Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 8 « First<5678
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#20921)
TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Pennsylvania
01-06-18 06:57 PM - Post#242444    
    In response to TigerFan

Looked like an offensive foul and then a walk to me. Tough no calls

Edited by TigerFan on 01-06-18 06:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-06-18 07:00 PM - Post#242451    
    In response to TigerFan

DC with a great move to cut to 2 but then too much hero ball on the next trip misses the drive.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-06-18 07:01 PM - Post#242456    
    In response to TigerFan

Penn not helping itself from the foul line. Gotta score quickly this trip then foul and hope for another miss.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
01-06-18 07:04 PM - Post#242466    
    In response to TigerFan

Very absurd lob pass

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania
01-06-18 07:05 PM - Post#242467    
    In response to TigerFan

Our guys didn't wake up until midway through the 2nd half. Should have been more physical inside with Penn's iffy FT shooting.

With the Ivy tourney, it's not a big loss, but a good wakeup call for the guys. Maybe a little too pleased with themselves after their non-conf finish.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-06-18 07:06 PM - Post#242471    
    In response to TigerFan

Ugly end to an ugly game--badly botched alleyoop to Stephens, ugly step back missed 3 in the corner by Much and a weak fall away by Stephens in the lane. At least it was nice to get a couple of O rebounds.

I guess the rivalry is officially back on.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-06-18 07:11 PM - Post#242473    
    In response to TigerFan

I'll be a broken record here but I just don't understand why MH played 11 guys in the biggest game of the season so far. (Sorry, I'm not willing to join the crowd that just cares about making the end-of-year thing. I want to beat Penn every time we play them and want our best guys on the floor.)

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
01-06-18 08:27 PM - Post#242490    
    In response to TigerFan

It’s no longer a 14 game tournament, Henderson is wise not to coach that way anymore. Any game at the Palestra is going to be difficult. Chances are good that we will have to beat them there to get to the tourney.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-06-18 08:55 PM - Post#242493    
    In response to umbrellaman

That was a frustrating affair. You cannot allow Penn to go 22-38 from inside the arc, with almost every make at the rim. Nice job cutting off Betley's water in the second half, but jeez. Would have loved to see some zone cheating toward Betley. Make the other guys on that team put up shots from outside--they're mostly brickmasons. What the heck was going on?

Princeton could have scored much more efficiently if their eyes didn't get so big when they saw a mismatch where they would immediately go one-on-one. Penn had much the better ball movement and passing, which I hate to see. (Rothschild was really good for Penn, playing very solid perimeter defense at times while moving the basketball effectively and finishing in close. ) On the few possessions the Tigers did move without the ball and zip it around they got great looks. Penn was playing to cut off the three-point shot first, but with a little passing and off-ball screaming Princeton could have converted some of their 10 turnovers into extra trey attempts. And of course, just an average shooting performance on the shots they did take out there would have swung the game.

As for the rotation issue, my only concern is that some guys get in for a couple of possessions without settling in, like LeBlanc with a scattered 5 minutes. Arirguzoh could have used more than 4 minutes; I thought he gave the Penn bigs more physical resistance on both ends than the other post guys.

Officiating not as bad as i've seen in the past on Saturdays. At least they were fairly consistent in making it almost impossible to draw a charge while allowing dribblers to push off, dip the shoulder into a defender, etc., subject only to a set of random traveling calls. (Penn's guards might not have travelled on all those clumsy lose-possession-and-regai n-it drives, but it sure looked like there was a lot of missed foot-shuffling.)

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania
01-06-18 09:17 PM - Post#242495    
    In response to SRP

Like every other opponent we've faced, Penn was scoring at will one-on-one at the rim. Only Aririguzoh was able to get any stops by himself. We need more minutes for him, more hard double-teams inside, and more fouls to force bigs to make FTs. We fell back into bad habits in that area today.

It's a new age due to the Ivy tourney. Losing a close road game to a top 4 team is not a big deal anymore. Just learn and move onto the next game.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-06-18 09:47 PM - Post#242503    
    In response to SRP

Walkaways: Penn deserved to win as they played harder and smarter with good defense, Donahue had a very good strategy of not letting his bigs get trapped in the corner by making a quick pass unlike last year, Bentley clearly outplayed Stephens; interior defense other than Arirguzoh is an issue, etc. Refs were fine.

