Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#20977)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-14-18 09:16 AM - Post#243510    
    In response to 10Q

Come on---Princeton is our best win. Looks even better after this weekend.

And our team FT average is a putrid .63. It's not just the two of them, although both of them are pretty terrible. But AJ can shoot that 3, can't he. Almost single handedly (with a late assist from Betley) won that game yesterday

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-14-18 09:38 AM - Post#243512    
    In response to palestra38

This team has a vibe similar to the 1982 football team.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
01-14-18 09:47 AM - Post#243513    

The Princeton win is the most important and satisfying but winning at Dayton is more impressive.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
Columbia
01-14-18 09:52 AM - Post#243514    
    In response to TheLine

was that Tim Chambers' era? That dude was badass

Edited by Charlie Fog on 01-14-18 09:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

Columbia
01-14-18 09:58 AM - Post#243515    
    In response to Charlie Fog

Yes. And yes - both on and off the field.

Edited by TheLine on 01-14-18 09:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

10Q 
Professor

01-14-18 10:10 AM - Post#243516    

These are the 2 main culprits.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Columbia
01-14-18 10:10 AM - Post#243517    
    In response to TheLine

Speaking of whom (or related), Paul Chambers was at Wahoo's before the Princeton game.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
Columbia
01-14-18 10:59 AM - Post#243518    

Some of my thoughts and observations:

- I think the vibe is similar to the 2016 FB team-- a team this BB team had the opportunity to watch. They weren't the 'best' team in the conference (clearly, that was Princeton), but they were gutty and resourceful, and just kept figuring out how to win the game they were in at the time, managing to take a share of the title. In the last three games (also the Dayton game) this BB team has shown poise and maturity, as well as excellent decision-making. They've consistently gotten stops when they needed them, hit big shots when they needed to, and have definitely cut down on the dumb mistakes. This is new, and very nice to see.

- On a closely related note, I don't that, overall, the team played spectacularly well this weekend. However, they stayed frosty and managed to win. As others have pointed out, up until very recently, a Penn team wouldn't have been able to do that. Credit to the coaches.

- Brodeur was really in form this weekend. Some likely reasons for that: 1) Other teams have figured out that they must direct significant defensive attention to Rothschild, which has to create opportunities for AJ. 2) His 3-pt shot may be starting to fall. I was hopeful it would (as, I bet, were AJ and the coaches), as his form is good and he's taking it in the correct situations-- he's not forcing it. If we have, indeed, entered a new era of AJ hitting from 3, other teams are going to be forced to adjust. 3) Figuring out his new PF role has understandably taken some time, and AJ seems to have made significant progress to that end in recent weeks. I'll bet that has taken a lot of hard work. Now, if only he could learn to hit a FT. 4) ILDN announcers hypothesized that the fact that AJ is consistently attempting 3s (even though he hadn't been hitting too many of them before tonight) is creating opportunities for him to work his way inside and score. I hope that's correct.

- Max is going to have to figure out how to deal with all his newfound defensive attention. I predict (hope?) he will.

- Caleb Wood and the coaches seem to have figured out a very productive role for him. Has anybody noticed that, while he's been missing from 3, he's been getting inside baskets off rebounds and loose balls recently? He also seems to be playing solid defense and getting a lot of rebounds.

- Pound for pound, Antonio Woods may be the strongest Penn BB player I've seen. And he knows how to use that strength.

- Jackson Donahue has made a lot of his limited minutes recently. He's not forcing up dumb 3s, is moving the ball well, and is doing his job on defense.

- Columbia's not a very good team yet. They have some good players, and I think their coach probably knows what he's doing, but they haven't yet figured out how to be a good team. I'm confident they will, but probably not this season. Light Blue fans just need to hang in there. (See, that was nice, wasn't it? And I didn't even make a snarky comment about their wretched little gym.)

11Quakers 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
01-14-18 11:14 AM - Post#243519    
    In response to Silver Maple

Columbia at this point all isolation play. They had a grand total of 3 assists for the entire game. There game plan seemed to be have Smith run down the floor as fast as he could (which is faster than most anybody else) and throw up a shot.

And although he is a dynamic player that is not, by itself, a winning formula.

For Penn both scores closer than the flow of the game indicated because (as has been noted before) very poor foul shooting. That goodness for C. Wood hitting some down the stretch.

10Q 
Professor

01-14-18 11:15 AM - Post#243520    
    In response to 11Quakers

The AJ 3 at the first half buzzer and the Max free throws after the delay stand out for me as the plays of the game.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
01-14-18 11:39 AM - Post#243521    
    In response to 11Quakers

• 11Quakers Said:

For Penn both scores closer than the flow of the game indicated because (as has been noted before) very poor foul shooting. That goodness for C. Wood hitting some down the stretch.

