Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Lehigh Game        (Topic#20951)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
01-12-18 11:24 AM - Post#243161    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Wishing Matt a speedy recovery, but it appears to be season ending.

Btw, is it fair to ask if both these kids might have made their injuries worse by trying to play through them? Bucknell is so mum about saying anything about injuries.

Not sure it is season-ending. O'Reilly himself said he is supposed to be out six weeks - which could get him back for the final one or two regular season games. Since it has reportedly bothered him all season, there is definitely the possibility that it may have affected his shooting and overall play all year.

In Mackenzie's case, from all of what I read I don't think he made it worse - it just didn't get better. Numerous pro athletes continued to play with a torn abdominal muscle. Many got better. Some did not - and eventually opted for surgery. Hard to tell with O'Reilly. Stress reactions are often tough to diagnose, especially if the athlete has the mentality of playing through it. I think the Bucknell medical staff generally does a very good job - especially with all the collaboration they now have with Geisinger.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-12-18 11:36 AM - Post#243162    
    In response to Bison137

Thanks 137

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
01-12-18 11:41 AM - Post#243163    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Bison 63 - you’re not on a high horse and I for one appreciate and support your sentiments. I have read this board for over a decade and never posted and have been contemplating recently about reverting to my prior MO (cheers from the gallery). I have posted such sentiments as well and have, in my mind, done a pretty good job of keeping negative commentary on both personnel and strategy as holistic as possible. Additionally, in cases where I have questioned performance, strategy or thought process I have limited it to addressing specific instances and to include supporting viewpoints to try to offer perspective and/or context. Hell, I have trouble even writing the kids names (as I have previously explained) and people are bitching even though it’s clear who We are talking about. Should we post a jpeg with their pictures? Secondly, you’re either a fan and you support the program or your not and you don’t. This issue of the team sucks when they lose and are great when they wil is laughable. The season is 30+ games and it wasn’t won or lost against BU in game 2. We’ve been on a long run of 20+ winning seasons and have been blessed with the coaching leadership and the stability we’ve enjoyed. You can’t like the coaching staff one game and then not 2 games later. It defies logic/reality. If we shoot 30% and lose you can’t come out and say I’m off the bandwagon. If we face a 1-3-1 zone and it’s apparent we don’t know how to attack it then it’s valid to raise the issue of preparedness. I originally followed this Board almost strictly for the recruiting info and lists people took the time and interest to research and post and I would like to thank them as it gave me information and insight I didn’t have the time to generate myself. I do think there is a difference between saying someone had a bad shooting night or isn’t quick/strong enough to cover someone as opposed to something more direct or personal. It’s a really good board and I would ask everyone to not get defensive and attack me...I am not singling anyone out but rather supporting your sentiments and agreeing the same mea culpa you did. Let’s try to keep it at the team level. All of that said I had so many observations and concerns after Lafayette I didn’t even post for the very issue you’ve raised. For instance, there’s a real versatility issue with some of our guys. Has anybody looked at the ratio of some of our guys 3 pt FGA vs total FGA attempts (and not just MO)? We’ve got guys who just preponderantly shoot threes, we got guys who preponderantly shoot threes from only one specific area of the court. We got guys who don’t/can’t penetrate and can’t get to the rim. The difference btw KM and others is VAST. The difference btw AVI covering 2’s and wings is VAST. The game has changed so much since I played and even in how it is taught. Remember “never throw a cross court pass” and “don’t let anybody go baseline”. How about “basketball is a team game”. It’s still a team game but if your philosophy is 40 minutes of MTM it morphs...it’s now 5 guys in 5 individual wrestling matches and you have to win each individual wrestling match if you want to advance to the NCAA tournament and then advance within it. We need to get kids every year that fit that mold. It’s 5 guys in hand to hand combat. That’s the way the game is played today and you need versatility and you need to be able to defend against the dribble drive. If you can’t defend the dd and you can’t dd yourself you’re in trouble.

Well said, Old Bison. Your are a good writer with clear logical posts, this board needs you.

It was nice having Kimbal back. We were down 20-18 with about 6 minutes to go and Kimbal drains a three and puts us up 21-20. This is what we were missing. That gives something the big three can work with.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-12-18 12:31 PM - Post#243168    
    In response to Paulie777

Agree Phillie. Also found comments attributed to Brett Reid on air re: difference between frosh Zack and Zack now. Reid said “That’s easy, he could always shoot, but now he is a physical presence. Where he used to settle for 15 foot jumpers, now he forces his way to the hoop.”

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-12-18 01:04 PM - Post#243179    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Hell, I have trouble even writing the kids names...and people are bitching even though it’s clear who We are talking about.

It's clear to YOU who you're talking about. If all those initials were easily comprehended by us, we wouldn't bother saying anything.

