Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: columbia-cornell #2        (Topic#21035)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-29-18 01:58 PM - Post#245082    
    In response to Filippo2014

Meisner took 8 shots in 37 minutes. He's tied for second of Lions' leading scorers.
west coast fan

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-29-18 05:21 PM - Post#245106    
    In response to Filippo2014

Hanson does have 3-point shooting capability, but is somewhat inconsistent when shooting from the outside. On the other hand, he has already proven himself to be a strong rebounder and scorer on the offensive boards. He seems to me to be a smaller verision of Brandon Sherrod, Yale's very talented power forward of a few years ago. Sherrod flourished as a power forward who scored at will by hanging around the basket. James Jones built his offense around Javier Duren attacking the basket and either shooting the ball or passing off to Sherrod for easy layups. I wonder if Engles has considered trying that approach with Hanson.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-29-18 05:36 PM - Post#245108    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Ya, but can Hanson sing?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-29-18 05:56 PM - Post#245109    
    In response to Old Bear

Good comparison to Sherrod. Both 6’6” but very strong. Not sure if Hansonnis also a baritone.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-29-18 06:51 PM - Post#245111    
    In response to Chet Forte

And neither do I, but maybe someone could show Hanson some film of Sherrod when he played at Yale so that Hanson could emulate what Sherrod did so successfully at Yale before his world tour.

Incidentally, I just noticed that Gabe Stefanini has just been named as the Ivy League Rookie of the Week. A well deserved honor. Yes, I am aware that some Columbia Fans believe that Coach Engles is certain to use the same starting line-up for the remainder of the season. However, my instincts tell me that he WILL make a change Friday night and start Gabe in order to fire up the team.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-29-18 07:32 PM - Post#245113    

For Hanson to be compared to Sherrod is a great thing for Columbia.

On the other hand, the apparent legend of Sherrod's offensive prowess seems exaggerated. As a junior, Sherrod brought his scoring average up to 6.8ppg (from 5.8 and 4.0). Not really the focus of Duren's passing or the Yale offense. When he returned after his year off, Mason and Sears were the scorers, with Sherrod scoring a healthy 12.8ppg. Never saw him score "at will." Instead, he was more of an option when defenses shifted onto Mason and Sears and an offensive rebounder.

Let Hanson aspire to that, as even Sherrod never scored at Will as Gladsen didn't play for Princeton then.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-29-18 11:17 PM - Post#245124    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

While I doubt it will happen, we should start Smith, Meisner,Tape, Stefanini and Hansen. Rotation should be Faulds for Tape, Castlin for Hansen, Adlesh for Stefanini. Hunter should also get some minutes. Hickman really has earned a permanent seat on the bench. I had great hope for Bibbs but he seems to have disappeared; silky smooth player whomshould,be doing better.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-30-18 01:19 AM - Post#245126    

Agreed!!!!!!!

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-30-18 01:45 AM - Post#245127    

Obviously,"SMTSH" adds size, height, strength, skill and moxie to the Columbia starting line-up in both the frontcourt and backcourt. A couple of weeks ago the idea was to play Tape, Faulds and Meisner together with Smith and Adlesh. For whatever reason, Engles hasn't bought into that line-up either, staying instead with Hickman and Adlesh. Maybe he will feel differently about "SMTSH." It will be very interesting to see what line-up takes the floor Friday night.

Sagatius 
Freshman

Reg: 11-17-15
01-30-18 08:24 AM - Post#245130    

It is much more important who finishes than who starts and Columbia’s defensive deficiencies are certainly not the result of not enough height upfront.

Similarly, the fact that Columbia is able to get off to a double-digit lead in many of their games, only to lose it later and also lose the game, is not a result of a faulty starting lineup or lack of height upfront.

During the second Cornell game, Stefanini and Hanson played a lot during crunch time, and Hickman did not.

We need to find a way to sustain leads and finish games. We need to find a way to shut down the other team’s top scorers in crunch time.

