Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: IL Schedule        (Topic#20899)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-03-18 11:14 AM - Post#241852    
    In response to bradley

I think the entire IL would struggle against Toledo shooting 61% from 3 and an otherwise very talented offense. I think SD is pretty comfortable with their defense thus far this year, second half of Toledo excepted.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-03-18 11:55 AM - Post#241856    
    In response to PennFan10

Only comment is that Toledo's and Tiger's season shooting stats (FG%, 3pt%, FT%) are virtually identical and Tiger's strength of schedule is significantly stronger but the beauty of basketball is that shots can fall or not fall on any given night. A good reason for Stephens and Bell to drive to the basket.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-03-18 12:50 PM - Post#241871    
    In response to bradley

And if The Tigers shoot 61% from 3 while Penn shoots 28% the outcome will be definitive. Princeton’s shooting percentage relative to Toledo has nothing to do with it.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-03-18 01:08 PM - Post#241872    
    In response to PennFan10

Ah, only two more days! Let the taunting begin.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-03-18 02:27 PM - Post#241882    
    In response to PennFan10

The beauty of BB is that we will find out how good the Penn D is over the next 14 games as well as how good or bad teams really are including the Tigers. The importance of Friday night, especially this year, would be even more meaningful if not for the dopey IL Tournament but always nice to get off to a good start especially for home teams.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-03-18 03:06 PM - Post#241890    
    In response to bradley

Sadly the Ivy Tourney means, apparently, the end of the Tuesday Penn-Princeton games (let alone having the Penn-Princeton game be the final game of the regular season a la The Game in Ivy football).

But having it moved to Friday night means I can no longer follow the contest at all. I realize that Princeton's winter scheduling screws a lot of things up here, too. Hopefully in future years these games can be played on a different day or evening.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-03-18 07:10 PM - Post#241919    
    In response to penn nation

I'm worried because I'm not worried. Setting myself up for a fall and concerned that the team might too. But MH and the veterans should have them focused for an IL opener that's also a rivalry game. Also, the last time the Tigers lost in the Palestra was almost exactly four years ago., when Bell was a freshman.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-03-18 07:23 PM - Post#241923    

• penn nation Said:
Sadly the Ivy Tourney means, apparently, the end of the Tuesday Penn-Princeton games (let alone having the Penn-Princeton game be the final game of the regular season a la The Game in Ivy football).

But having it moved to Friday night means I can no longer follow the contest at all. I realize that Princeton's winter scheduling screws a lot of things up here, too. Hopefully in future years these games can be played on a different day or evening.

The return match at Princeton is on Tuesday, February 6. I suspect we're stuck with the first game being on a weekend early on, as it seems like with the increased parity in the league, neither team wants to be playing 5 games in nine days more than once any more.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-03-18 07:41 PM - Post#241926    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
I'm worried because I'm not worried. Setting myself up for a fall and concerned that the team might too. But MH and the veterans should have them focused for an IL opener that's also a rivalry game. Also, the last time the Tigers lost in the Palestra was almost exactly four years ago., when Bell was a freshman.

Princeton is due for a loss in a tight game against Penn. seems like it has won any number of games against the Quakers that could have gone the other way.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: IL Schedule
01-03-18 08:42 PM - Post#241933    
    In response to bradley

As others have pointed out, I think the Toledo game gave you a false impression of Penn. We've been better on defense than offense overall this year. I think we're #2 to Harvard thus far.

You're right, though, that the Toledo game may be a reason for Penn fans to worry about Friday -- Princeton is the only Ivy team that is close to Toledo offensively. And Princeton plays better D than Toledo (which isn't saying a whole lot, but it provides less margin for error for Penn).

SRP 
Postdoc

01-03-18 09:22 PM - Post#241937    

Yes, I am feeling irrational exuberance. Time to buy some bitcoin.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-03-18 10:08 PM - Post#241939    
    In response to SRP

Coach was interviewed by D. Jones on a podcast yesterday evening. He shared that Gladson is getting close to playing with a possibility that he might play some minutes on Friday night. Morales is out another 3 to 4 weeks ago with a fractured bone in his foot. He may be able to come back after the break.

