Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Hawaii        (Topic#20878)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-25-17 08:53 PM - Post#241303    
    In response to Tiger69

Yikes as far as the officiating--I was expecting some taro root with all the home cooking. The bogus charge on Bell where he fouled out was the pineapple on top. Young and Much would get pushed fighting for post position and get called for standing their ground. The announcers were baffled by a call against Brennan when he had perfect rebounding position. So the relative calm the Tigers displayed was impressive.

Hawaii definitely made the game much calmer for PU by their FT butchery. Not only a low percentage, but the front-ends of some one-and-ones missed. Still, even if they'd made them all and Princeton hadn't done any better on offense, they'd have won. And Cannady uncharacteristically missed a few FTs too.

I didn't think the teams looked especially tired. Jump shots were going in with nice trajectories, people were fighting for rebounds and loose balls, etc. Maybe Stephens's finishing problems were from that--he left a lot of layups rolling off the rim. I wish some of the Tigers' (predicted preseason and continuing) weaknesses in post defense and in consistent cutting off of drives were merely fatigue. Hope the excessive turnovers were due to that. Surprised we didn't see more Aririguzoh, whose energy and foul-absorbption would have seemed to be indicated. Brennan was pretty good though, especially showing his great help-and-recover on ball screens.

Bell and Cannady played great games overall. The way Cannady stays erect and alert and active regardless of whether his shot is going down is exemplary, and he was rewarded in the second half by the return of his touch. He had to accede to a couple of mid-range twos to get it back, but it was well worth it. Bell was aggressive on offense and defense and generally had a terrific tournament.

Liked Brennan, Deroisiers, and Schweger pretty well in this game. Young not so much, although he was tormented by the officials. The team could really use Morales back for situations like the end of this game, trying to defeat opposing teams' ball pressure without Bell.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
12-25-17 09:24 PM - Post#241305    
    In response to SRP

I would love to know what Gladson's injury is

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
12-25-17 09:47 PM - Post#241306    
    In response to bradley

Gotta be pleased with the preconference play. They got better as they went along and it looks like Much, Desrosiers and Schweiger are gonna get serious minutes as freshmen.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Hawaii
12-25-17 10:16 PM - Post#241307    
    In response to umbrellaman

Nice road win to close out non-conf. The freshmen bigs really grew up in the past few games -- Much, Desrosiers, Schweiger and Aririguzoh, all of them. I think a few more cupcake opponents to start the season would have been nice (75th SOS this year), but the guys are ready for the Ivies.

Another Ivy Tourney at the Palestra is total garbage, but let's get there first. #Myles4POY #Much4ROY

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-25-17 10:18 PM - Post#241308    
    In response to SRP

Hawaii is notorious for having a huge HCA, mostly from fouls.

It won’t appear as such by Hawaii’s end of season rank, likely, but this is an impressive win. Hard to walk out of this tournament with a big win against the hosts, though. While it was a crazy good Hawaii team in 2015-16, I remember that Diamond Head being *rough* for everyone playing Hawaii, including the eventual champs OU.

Very, very good win.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Hawaii
12-25-17 10:44 PM - Post#241309    
    In response to mrjames

I'm surprised Hawaii doesn't field more competitive teams on a regular basis.

I mean, it's D1 basketball...in a tropical paradise. Not a bad recruiting pitch.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-25-17 11:07 PM - Post#241310    
    In response to SRP

Cannady 2 pts 1st half - 26 pts 2nd half. He has literally and figuratively elevated his game both offensively and defensively from even last year. He is now a few points shy of 1,000 and he still has 1 1/2 years to go. Bell has been terrific as you point out. Stephens play is somewhat uneven and he has missing shots at the rim.

Tigers 111 KenPom but may not get much of a bounce in IL play assuming if they play well based on non-conference performance of Ivies including the Tigers as a group but all you can do at this point is improve and stay focused.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-26-17 03:19 PM - Post#241321    
    In response to bradley

Southern Cal won the tournament and Middle Tennessee lost 3rd to Miami by 3 points.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Re: Hawaii
12-26-17 05:25 PM - Post#241326    
    In response to gokinsmen

Re: playing CBB in Hawaii, possible downsides - Road trips, going home is a bear, cost of living is high?

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.2 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 AM