One or two clutch shots at the end of games, or one or two stops in the last few minutes, would have made our overall record much different. Hopefully, as a team, we will yet figure it out.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-30-18 11:29 AM - Post#245143    
    In response to Sagatius

I wonder if some of our recent struggles can be attributed to what also seems like a fall off in Smith’s play. His shooting has been way off and his assist total seems stuck at around 5 per game. Is he being coached to shoot less? Earlier in the year there were rumblings that he was shooting too much. Now it looks as if his shot has temporarily abandoned him.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-30-18 11:59 AM - Post#245146    

Sagatius is making some good points, but if he doesn't feel that a line-up change is warranted to improve the team's performance, what is he suggesting? I don't believe that Columbia's record can be attributable merely to missing shots at the end of games. In my opinion, it is more likely that the losses are due to not having the right players on the floor.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-30-18 04:30 PM - Post#245168    

Perhaps, but it does seem to me that the players running out to leads are often the starters, and they then are the guys you want to replace (at least some of them). And as Columbia gets into its depth and some of the guys you want to play more, the leads get lost.

To throw a little more complication into things (and undermine the argument I just made), the only Lions with a positive boxscore plus minus right now are Meisner, Hunter, Faulds , and Adlesh. So maybe those 4 and Smith are the most logical starting lineup.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-31-18 01:20 AM - Post#245205    
    In response to SomeGuy

We have lost so many early game leads that I frankly cannot remember who was on the court when we took the lead and who was on the court when we lost the lead. However, I doubt that Stefanini and Hanson were the culprits, and those are the two guys I would like to see in the starting line-up Friday night. It just seems to me that Columbia's best starting line-up now would be Smith, Meisner, Tape, Stefanini and Hansen.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-31-18 07:46 AM - Post#245207    

Why don’t you think they are the culprits? Columbia has 5 players with ORATs below 100 — two of them are Stefanini and Hanson. So playing them together as starters makes for one of your least efficient possible offensive combinations. That would be fine if it gave you more on defense and they were paired with 3 very efficient guys. But the other numbers suggest they aren’t plus defenders. And again, negative things are happening for the team overall when they are on the floor. Might not be their fault, of course.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-31-18 08:50 AM - Post#245209    
    In response to SomeGuy

To put a little more meat on this, the issue with Stefanini for now is that he has the highest usage rate on the team after Smith, yet is one of the guys playing at below average efficiency. He scores at a higher rate than other options mainly because he uses more possessions. That can create the impression he is doing more than he is.

I don’t mean that to be overly critical— he’s obviously an aggressive player on both sides of the ball who will figure out how to maximize his impact. But if Columbia wants to win right now (and I don’t see any reason why the Ivy tournament would Be unattainable), I think you want him to continue developing in a similar role to his current one.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
01-31-18 11:22 AM - Post#245226    
    In response to SomeGuy

season long stats for a freshman are silly because they generally start out bad and improve as the year progresses. We are seeing some progress in Stefanini, so his below average efficiency is based on outdated stats.

We also need to be careful not to ready too much into a recent lucky game, but can't simply look at efficiency stats for the season.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
01-31-18 03:04 PM - Post#245250    
    In response to Columbia Alum

True. But while Stefanini did have a spectacular game at Cornell (ORAT 154), his ORAT in the three prior games was 30 at Princeton (ugh!), 93 at Penn, and 94 at home against Cornell. With an overall ORAT of 93, it isn't yet clear whether it was just Cornell's poor defense, or whether he has suddenly clicked into what is required for winning b'ball at the D1 level.

By contrast, Adlesh's ORAT for the season is 113. Although he did have a lousy game at Cornell while Stefanini won the ROW award, I am not yet in favor of starting Stefanini over Adlesh. Yes, Stefanini should get more minutes, but no, I wouldn't bench Adlesh--one of the top 3 pt shooters in the IL--on the basis of one poor game.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-31-18 03:12 PM - Post#245251    
    In response to cc66

Starting lineup for the weekend has been posted. No changes. What a surprise.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

01-31-18 05:52 PM - Post#245273    

This is a crucial weekend for the Columbia Men's Basketball Team which undoubtedly needs to win at least one of its two games against Harvard and Dartmouth to remain in contention for the post-season Ivy League Tournament. If the Lions lose both games their record would be 1-5 and they would have to go at least 5-3 to remain in the race for the fourth place in the Tournament. More than that, the time for making excuses has passed. Either we start playing consistent winning basketball, or admit that something has gone wrong with the team's pre-season plan and figure out what happened and why, Regardless who starts this weekend, all of the Columbia players need to step up this weekend and play winning basketball.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.461 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:28 PM