Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#20950)
91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-12-18 11:14 PM - Post#243345    
    In response to Chip Bayers

No, I'm discounting the highlight of those blocks as some kind of fantastic highlights in a game they never lead, are losing and his offensive performance was hardly a highlight.

Way to pick a fight. Go fight with Jeff2SF .

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
01-12-18 11:17 PM - Post#243346    
    In response to 91Quake

Well I couldn't watch the second half, but seems like that was for the best. Will take an 8 point win, but shooting even mediocre on FTs would have made this a comfortable win. First FT disaster bullet dodged...

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-12-18 11:20 PM - Post#243348    

A conference "W" is always welcome, even if it was a little more stressful than it should have been.

Great defense. Morgan's 13 points is a season low (Syracuse held him to 14). Morgan and Gettings combined average is 40.7. Tonight, they were held to 33.

They held the Big Red to 61 points, 21% from three and 50% from two. Penn did a much better job on offensive boards in the 2nd half.

Penn shot 33% from three (40% first half and 25% in 2nd) and 50% from two. 48% from the free throw line (11-23 total and 9-20 in 2nd half).

Brodeur goes 18 points and 9 rebounds
Rothschild has 7 points and 5 assists (0 points, 1 assist and 3 fouls in 2nd half)
Betley had 13 points, but only 3 in the second half (0-3 FG and 3-6 FT)

If not for the FT shooting, it would have been a comfortable win. Hopefully, Penn can find a way to get better FT shooting and get Betley more involved in the 2nd half so these games don't have to be so close at the end.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Cornell
01-12-18 11:20 PM - Post#243349    
    In response to Mike Porter

Umm, I’m not the one who picked the fight.

I like how “Morgan has embarrassed both Goodman and Wood” has become “some kind of fantastic highlights.”

It was a 4-point game with 53 seconds left. If you don’t think Morgan stuffing two different Penn guys in transition - badly, embarrassingly - didn’t matter in making it a close game in the final minute, you’re a dunce.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-12-18 11:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-12-18 11:59 PM - Post#243352    

Just some random thoughts:

19 years later and I still can't look at Brian Earl without hearing the entire student section yelling a particular chant about him taking something somewhere.

Max's passing continues to be awesome and I question whether his 5th foul was actually on him but he was certainly hurt by foul trouble.

AJ was incredibly active tonight and was able to score, including finally hitting a 3. It really is a shot that can change games if he can ever figure it out.

The Darnell charge call may have saved the game and the non foul when Morgan was hit shooting a 3 looms large as well. Speaking of Morgan, I was amazed at how little he was touching the ball. Obviously Gettings was going off, but they seemed more intent on trying to free him up off of screens rather than just letting him create.

Jarrod's fouls, all the free throws and some very rushed and poor shots highlight the negatives, but a win is a win is a win. It's nice to be in first place all alone.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Cornell
01-12-18 11:59 PM - Post#243353    

Back from the game---man was that excruciating.

This easily could have been Toledo II, but defense won it for us. Great play by all the guards guarding Morgan, who had nothing until it essentially was over (other than the missed FTs, which we MUST correct). Great defense on the passing lanes, especially by Betley, who seemed to get his hand on any ball crossing the lane. Questionable control of the pace by our coach, who allowed the team to make Penn-Duke '78 type drives early in the shot clock when we could have run time off and clinched the game. But overall, as many have said, I'll take the W and hope tomorrow is easier.

P.S., Rothschild has improved beyond my wildest hopes---he is Mr. Assist. Some really questionable calls inside against him and other big men that didn't seem to go our way on the other end, but it didn't matter.

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-13-18 12:07 AM - Post#243355    

Try not to be a douchebag. We can all tell it is very hard.

But the reason the game was close probably had a little more to do with horrific FT shooting.

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
Reg: 12-06-04
01-13-18 12:17 AM - Post#243356    

I don’t post often (‘nuff said there). But, Chip, why must you always be such an a $&@“? We are Penn fans, or Penn faithful. There is no need to foster a “consume one’s own” mentality. At long last, can’t you just knock it the hell off? It’s beyond boorish. Just stop. Same to Jeff2sf. Just knock it the hell off.

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
01-13-18 12:23 AM - Post#243357    
    In response to 91Quake

My apologies to the faithful (and, perhaps, the faithless). The level of toxicity on this site is, at best, breathtaking. Just stop the arrogant pontificating and unctuous self agrandizement. Share your thoughtful observations and side splitting and mid section witticisms (you are Ivy Leaguers, BTW). The venom and Love Canal-esquires cancerous nonsense on the Penn board is befitting a Niagara board. You can do better. Please enlighten us. Don’t disappoint us, and certainly don’t embarrass us. I am, by the way, not an “auslander” (W ‘78) but as a 30 plus year season ticket holder, I cringe, and now my three children (all raised as Penn faithful, even though we drive 1 1/2 hours to, and from W Philadelphia for sporting events) at the selfish, self satisfied belly rubbing crap that fellow Quakers post here. Just knock it off. Please.

