Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#20977)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
01-14-18 10:38 PM - Post#243567    
    In response to section110

He has a cast on his wrist, looks like a common fracture, cannot tell if it was displaced though.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
01-14-18 11:42 PM - Post#243573    
    In response to Streamers

Thanks.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-14-18 11:58 PM - Post#243574    
    In response to section110

I think it’s a ligament injury in the wrist. Doubt we will see him again this season

SomeGuy 
Professor

Re: Columbia
01-15-18 12:23 AM - Post#243575    
    In response to Chip Bayers

granted I was there and have not watched the replay, but it looked to me like they ran a bunch of high screens for Smith in the first half. We just cut him off and he gave up the ball. To my eye, that's why we kept giving up offensive boards in the first half -- our bigs were coming out to defend the screens, and that was leaving us in poor position to box out.

I think we helped less in the second half and that led to better defensive rebounding (and a lot more points for Smith).

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
01-15-18 08:59 AM - Post#243581    
    In response to SomeGuy

Well, if the key to beating Columbia is letting Smith score, then I say l "free Mike Smith!"

This also suggests to me that, at this point, Columbia does not have sufficient talent to beat the better teams in the conference. As has been observed elsewhere, Columbia fans are going to have to be a little bit patient.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-15-18 10:24 AM - Post#243593    
    In response to Silver Maple

Agreed about Columbia, with the caveat that if the league were to break like last year where 6-8 gets you in the tournament, they'd have a chance.

Also, while you can generally beat Columbia even with Smith going off, keep in mind that Penn probably loses that game from Saturday if it were played at Columbia. We will need to play much better to win there.

palestra38 
Professor

01-15-18 10:31 AM - Post#243594    
    In response to SomeGuy

If we hit our foul shots, it is not a contest no matter where the game is played. Remember, it was a leaden footed Saturday night game. The game at Columbia is a Friday night and I don't believe that Smith will necessarily be able to do what he did in the last 10 minutes. But we played pretty poorly and still had a lead of 13 before we started missing foul shots and Smith went off.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-15-18 10:37 AM - Post#243596    
    In response to palestra38

we've proven "if we hit our foul shots" is nearly the equivalent of "if AJ goes 6-12" every game.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-15-18 11:03 AM - Post#243600    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Mr James tweeted this over the weekend.

“And pretty much across any significant span of time recently, Penn has been playing like a No. 100-125 team. If Aiken returns for Harvard & Mason does for Yale (plus Brown at about No. 200 over the past month), there'll be a lot of teams playing high-level ball in Ivy play.”

Seems like a fair assessment. Lots of what ifs.

Mike, where has Harvard been playing recently? You said their D had been top 75 and their offense has been bottom 25. Is that 180 or so? How about Yale?

palestra38 
Professor

01-15-18 11:06 AM - Post#243601    
    In response to Jeff2sf

No, it's much less likely. AJ hasn't taken this number of 3 pointers in a game. We have missed our FTs pretty continuously.

But I remain hopeful that the guys whose form is terrible (Woods in particular) just work on something and remember that feel.

I think if AJ gets the shot from the top of the key that Columbia gave him, he will hit a good percentage

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-15-18 11:16 AM - Post#243604    
    In response to Jeff2sf

One thing I'm digging about this team is how we seem to find different ways to win. I complained a little about us letting Princeton take Betley away in the 2nd half, and I felt similarly about AJ in half 2 against Columbia. In both cases, we seemed to say ok we'll do something else. But we've reached the point where we have the options to do that. If not for Max's foul trouble, I think we would have killed them in the second half.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-15-18 11:31 AM - Post#243605    
    In response to SomeGuy

Ruefully, I made the same observation last week. For Tiger fans Bell's defensive work against Betley in the second half was as good as Myles Stephens' memorable Ivy season a year ago. SD was quite prepared for the adjustment that he knew was coming and used his other weapons brilliantly. Penn's second half scoring exceeded its 36 first half points. Penn hasn't had that deep an arsenal for many years.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
01-15-18 12:11 PM - Post#243606    
    In response to PennFan10

That may cost us some games. Ouch.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
01-15-18 12:28 PM - Post#243608    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Just my observations/opinions regarding Penn's 3-0 Ivy League start:

1) In past years, Penn would consistently blow big leads and lose down the stretch. This year Penn is holding off the runs, never allowing the opponent to get over the hump and tie it up or take the lead.

