Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 9 of 11 « First<891011
Username Post: Princeton Game        (Topic#20923)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-06-18 09:20 PM - Post#242498    
    In response to Old Bear

Refs were consistently pro-dribbler, to an absurd extent at times. Otherwise not too bad.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-06-18 09:27 PM - Post#242501    
    In response to SRP

Because both teams, failing at the 3, went full bore towards the basket. So neither had any basis to complain about the fact the refs let them charge or walk a bit. Refs were consistent.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
01-06-18 11:01 PM - Post#242510    
    In response to palestra38

In response to an earlier post, it was Bell, not Stephens, who did a great defensive job on Betley in the second half. But.... WE WON!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-06-18 11:28 PM - Post#242521    
    In response to SteveChop

4 hours later and it feels just as good now. What a tremendous win. The interesting things for me were:

The defense was awesome. Princeton was cold early but everything after that was a result of just great d. I don't think they got beat backdoor a single time all game. When was the last time that happened? The bigs were great and the others were as well. Even though the offense can struggle at times without real 3 point danger or a true pg, the d from Woods/Foreman is crucial.

Max just wanted it more. He was even pumping up the crowd after the red and the blue. I have never seen him like that and he is a difference maker this year, as we need him to be. Some of those passes were incredible. Awesome stuff.

Betley continues to be the star that we need him to be. When Princeton has to change their entire gameplan because of him, you know he is special. I'm still stunned he missed both free throws and I'd like to see him get a little more aggressive when getting denied, even if it means forcing things, but sometimes you have to give the defense credit too.

AJ's baseline j was indeed the shot of the game. I don't want to think about what might have been if it hadn't fallen, but it was confident, smooth and certainly took advantage of the freshman (who is going to be a major pain in the butt for 4 years). As for the 3s, I don't have the heart to go back and look, but if he has made more than 1 out of his last 15 I'd be stunned. Most of them are wide open too. I had high hopes he could have turned into Zoller from out there...I guess there's still time.

Antonio was everything those of us who have ever touted him always say. His athleticism and ability to finish around the basket was a major difference maker.

How about Devon all of a sudden getting run, and early run at that? He made a couple of nice plays too.

It was really encouraging to see Jarrod do what he did with his limited minutes. That spin move was gorgeous and in no way did he look lost out there. He'll learn with the silly fouls and I only wish Eddie had the chance to get some of these minutes too. I guess it's pretty bad, huh? Do we know how it happened?

I have to also give props to the coach. We had a very dark 10 years and to have us in this position is just awesome. Congrats to the team who I'm sure feels fantastic.

Now I just need to figure out a way to watch the end of the Eagles next week from the Palestra without slingbox. I can't imagine streaming from inside will work too well...

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-06-18 11:51 PM - Post#242523    
    In response to Quakers03

On Betley, I agree that he needs to get more aggressive than he was in the 2nd half. Curious if it was by design or not. It seemed almost as if we decided a few minutes into the 2nd half that we would take what they were giving us and have Betley just stay on the perimeter and keep Bell out there. To me though, what makes Betley so great is his movement without the ball. i think we (or Betley, if he got frustrated and stopped moving) need to keep him in motion, because that is what creates true dagger plays where you feel like you blanketed him for 25 seconds and then he still eventually gets free and burns you.

Of course, when I go back and watch again, it may turn out he was doing what he usually does in the 2nd half, and Bell just denied him. No disrespect to Bell or Henderson intended -- they obviously made an effective adjustment and executed. I just think we may have let what they were doing impact us a little more than we should have.

pennsive 
Junior

01-07-18 12:01 AM - Post#242525    
    In response to Quakers03

A blessing on our heads, mazel tov, mazel tov, to see the curse now shed, mazel tov, mazel tov...

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-07-18 12:01 AM - Post#242526    
    In response to Quakers03

Chiming in late to say that was a really good game and a battle, but especially fun because we won.

Princeton is a good team and it wasn't like we shot outshot them from 3 like Dayton. Cannady is a HELL of a player so loved seeing Betley and him each making tough shots in that first half. Credit to Bell for denying Betley all second half, but great job by our bigs to take advantage when they went away from the double.

Just the first game in a looong league season and a lot left to do, but a great start!

LET'S GO QUAKERS!

Quakers03 
Professor

01-07-18 12:06 AM - Post#242527    
    In response to SomeGuy

Agreed. Apparently the game aired on Comcast's other sports channel, and just re-aired too. I only caught the last 10 minutes (and am angry about not checking sooner) but Ryan came in with the quote of the night when asked about being hot. "I knew I was on fire when I woke up."

One more Palestra game note. Maybe next time they have a doubleheader they can fix the scoreboard and not leave the women's stats up all game. The other scoreboard hasn't had stats in a while.

