Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Holy Cross Game        (Topic#21013)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-20-18 11:05 PM - Post#244281    
    In response to Bison7882

Highlight video
https://youtu.be/F_f4L8fpzUs

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
01-20-18 11:05 PM - Post#244282    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Post-game press conference
https://youtu.be/DGm4GAYXbcU

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
Holy Cross Game
01-21-18 11:28 PM - Post#244350    
    In response to Bison7882

Cross Sports is pure comedy. They now started a thread on the general (not basketball specific) message board dedicated to the state of their athletics. There is actually a post lamenting that the school cares too much about academics, which is hurting their sports teams. Absurd that a proud college like Holy Cross would let something as unimportant as academics get in the way of sports.

On a related note, I see posts on Cross Sports saying that HC has high end facilities that should let them compete well in the PL or of course the Big East where some posters seem to think they deserve to be. I haven’t been to the Hart Center since 2007, but back then, I felt it was right there with Colgate as the worst arena in the league. Has anyone seen the new Hart Center renovations in person? Is it significantly improved like what Lafayette did? Is the Big East going to be begging to add Holy Cross now?

Edited by BUFan on 01-21-18 11:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Holy Cross Game
01-22-18 01:04 AM - Post#244353    
    In response to BUFan

The renovated Hart Center is somewhat nicer but not a lot. Added some chairbacks and aisles. Put on a nice coat of new paint and a new scoreboard. Improved the lobby area and the locker rooms. Inside it still has the look of a large high school gym. I would rank it ahead of Cotterell and Lehigh, not as nice as Lafayette. Along with the Hart renovation, there was also an upgrade to the hockey rink and a new practice gym.

Having said that, they do have a great new field house, the best in the PL by far, that accommodates a full-sized football (or soccer or lax) field for practice. Total cost of all of the renovations and new stuff was about $90 Million.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
01-22-18 11:48 AM - Post#244368    
    In response to Bison137

The Hart does look MUCH nicer on broadcasts, thanks to the purple bleachers, brighter paint job and new floor.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
01-22-18 01:31 PM - Post#244377    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
The Hart does look MUCH nicer on broadcasts, thanks to the purple bleachers, brighter paint job and new floor.

Yes, those completely empty sets of purple bleachers look much better than the old, mostly empty wooden ones.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
Re: Holy Cross Game
01-23-18 01:53 PM - Post#244458    
    In response to Bison137

137-agree that things are getting better in Worchester but HC still trying to catch up. Lived nearly for 17 years nearby, going to many games, and they still rely on being one of the better (few?) Catholic universities in the Northeast. Relative to basketball and sports facilities, still rate them in middle to bottom half of Patriot League and definitely in bottom half facilities wise for D1 schools. Suggest we don't say this too loud since I enjoy the humor of the fringe element (at least I think its the fringe) of their Crossports blog.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
01-23-18 02:44 PM - Post#244464    
    In response to HoleinOne

HoleinOne, I was just reading the HC board, and I think that they just don't get it. They need to invest even more money in their facilities, improve little-by-little each season, and consistently recruit better and better players. Also, they would need to become the PL's equivalent of Gonzaga before the Big East would even notice them.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-23-18 03:36 PM - Post#244469    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
HoleinOne, I was just reading the HC board, and I think that they just don't get it. They need to invest even more money in their facilities, improve little-by-little each season, and consistently recruit better and better players. Also, they would need to become the PL's equivalent of Gonzaga before the Big East would even notice them.

With the exception of their basketball gym, I think they have facilities that are above-average for the PL. They have spent $95 Million on new facilities and upgrades over the past two years. I'm not sure if any other PL school has spent that much over the past 15 years.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
01-23-18 06:15 PM - Post#244490    
    In response to Bison137

137, thanks for the info. Not really following any other PL sports, I had no idea. That being said, if basketball is their flagship sport, then, they need to open their check books and cut some checks.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Holy Cross Game
01-23-18 06:31 PM - Post#244491    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
137, thanks for the info. Not really following any other PL sports, I had no idea. That being said, if basketball is their flagship sport, then, they need to open their check books and cut some checks.

The $95 Million check is all they are likely to cut for a long time. They refurbished the Hart somewhat, but there was no room to expand it or make any significant improvements. Hockey rink against it on one side, sharing the same lobby. The field house, I think, up against it on the other side. And the soccer field and track directly behind it. They don't have the luxury of available space that Bucknell has had.

As I understand it, there were a couple of problems preventing them from a serious upgrade of the Hart. One is the lack of space on either side, as discussed above. Second, the roof is quite low, preventing them from adding a quality scoreboard above the court, as Lafayette did. Also Lafayette was able to add a lot of chairbacks, which reduces the seating capacity - but offset most of the loss by adding high bleachers in the open area at the end. HC apparently has no available space at the ends. Plus the low roof prevents them from going any higher with the seating. So if they had added a lot of chairbacks - which would have improved the quality significantly - they would have lost a large quantity of seating. As it is, the renovations cost them a few seats.

They did update the overall basketball facilities, however, by building a new practice court attached to the same complex and by re-doing their antiquated locker rooms.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:44 AM