Tigers did not play desperate until the final 12 minutes instead of the entire game. When they played desperate, it showed. Bell played insanely competitive in 2nd half shutting down Bentley -- Cannady is a warrior. DesRosiers is going to be a very good player but defense needs to improve. They will be fine as the year progresses.

Palestra court was a joke tonight. May be smart not to have 4 and 6 year olds mop floor when it is wet and slippery. The woman giving out prizes took over the chore in the last few minutes after Foreman started to mop the floor with 6 minutes to go -- minor league. Palestra was pretty dead for a big win.

Looking forward to the rematch at Jadwin.

palestra38 
Professor

01-06-18 11:02 PM - Post#242511    
    In response to bradley

I agree with your analysis.

But it's Betley, not Bentley--that's what old Princeton grads drive.

And it wasn't the court--it was having 6 year olds who had no concept of what to do mopping the floor after players went to the ground.

And I am embarrassed as a Penn fan that they hired a DJ company like a bad NBA team to lead cheers (wasn't it great when she implored fans to stand and no one did?) and MC'd the various contests.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-06-18 11:24 PM - Post#242520    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Palestra was pretty dead for a big win.

Students still on break; extreme cold held down other attendance. Mrs. Perry and I went to the Shake Shack two blocks away for the post-game feast, and that was definitely doing less business than usual (in that we only had to wait in line two minutes to order rather than 10. ) Traffic seemed lighter than usual as well; I only had to slow down below 30 once on the Schuylkill.

It could have been worse; the high in Hanover was -1, and the prediction for the overnight low was -18.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

palestra38 
Professor

01-06-18 11:33 PM - Post#242522    
    In response to dperry

A lot of people who would have come last night had plans for today. 2 of my 5 tickets were unused because of that and I know many people simply could not make it on that kind of short notice.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
Pennsylvania
01-07-18 12:23 AM - Post#242528    
    In response to palestra38

Just be happy shake shack was open. They had been closing at 5 all break.

As to the ballboys, the littlest kid was wearing Princeton gear for what it's worth. No idea how that happens. It was almost like they grabbed the nearest kid they could find.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Pennsylvania
01-07-18 01:35 AM - Post#242537    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Palestra was pretty dead for a big win.

Do you think Penn WANTED to have this game played during its Winter Break?

Edited by penn nation on 01-07-18 01:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Re: Pennsylvania
01-07-18 02:01 AM - Post#242538    
    In response to penn nation

In days of olde, the first game would have been in a month and the second would have been after the last weekend of the league, and probably for the whole shootin’ match. But now we have our tourney.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Pennsylvania
01-07-18 04:34 AM - Post#242540    
    In response to umbrellaman

Tough but good game and this is a very good Princeton team. Cannady especially impresses me, so nice to finally see a Penn team beat him. Going to be a heck of an interesting Ivy season especially once Aiken gets back for Harvard and assuming Mason comes back for Yale.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Pennsylvania
01-07-18 08:40 AM - Post#242542    
    In response to penn nation

It was winter break -- it was cold -- it was a postponement but it is a major city in the U.S. and there was a small crowd of mostly older people who were pretty laid back during the game. I met a very kind Penn alumni who came to the Palestra at 6m last night only to go to the Drexel game and he asked me how did I know last night's game was cancelled. Glorious win for Penn without many people seeing it other than attendees and ILDN.

Players from both teams had trouble keeping their footing -- may have been a function of the outside/inside temperature with some warming up due to people in the building. Foreman did the best job of mopping up. Announcer for games and prizes hurt one's ears. My son who attended a wonderful ACC school at a historical venue had some fun with me regarding IL BB yesterday.

Palestra is a great classical building and deserved better. Poorly handled by Penn Athletic Department from Friday afternoon going forward. Not a great advertisement for the Palestra as to IL Tournament in March. I have always expressed a preference for the Palestra for the tournament if the silly tournament is held but ... Hopefully, Robin and the merry men will have contingencies in March. If IL wants to enhance reputation, schools need to step up.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
01-07-18 09:07 AM - Post#242543    
    In response to bradley

great win Penn and the Palestra will be rocking again real soon!

Page 5 of 8 « First<5678
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.157 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:35 AM