The burden of effective communication lies with the communicator, not with the recipient of the communication.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
01-12-18 01:26 PM - Post#243180    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I thought you were married, BRW.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
01-12-18 01:29 PM - Post#243181    

BRW - C'mon

NJ - Jones
NS - Sestina
NF - Foulland
ZT - Thomas
BR - Ben
JM - Meeks
KM - Kimbal
BM - Bruce
JS - Sechan
MO - Matt
SB - Brown
Avi - Avi
BM - Bruce
ND - Coach
JJG - old washed up player

Highlight, control C, go to Word, control V = Glossary free of charge from the Old Bison

Old Bison 
Masters Student

01-12-18 01:52 PM - Post#243187    
    In response to Old Bison

FWIW - Nana went from 11-15/12-15 against American and LaSalle to 8,9,4,and 8 shots. James Karnik a freshman got 8 shots for Lehigh last night. It's a simplication because the other team is really concentrating on taking Nana away but at the same time its our job to not let them take Nana away. There are so many different aspects o this that its hard to identify them all in a short post. But lets start:

1. We don't high pick and roll with anybody put the 5 (this takes him away from the post

2. We NEVER get a basket or even a look off the roll (NF is good on the screen but not on the roll)

3. We never cross screen to free Nana to get the ball closer to the hoop. (i.e., we leave it for Nana to battle individually for post position and he's getting it too far off the box and in a lot of instances to close to the baseline

4. WE never dribble to the corner for the purpose of an entry pass

5. WE never go 3-2 and work high-low, use diagonal cuts, cross-screen and back screen in the interior.

6. OSN, Zach is passing up shot after shot at the 3 line and dribbling into tough double teams and high degree of difficulty attempts. It's hard to even bring this up because the guy is so effective it's really nit-picking. The point is that in order to perform at the OOC level we discussed we have to perform optimally why the other team justs has to perform close to their norm. He shoots 44.8% before last nights game from 3 if I'm correct. The ball fake to the floor is almost reflexive at this stage and I'd love to see him get back to catch and shoot and the 3 line. If you watched the Lafayette game and you didn't look at a stat sheet you would have said he had a tough game (yet he finished with 25 with not horrendous shooting stats). You could make the case that my assessment is wrong because he draws fouls and gets to the line on his drives and I would agree 100%. My point is he has gotten into a bad habit of turning his back INTO double teams and increasing the dod of his FGA's. Not a huge problem against Lehigh but if you do that against a #3 seed in the round of 64 its more problematic.

Enough for now - 2 very long posts...apologies

Old Bison 
Masters Student

01-12-18 01:59 PM - Post#243190    
    In response to Old Bison

Sorry - Nana has to get his shoulder at a 45 degree angle to his defender to be most effective. He rarely if ever catches and shoots (except for the unbelievable hook from the mid-post against Lehigh in the PL Championship last year with the shot clock at 1). He's being forced further out and once he puts the ball on the floor he's consistently being double teamed. In prior contests against better teams this lead to bad turnovers and run-outs. This has to be addressed and corrected and we gotta get the guy more than 8 shots a game. Nobody in the PL can guard him

Old Bison 
Masters Student

01-12-18 02:00 PM - Post#243191    
    In response to Old Bison

90 degree

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
01-12-18 03:54 PM - Post#243231    
    In response to Old Bison

They clearly need to find more creative ways to get Nana the ball. The seem to always send him to the block, send everyone else to the three point line and try to get the ball into him...very little creativity. It creates a situation that almost always results in a double team and give Foulland little to no room to work. He is pretty good about passing it out, but it creates at time a situation where the others are chucking up 3s. I agree there needs to be more picks off the ball for him, more pick and rolls, and more movement off the ball from the other four to punish the double and sometimes triple teams.

I do worry about Davis’s ability to adjust/implement this. It seems like the whole season this has been happening, yet I see very few new wrinkles.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
01-12-18 06:00 PM - Post#243253    
    In response to bison63

I agree 63 and I feel badly making disparaging comments. I wish Matt well and hope once he is healthy, he also finds the lethal jumper that made him a viable part of the rotation in past seasons.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
01-12-18 07:32 PM - Post#243261    
    In response to Old Bison

A true motion offense would help everyone. May sound unusual, but watch the UConn women play and their "bigs" gets open constantly under the basket. Great talent but top offense in nation. A few more reliable 3 point shooters would assist opening up the court as well.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
01-12-18 07:35 PM - Post#243263    
    In response to Old Bison

I did not see game and after reading all the posts, thought Bison had lost by 12-15. Whew!

Old Bison 
Masters Student

01-12-18 07:51 PM - Post#243266    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Good job HC...we can ALL do better!! I was furious at Bruce at VCU but I’ve met him before and he’s been easy to engage talkative and humorous and although I am not on the inside he doesn’t give me the impression he’s problematic. Nate Jones for instance is very different personally, not as easy to engage and quieter and probably engages when he has closer relationships with friends. My point is all the kids that I know that have come through the program over the years are really outstanding individuals. I would have really regretted making any negative noise about BM at a time he was probably down on himself already. The kids know when they’re in a slump and they don’t need us piling on. Thanks everyone for not ripping my head off and 63 thanks for reminding everybody we have to have guardrails. It’s a great Board when we all resist the natural tendency as fans to get frustrated when the team experiences challenges. Regards to all. 4-1!

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-15-18 01:01 AM - Post#243578    
    In response to Old Bison

Post-Lehigh press conference
https://youtu.be/KI-JkE5SWis

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
01-15-18 08:29 AM - Post#243580    

I tried to watch the archive video of the 2nd half, but the audio is out of sync with the video by 20-30 seconds. They're describing the next play after the one you're watching. I gave up after a few minutes.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.633 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:40 PM