Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: So far        (Topic#21058)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-30-18 02:29 PM - Post#245151    

Feels like in the league season Brown has continued to show the same strengths and weaknesses overall. So playing true to form this far.

Still getting to the line, still hitting from the line, still forcing turnovers, still forcing tempo and still defending the three pretty well. Pretty much everything you’d expect from a guard-focused team.

On the other side, still getting beat up inside, still giving up a high percentage of 2s (along the lines of a team whose strength isn’t inside), and not real efficient on either end.

The only thing they haven’t done as well in the league season has been to corral more defensive rebounds.

What’s been most pronounced in the wins vs. losses has been the inside play. In their two wins they got 45 and 30 pct of their scoring from their bigs (where I include Howard, Choh, DeWolf and I’ll even include Massey in that because they have been putting him exclusively at the 4). In the two losses those numbers have been 22 pct and 13 pct.

Even in the Dartmouth win, the Big Green’s comeback was led by points inside.

So I’m not a doctor or anything, and there’s noise in this data of course, but the level of big man productivity matters. We still need more of a fix for it.

That aside, you look at what they’re capable of individually, and you love it. For a young player, DeWolf is such an effective banger inside - and by the way he catches passes and finishes nicely. Choh is very active, and his ability to get to the rim with energy is strong. Howard has probably underperformed vs. what we expected, but you still know how smooth and crafty he is on the blocks and how he puts the ball in despite giving away several inches. And even Massey, all 6’4 of him, is the craftiest and savviest is the bunch, and gives a misdirection spark off the bench by being hard to guard. But as a group, it hasn’t been consistent enough. And I can’t help but wonder if Fuller, who is probably our most legitimate back-to-the-basket scorer, would make a difference or not. I don’t know.

I think given the roster Brown plays the right strategy. But they need a little more inside if they want to make the Ivy tournament.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

PVD.35 
Freshman

Reg: 01-04-18
Re: So far
01-31-18 08:51 AM - Post#245210    
    In response to Bruno

Agree with your perspective and post. The interior defense has been a real struggle this year - particularly since league play began. If Lewis and Harvard's other big post hadn't gotten into early foul trouble I don't think Brown would have been able to come back. I think that the small lineup helped Brown decrease the first deficit by the end of the first half but Harvard's post play was far superior. Lewis was a man among boys. Similar situation with Dartmouth one night earlier. The small lineup with Cho at the 4 can cause matchup problems for opponent's defensively but is a tough lineup to play catch up if we cannot make interior stops. Not sure Fuller is the overall answer but would like to see if he can help.
I think Dewolf is a nice surprise and I think with some more confidence he will become more comfortable finishing in the low post - would love to see a post player who can hit the high post jumper against a zone.

Why not try Cambridge at the foul line/High Post vs Zone? Cambridge at 4 - he can attack from the high post or hit that shot consistently. Collapse the zone from inside.

Sorry to jump from thought to though... Am enjoying watching this team this year.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.216 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:12 PM