Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: At Lafayette        (Topic#20930)
Bison7882 
Junior
Bison7882
Reg: 11-24-13
01-08-18 11:21 PM - Post#242783    
    In response to bison63

I'll be very interested to see this team with Mackenzie and Toomer back. I'm sure they will be rusty but I'm hoping to see more spark and energy. But what I'm really hoping to see is some additional quality three point shooting.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-08-18 11:40 PM - Post#242785    
    In response to Bison7882

I remember us needing OT to escape a lowly Lafayette team a couple years ago. I'll take every W and move on to the next game.

I thought there were a few instances where Zach was a little too pre-determined to shoot the ball no matter what, including the play that led to the traveling call at the end of regulation.

I wonder if Sestina's hip is bugging him again.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
01-09-18 12:57 AM - Post#242789    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

One comment. The Bison committed a defensive blunder at the end of regulation. In the final few seconds, leading by three, they had two opportunities to deliberately foul and send LC to the line for two - one on the rebound and one when LC put the ball to the floor prior to the game-tying three. With time running out, it should be mandatory to foul IF you can make sure it is not a shooting foul from behind the arc. In this case, the foul would have been easy and giving up a possible two free throws would have been far better than giving a good 3-point shooter a chance to tie the game. Don't know if the blame goes to the coaches for not preparing them to foul if the clock got close to zero or if it goes to the players for not doing what they were supposed to do.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
01-09-18 09:52 AM - Post#242795    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
I remember us needing OT to escape a lowly Lafayette team a couple years ago. I'll take every W and move on to the next game.

Amen BRW. Lehigh @ home on Thursday.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-09-18 10:29 AM - Post#242796    
    In response to jkrun80

LC actually seems to have improved greatly from earlier this season, and given their youth that trend likely continues. That said it is not really about them being better than expected, it is about us not playing as well as we should. It has happened all too often this season.

Again, I am confounded by the lack of a TO call when we are being run off the court.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-18 10:52 AM - Post#242797    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:

Again, I am confounded by the lack of a TO call when we are being run off the court.

Agree. ND seems overly insistent on hoarding the first half use-it-or-lose-it timeout 'til the final minute of the half. I think it's more valuable when employed to stop an opponent's run than it is planning a final shot of the half.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
01-09-18 11:06 AM - Post#242799    
    In response to Bison137

Question for those who watched past few games. Appears that Thomas and Nana getting doubled yet no one seems to have stepped up to take pressure off. In the past great days of McNaughton and Muscala, Bison had shooters to make other teams spread the floor. Is anyone stepped up to play that role?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-18 11:25 AM - Post#242801    
    In response to HoleinOne

• HoleinOne Said:
Question for those who watched past few games. Appears that Thomas and Nana getting doubled yet no one seems to have stepped up to take pressure off. In the past great days of McNaughton and Muscala, Bison had shooters to make other teams spread the floor. Is anyone stepped up to play that role?

Depends on the game. At Army, a lot of guys stepped up: Moore 17 points, Sotos 13 points, Robertson 11 points, Jones 7 - plus Brown with 19. Last night, other than Thomas and Foulland, only Brown put up a lot of points (19), although his shooting - like most of the team - was not very consistent. Don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the winning basket was his 1000th career point.

One difference between last night and Army is that, while LC focused on Nana and Zach, they didn't do it nearly to the extreme that Army did. Another difference is that at Army, the other players mad a high pct of their open shots. Last night they didn't.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
At Lafayette
01-09-18 11:29 AM - Post#242802    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
LC actually seems to have improved greatly from earlier this season, and given their youth that trend likely continues.

Agree completely. Look at their four PL games:

- Lost by five to Lehigh after leading for much of the game.

- Beat Holy Cross by 12 points.

- Beat Colgate (2-0 in PL at that point) on the road.

- Took Bucknell to OT.

Seems like they will beat a few first division teams as the season progresses.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
01-09-18 12:14 PM - Post#242803    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:

He called one when the margin reached just six points, at 5:50 in the first half. At the time, I actually thought that was maybe too quick. In any event, it was quicker than he normally calls them.

I guess you guys are saying you wanted yet another one when the lead reached 10 or 13 soon after that?
http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats /20...

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: At Lafayette
01-09-18 01:17 PM - Post#242805    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
The win notwithstanding, this team is an underachiever. Period.