2) In past years, often times Penn looked like the lesser team. This year Penn looks like they are the better team on the floor.

3) SD seems to be doing a fantastic job... His in-game adjustments, his player substitutions, and ultimately winning games in a wide variety of ways. Against Princeton, all starters played a minimum of 32 minutes. Against Columbia, Columbia as a team finished with 3 assists/Darnell alone had 6.

4) This seems to be a closely knit team that knows and accepts there individual roles and enjoys playing together. Check out the interview with Ryan & AJ after the Columbia win where Ryan says about AJ "I love playing with this guy!" You gotta figure that Jackson and Sam and Matt and Jake and many others want more PT, but you cannot tell by watching them on the bench cheering their team mates on.

5) I know, I know... Twenty turnovers against Columbia is too many. Their poor foul shooting may cost them games (although it seems that Caleb has earned some trust from SD, so having both him and Ryan in late may prevent a loss or two). That being said, winning teams overcome adversity or poor officiating or injury.

6) Finally, Penn is undefeated on the season when Darnell attempts 10 or fewer field goals... Coincidence?

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-15-18 12:54 PM - Post#243609    
    In response to Cvonvorys

anybody catch the play in the 2nd half where AJ ran out ahead of the play and then faked Tape that the ball was coming? I guess he's just setting him up for a situation where the ball actually is coming. Was kind of funny.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-15-18 01:10 PM - Post#243610    
    In response to SomeGuy

I find it incredible that in the information age all that anyone on this board has to go on about Eddie is a poster saying there is a ligament injury and he might be done for the season... I know things aren't what they used to be in terms of caring, but you'd think that a kid who went 8-8 and singlehandedly won us a game with explosive plays we haven't seen in years would get more than a sentence on a message board when his season seemingly ends. How do we know nothing at all? We really could have used him this season.

As to the game, as I said the prior day, if AJ can hit that 3 it is a game changer. I don't know what the difference was because almost all of the prior misses were also wide open with his feet set, but he (we) badly needed that.

The sequence Chip mentioned was indeed the biggest of the game. There was also a possession with about 5 quick passes ending in a wide open 3 that was just beautiful to watch.

I guess refs are now able to use any video feed available? They must figure out how to get monitors to work on the public address announcers side of the court. That delay was inexcusable, they completely iced Max, and they didn't make the decision until they looked at a laptop on press row 5 minutes later. It was a clear 3 pointer, albeit a weak foul call in the first place. Kudos to Max for sticking both of the free throws with only a 2-point lead.

Another win where most on the court contributed and I look forward to Saturday.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-15-18 02:20 PM - Post#243621    
    In response to Quakers03

Both AJ and Darnell had absolutely huge offensive rebounds in the last 2 minutes, as well.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-15-18 02:33 PM - Post#243623    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
anybody catch the play in the 2nd half where AJ ran out ahead of the play and then faked Tape that the ball was coming? I guess he's just setting him up for a situation where the ball actually is coming. Was kind of funny.

I have seen him do that before. It is funny.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-15-18 03:26 PM - Post#243630    
    In response to Cvonvorys

• Cvonvorys Said:

6) Finally, Penn is undefeated on the season when Darnell attempts 10 or fewer field goals... Coincidence?

My take on that is when the shot clock is winding down, and Darnell is on the floor, the ball is often kicked out to him and he ends up having to put up a prayer. When the offense is clicking, he is not in that position much.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-15-18 03:31 PM - Post#243631    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:

As to the game, as I said the prior day, if AJ can hit that 3 it is a game changer. I don't know what the difference was because almost all of the prior misses were also wide open with his feet set, but he (we) badly needed that.

If you watch the video, I think you will find AJ either did not have his feet set or was not in his preferred spot atop the key on most of the missed 3's. I have noticed this tendency going back to last year, and my sense is that he hits the open 3 at 50% or more when he gets that perfect opportunity. The other factor is confidence. If he hits the first one, it helps the next ones. Now, if we can just sort out the FT shots...

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:54 PM