Edited by omegahouse on 01-13-18 12:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-13-18 12:35 AM - Post#243359    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
Well, results is results is results. Root 'em home for me tomorrow, all; I'll be watching the Birds.

Please don't make me feel any guiltier than I already do for choosing to sit in the Palestra over the Linc tomorrow...

palestra38 
Professor

01-13-18 01:11 AM - Post#243368    
    In response to omegahouse

Here here. (from a fellow '78 alum waiting for that 40th reunion!)

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
01-13-18 01:28 AM - Post#243370    
    In response to palestra38

Blah blah blah from anonymice who are too gutless to put their own names behind their personal attacks.

In the middle of game action I praised an opponent player’s execution on two plays. I’m really not sorry to those who think that was verboten.

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
01-13-18 01:46 AM - Post#243374    

Well, Chip, my name is Sam Fry. There you have it: a name behind the pseudonym. I graduated in May 1978 (undergraduate). I’ve attended hundreds of football, basketball, lax, and Penn Relays events. My grandfather and great grand father are alums. My roots run deep when it comes to Pennsylvania. My kids live (and, sometimes, whither and die) with the Quakers. I have reached critical mass when it comes to the crassness and crap on this board. Why must we all gyrate in the muck? What the hell is so damn difficult with thoughtful, measured, and just plain decent exchanges re: the Quakers, and the League, in general??

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
01-13-18 02:06 AM - Post#243375    

Anyone who wants to confront me for being too outspoken about the current negative energy on this board, or for being a dithering apostate, we sit in Sec. 104, row 2, seats 5 and 6 (perfect seats to remind Mitch Henderson that he might consider paying a visit to Jay Wright’s tailor!!). Please stop by and chat about Quaker glories past, current, and upcoming. My wife is a Penn State grad, so be prepared to defend the merits (and limited demerits) of IL football (my wife is Ali, BTW, and she has become a huuuuuge Penn, Big Five, and IL fan). She’d love to meet you and chat you up!!

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Cornell
01-13-18 02:12 AM - Post#243376    

I totally agree Sam.

I’m very sorry I forced Quaker91 to react so defensively to my mention seconds after Morgan had blocked Wood that it was the second time in the half he had done that to a Penn player on the break.

Sure, an unusual occurrence had been repeated, but it was unacceptable for me to note that in the course of game action. It obviously needed to be snarked at by Quaker91 pointing out how equally embarrassing Morgan’s 1-12 shooting on offense had been to that point. Because quid pro quo and cogito ergo sum.

Seriously, I will never, ever again note something positive done by an opponent. As I said, verboten.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-13-18 02:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
01-13-18 02:41 AM - Post#243378    

Chip,
Far be it for me to weigh in on particular posts. You have been a long time (and, perhaps, like many of us in the “silent majority/minority/peanut gallery”) observer and contributor. You add much more than you subtract from this board, and we are all grateful for your thoughtful posts. I only felt compelled to weigh in now, after years (more than a decade, actually, and long enough to remember a previous incarnation of BRF) of cringing on reading incindiary and quite personal frontal assaults on other posters. Might we now dispense with the arm wrestling in the gutter? The programme is pointed upward, as and where it should be. Let’s rise to the occasion. The players have. The coaches have. Why not those who follow and observe?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

01-13-18 08:22 AM - Post#243380    

This game had the feel of many of the games we will be playing in league this year. The FT shooting is definitely problematic if we want to win most of these - especially during the back to backs on the road.

On a side note I watched Brown at Yale before the Penn game. That Brown team just might have the most athletic players in the league; yet, they don't seem to have a mix which will win that many games. Penn, on the other hand, is not as athletic, but the team chemistry just feels so much better. The passing is much improved and the balance between the front court players and our guard and wing players is a strength. One disappointment last night was the number of fouls committed but, as others have commented, the refs were not the best.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
01-13-18 09:21 AM - Post#243382    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I've noticed that for some reason the athletic department has made it more difficult to find a link to the game notes on the website. If any of you guys have figured out how to find that information consistently, I'd appreciate it if you would post it.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Cornell
01-13-18 09:33 AM - Post#243384    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I'll second what P38 said earlier. When Morgan has a poor performance the defense has something to do with it.

Another thing - it's a measure of improvement that the team can play below expectations and still win wire to wire.

Anemic FT shooting is what concerns me most about this team.

And Chip - it's totally OK to say nice things about the opponents when they do something well. It's also OK to be evenhanded about Penn. I read your comments was sure we lost by 20. I apologize for being urinated off by your Dayton commentary during that game, but can you please re-read your posts and see for yourself why some of us have reacted to your in-game commentary the way we do?

2 down. Next game tonight.

PS - 8 attempts by Darnell. Colin's Rule holds. Maybe the rule needs to be amended to be a Penn win when Darnell makes 10 attempts or fewer?

Edited by TheLine on 01-13-18 09:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-13-18 09:34 AM - Post#243385    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

http://www.pennathletics.com/news/2018/1/12/mens-b ...

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.667 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:35 PM