Mitch said that it has taken several days to get over the jet lag and you could tell that is a bit of a concern. He expressed concern regarding the Penn guards -- more talk about Penn's offense but little as to their defense. Another challenge will be having the freshmen deal with their first IL game in a hostile environment. He stated that the Tiger team now has an edge to it that all started with revving up their defensive effort. The Tigers have been preparing one full week for the Penn game. You can tell that he is trying to get them incredibly focused on the defensive end.

Amir shared the keys to beating Penn: run shooters off the 3 pt line, playing the offense inside/out and limiting turnovers. Bell also talked about the goal for this year being the same as the prior 3 years, going 14-0 --- very little focus on the IL Tournament. The old coach talk "take it one game at a time".

bradley 
PhD Student

01-04-18 09:52 AM - Post#241952    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
I'm worried because I'm not worried. Setting myself up for a fall and concerned that the team might too.

Understandable feelings based on their play over the last six games. Anything can happen in a given game, especially on the road, but going into the season, the Tigers have certainly played the best basketball in the league during this stretch of games. I am a little surprised as to the overall talent level that Henderson has assembled and molded with the infusion of the freshmen class. Let's hope that they do not revert to bad play displayed earlier in the season or get overconfident -- I doubt it but they are young. Anything can happen during the course of the IL season.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-04-18 11:11 AM - Post#241958    
    In response to bradley

Of course, Bell's keys apply to any team you play. Not much news there. I really enjoyed the show. Derek Jones is very good and must be marked for bigger things as was his predecessor, Jon Sadak. I expect the Tigers to play well in The Cathedral; they usually do, winning twice in OT recently. Their last loss featured an egregious "no call" that should have given Will Barrett FT's. But the Tigers could play well and lose to this Penn team for sure. Last year's Palestra rout is the outlier in recent history. Let's hope the team bottomed out in the first half vs. Lehigh, probably the worst 20 minutes in the Henderson era. They will go as far as the defense can carry them and they have been getting better game by game for a month as the freshmen discovered that end of the floor. Watch the IvyHoopsOnline site for a podcast show hosted by the Dartmouth play by play team and featuring Quaker asst Bowman and Tiger asst McConnell. Should be fun.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-04-18 02:37 PM - Post#242008    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Too bad about Morales--I like the dimension he brings. If Gladson plays like the tantalizing tiny sample in Hawaii, that would be a plus.

I do feel that winning the turnover battle, within the normal structure of what the Tigers do, ought to be fairly predictive of victory during league play. Not many of these teams should be able to overcome getting fewer shot attempts than Princeton (although outlier shooting or fouling performance could tip it the other way occasionally). And I suspect that Princeton's OR percentage will tick up a bit in league vs. OOC play.

So I'm glad that MH has a focus on D. This team has lots of ways to score.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-04-18 03:07 PM - Post#242012    
    In response to SRP

We still have not replaced the dynamic that Cook gave us going to the hoop last year. For that we may have to wait for the super freshman next year.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-04-18 03:25 PM - Post#242017    
    In response to SRP

Even with Cannady cooling down on 3 pt shooting during the West Coast trip, the Tigers are still shooting 39% on their 3 pt attempts. With the big 3 and Much on the floor, no one shoots below 39% individually and each player is a threat. Key is to keep moving the ball until someone has a good look.

They are shooting slightly higher than last year but the opponents are shooting 36%, 3 pts higher than 2016-2017. There are probably 1 or 2 IL teams that can put 3 high percentage 3 pt shooters on the floor at one time. Obvious downside on a given night is that the Tigers may shoot 20-25%. I would not be surprised if Bell and Stephens go to the hoop Friday night and kick out to Cannady, Much, DesRosiers or Young.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-04-18 07:18 PM - Post#242038    
    In response to bradley

They may also do some guard post-ups with Bell or Stephens (on a switch). I also think Schweger may be able to get a lot of good looks cutting to the hoop as the defense keeps its eyes on the other players.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.548 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:55 AM