Husky, I was thinking the same thing throughout the entire game. At some point, the head coach and the seniors need to light a fire under everybody's backsides. This team has too much talent to play so poorly.

Also, I might be opening a can of worms, but Lafayette is the whitest team that I have ever seen. Do they have a difficult time recruiting?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-18 01:28 PM - Post#242806    

I'm not going to get too disappointed about the Bison performance until I see how they play with a healthy Kimbal Mackenzie and a healthy Avi Toomer. I think we sometimes forget how valuable those two were last year. Kimbal was the ONLY soph (or freshman) of all the PL teams to make All-PL. By that standard, he could be regarded as the league's best sophomore. And Avi was nationally ranked in steals and generally played really good defense against wings who the Bison have struggled to defend in his absence. Also was able to create shots when necessary and had a 55% effective FG pct.

I think we will see a significantly stronger Bison team in February.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
01-09-18 01:36 PM - Post#242807    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
I'm not going to get too disappointed about the Bison performance until I see how they play with a healthy Kimbal Mackenzie and a healthy Avi Toomer.

Good point. I was thinking last night as I read some of the despairing posts here that it must be a testament to our depth that so many people expect us to be romping through the league while missing two starters.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
01-09-18 02:15 PM - Post#242811    

Folks we are not Duke! We just won a road game in the conference and are tied for First place. The sky is not falling. I for one am in the there's no such thing as a bad road win camp.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-18 02:58 PM - Post#242813    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
One comment. The Bison committed a defensive blunder at the end of regulation. In the final few seconds, leading by three, they had two opportunities to deliberately foul and send LC to the line for two - one on the rebound and one when LC put the ball to the floor prior to the game-tying three. With time running out, it should be mandatory to foul IF you can make sure it is not a shooting foul from behind the arc. In this case, the foul would have been easy and giving up a possible two free throws would have been far better than giving a good 3-point shooter a chance to tie the game. Don't know if the blame goes to the coaches for not preparing them to foul if the clock got close to zero or if it goes to the players for not doing what they were supposed to do.

Just watched the replay. The Bison defensive blunder was even more egregious than I thought. They had Petrie dribbling the ball with his back to the basket with just over two seconds left. Mandatory to foul him at that point and send him to the line for two shots - trailing by three.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
01-09-18 03:08 PM - Post#242815    
    In response to Bison137

You say "mandatory," but it must be said that many (perhaps even most?) coaches don't subscribe to the school of thought that says foul the other team if you're up by a three-point margin in the waning seconds.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
At Lafayette
01-09-18 03:25 PM - Post#242816    

All NBA teams and many of the better-coached college teams foul IF they can foul in the final 1-4 seconds with no risk of a 3-shot foul. It has been proven by many analyses that the teams that don't foul in these situations are making a major mistake. The reason appears to be the the coaches are so afraid of the 1% of the time when it may not work that they accept the other team making a tying shot 25% of the time.

I think the fact that it is normal practice in the NBA - where there are far more analytics and much more advanced thinking - speaks to the necessity of fouling that late in the game up three.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
01-09-18 07:21 PM - Post#242822    
    In response to Bison137

137 - I realize you have qualified your post by saying 1-4 seconds. The distinction I see is that LU was out of TO"s. I don't think it was appealing for ND to stop the clock for them under any circumstance. There are two dangers; one, he sees the wrap up coming, shoots at the same time and the ref gives them the homer call that he drew the foul in the act. Two, he converts the two FT's and you can't inbound in 5 ticks and the holocaust outcome changes from OT to a potential loss. Imagine the Tuesday morning QBing on that! The really uncanny thing was it was a replay of the HC action when we were forced into OT at Sojka in the PL. Tough call either way...damned if you do

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
01-09-18 07:25 PM - Post#242823    
    In response to Old Bison

I don't know how you watch replays so I can't see the final play in regulation. If anything appeared egregious in my estimation it was why BM didn't pickup Petrie earlier on the first attempt. They inbounded at 12 ticks and the kid dribbled up and took a three from two feet behind the line. Am I wrong in that from someone who has access to the replay? Can anyone post a link to that segment of the archive? Love to see again

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
01-09-18 08:11 PM - Post#242824    
    In response to Old Bison

Here is a link to the full game replay. https://watchstadium.com/live/bucknell-at-lafa yett...

I'm no expert, but I'm with 137 on this one. Definitely should have fouled after the first miss.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.147 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:50 PM