. The coach’s job is to teach the players and keep them positive and focused on the future. Mitch seems to be doing pretty well at that. As long as he continues what he’s started, I’m going to sit back and wait for the incremental payoffs.🐅

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.334 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 PM