Quakers03 
Professor

01-07-18 12:50 AM - Post#242530    
    In response to palestra38

By the way, Antonio would have completely changed our season last year.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-07-18 12:50 AM - Post#242531    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:

One more Palestra game note. Maybe next time they have a doubleheader they can fix the scoreboard and not leave the women's stats up all game. The other scoreboard hasn't had stats in a while.

Actually, they weren't correct for the women, either. I have no idea what is going on there. The regular scoreboard hasn't worked right all year, but this is the first time the video board went on the fritz. Thank goodness the clock and other functions are working, at least.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-07-18 01:30 AM - Post#242536    
    In response to pennsive

And we're now #1....see ya Mitch Henderson...the Tigers now have been foiled.

• pennsive Said:
A blessing on our heads, mazel tov, mazel tov, to see the curse now shed, mazel tov, mazel tov...

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
01-07-18 08:39 AM - Post#242541    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
  • Chip Bayers Said:
Stephens totally shutting down Betley.

If I were to just read your posts and nothing else, I would think we are getting beat by 20+

lol, i was thinking the same thing. Negative Nelly

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-07-18 10:08 AM - Post#242547    
    In response to Charlie Fog

With regards to the second half, my guess is that Donahue wanted to get the big men more involved so the focus of P on Ryan was just fine. Before the game (and now) my thinking was that the big men is where we have an advantage over P and something we needed to focus on to win. A red hot Betley is always welcome but expecting him to repeat his 1H performance in the 2H was not going to be the best gameplan.

Either way, a great win. And feeling that we are finally out of the wilderness: PRICELESS!

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-07-18 11:11 AM - Post#242553    
    In response to 91Quake

I want to reiterate the play, albeit brief, of Jarrod Simmons. His two buckets in 7 minutes were both impressive and signs he is coming around. His 4 fouls were signs he has a way to go (two of them were stupid fouls on his part).

His first bucket was a cut off a Max double in the post and was Max's only outlet, really savy by Jarrod to cut and a great finish. His spin move from the right wing with a left hand finish was a thing of beauty. His block was a great play too.

Jarrod needs to continue to come on the floor and play with energy and make plays. That kid will win us a couple games this year if he stays aggressive.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-07-18 11:14 AM - Post#242555    
    In response to PennFan10

The great irony about AJ's crucial bucket over Much in the final minute that stretched the lead from 2-4 was that Much was guarding him. That's because MH had put Stephens on Max down the stretch because Max was killing Princeton. Big bucket in a big moment for AJ. He needed that as much as Penn did.

Quakers03 
Professor

01-07-18 11:36 AM - Post#242560    
    In response to PennFan10

The biggest thing with me for Jarrod was seeing him fit in completely. That is a moment that a freshman can get lost in, and he didn't. The energy he brought cannot be understated either. The block and then three from Betley may have been as loud as the place got all night...until Cannady immediately drilled another one to cut it back to 10. He can bring instant offense, which is a big benefit.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

01-07-18 11:44 AM - Post#242562    
    In response to 91Quake

Totally agree. I think the strategy of running Ryan to the opposite side of the court and letting Max and others attack the rim was very smart. Any single player can be negated. SD’s strategy in dealing with Princeton’s approach was a good one. Importantly - the others stepped up, especially Max who had a great game.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-07-18 12:10 PM - Post#242571    
    In response to AsiaSunset

The coaching staff is the reason why we can say so complementary things about so many different players. They set up players to succeed. I've been real tired of watching Penn get consistently outcoached by Henderson and by Johnson before him. That didn't happen yesterday - it was on the players to come through and they did.

I hope our recruiting targets were paying attention.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
01-07-18 12:15 PM - Post#242574    
    In response to TheLine

I think Donahue outcoached Henderson a couple of times last season. However, at that point, Penn's combination of talent, experience, depth and execution wasn't strong enough to get the win. That's not the case this year.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-07-18 12:23 PM - Post#242581    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Having just read the thread, want to add a couple of things. As for Jarrod - did some good things, especially on defense, but also got called for a few freshman fouls in short order. He and Much are going to see a lot of each other for the next few years.

I might have missed it in a ll the commentary, but there were at least 3 circus shots Penn made in this game, two by Betley and one by Woods that saved possessions that were on life support. Can't count on those again.

I was hoping before the game we would see some AJ in the post without Max lineups of the sort we saw last year, especially when they were focusing on Betley. That happened, but for some reason, AJ is getting shots in those situations, but coming up short quite a bit. It's as if he's having trouble getting off his feet, Fortunately, he made a couple at the end when we needed them. We also saw Max get some solo time in the post with good results, he even had one inside with his left hand which I have never seen before.

Goodman had a nice game, even slowing down Cannady a bit and his knack for rebounding was also in evidence.

One thing I hope I never see again is JD and Wood out there at the same time. That is madness. I'd much rather see Jones out there against a big lineup if they need to break a zone.

These Penn and Princeton rosters create some great matchups on the court. I was big fin watching the chess game between the coaches from sect. 104.

On to the next games of the very long homestand.

Page 9 of 11 « First<891011
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:44 AM