The other problem they had this weekend (uncharacteristically) was getting beaten WRT rebounding.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-14-18 12:42 PM - Post#243526    
    In response to Silver Maple

Quick points:
- Max's response to the defensive attention has been a bunch of impressive assists, especially to AJ
- AJ will make 3's half the time when he is allowed to set his feet at the top of the key and follow through completely. When he does, it forces the D out to him and opens up the lane.
- As was the case last year, there are few players in the league that can stop AJ from scoring one on one when he gets position down low. If he's doubled, Betley and Woods take over and Max owns the boards.
- I'm still not a fan of Wood, but I do like the role he played over the weekend, and he may be the only player on the team who has complete confidence at the FT line. But please, do not put him out there with JD.
- Still waiting for another Sam Jones wins it for us game. It will come.
- The great vibe this team has under pressure is the obvious benefit of solid upperclassman leadership. Great to see.
- Boy do I hope they can redshirt Williams and (maybe) Scott. We really do not need them now and it would effectively make this recruiting class so good.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-14-18 01:27 PM - Post#243535    
    In response to Mike Porter

AJ clearly had the green light from 3. He was aberaging under 2 attempts a game and had made 7 for the season before last night when he went 6-12 from 3.

This team isn’t the most talented team in the league but they may play better than everyone else.

Eddie and Jelani and Jarrod as full time players will make Penn dangerous.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
01-14-18 02:25 PM - Post#243543    
    In response to PennFan10

11-5, 3-0 Ivy. Sole possession of first place.

Feels good, doesn't it? I like it up here; it's been a while.

I've enjoyed watching Rothschild in the post. He's patient, has good vision and footwork, and is a deft passer. He also has the advantage of being able to score with either hand in close, which I consider to be a vastly underrated skill for a post player.

TheLine 
Professor

Columbia
01-14-18 02:34 PM - Post#243544    
    In response to Streamers

Someone knowledgeable about it may need to step in and correct me - hi there, AsiaSunset - but my understanding is that a player cannot appear in more than 30% of a team's games to redshirt. I don't know if that's all games or if postseason doesn't count.

Eddie has played in 9 games this year. Penn has 30 games, not including postseaon if I'm counting correctly. Exactly 30%.

I'd still like Eddie to play this year if he can. He provides depth that is really needed.

10Q 
Professor

01-14-18 02:45 PM - Post#243545    
    In response to TheLine

We have tons of depth. Come back healthy next year.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-14-18 02:49 PM - Post#243546    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Technically 12-5.

Granted the SOS is not great, but nonetheless it has been 15 years since Penn has had that kind of start.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-14-18 03:00 PM - Post#243548    
    In response to penn nation

If Penn plays a seemingly equivalent team, it feels like they have the guts and teamwork to win more than half of them. If we play a Pomeroy 250 team, I have confidence they will been. It's been 15 years since that seemed to be the case.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Columbia
01-14-18 07:54 PM - Post#243561    
    In response to Penndemonium

Finally got a chance to watch the replay after being out last night. All-too-typical incredibly sloppy Saturday Ivy game where many players on both teams had no legs and poor decision-making skills. Agree with previous statements that this is the sort of thing that will result in road losses because this team doesn’t have the talent to overcome so many turnovers and defensive breakdowns.

Biggest change in Columbia’s offense in the second half is that they ran many more high-screen sets for Smith which allowed him to get free of defenders and get in the lane or step back for a three - I don’t think they ran a single high screen for him the first half. There were also a couple of possessions late where Penn went zone in an attempt to force them to shoot from three. This made sense given the Lions’ poor perimeter shooting legs on the night, except the zone was so soft that Smith had huge gaps he could get into for scores.

Thought one of the key stretches late came with just under 5:00 left, with Penn up 4. That was when Brodeur missed a three, but Foreman hustled to chase down a 50/50 floor rebound in the corner, and a very flat-footed Columbia D subsequently allowed Betley to get in the lane for a layup. Then after forcing a CU miss at the other end, Betley hit the three in transition that pushed the lead back to 9 and gave them enough of a working margin to hold off the Lions’ final push.

Best thing about the 3-0 start is it means they’ve dramatically increased their margin of error in the attempt to become one of the final four, which is all that matters.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-14-18 08:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Columbia
01-14-18 09:35 PM - Post#243563    
    In response to TheLine

I know from the brace that it is his hand or wrist. But what exactly is Eddie Scott's injury? Any prognosis for expected return?

Page 4 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.173 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:09 PM