Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Army Game        (Topic#21060)
res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
Army Game
02-02-18 10:30 AM - Post#245501    
    In response to atlantabison

• atlantabison Said:
In order to be your best you have to be able to take constructive criticism.

Yes, indeed one does. But I have gone back and read this entire thread and I did not see one criticism that I could remotely define as "constructive", if by constructive you mean offering helpful and specific suggestions for improvement.

What I see is venting, which is common to all sports message boards, though historically this board has exhibited fewer instances than the typical board. And venting is unavoidable up to a point, that's innate to fandom. But let's not confuse that with offering helpful advice. To think that anything any of us here writes will have a positive impact on how the team performs in future games is sheer hubris.

Edited by res on 02-02-18 10:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-02-18 10:30 AM - Post#245502    
    In response to crd012

Replying to atlantabisons remark that we did not say anything the coaches did not already say...Avi Toomer said it all on the postgame show.. team took them lightly, and Army wanted it more. Also Coach Harrison said every good team has a couple of games like this. Coming off big win, at home, back in class etc, etc. So bring on the Leopards.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
02-02-18 11:59 AM - Post#245532    
    In response to bison63

It's fair game to say an effort was disappointing, or the team's sluggish starts to some games is frustrating. But, to use words like "unacceptable" (which was an earlier thread) or "pathetic" suggests we are owed something more. And, comments that infer we as fans care more than the players or that there are certain evenings where the players don't seem to care are also ridiculous. Yes, they are young adults and should be able to accept criticisms, but there are more befitting ways to criticize these particular young men than some of the rants on here, IMO. I'm just a fan, and some of the threads (St. Joe's game comes to mind) kept me away from the board for a week. I guess I'm oversensitive.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
Re: Army Game
02-02-18 02:38 PM - Post#245594    
    In response to res

• res Said:
  • atlantabison Said:
In order to be your best you have to be able to take constructive criticism.

Yes, indeed one does. But I have gone back and read this entire thread and I did not see one criticism that I could remotely define as "constructive", if by constructive you mean offering helpful and specific suggestions for improvement.

What I see is venting, which is common to all sports message boards, though historically this board has exhibited fewer instances than the typical board. And venting is unavoidable up to a point, that's innate to fandom. But let's not confuse that with offering helpful advice. To think that anything any of us here writes will have a positive impact on how the team performs in future games is sheer hubris.

Well said, I was not intending to excuse the venting. But most of the remarks are along the lines of statements like saying: this team needs to play with more consistent energy, to make up for poor shooting nights with increased effort on the defensive end of the floor, or the team having a zone defense it could switch to against certain match-ups when the man-to-man was not working. Those are the kind of critical comments I tend to hear on this board. There is a pretty limited amount of just ranting, especially if you compare to the message boards for almost any other sports teams. For the most part this is a very tame board, without a lot of trolls, that is filled with fans who are passionate about our basketball team.

Also, I have heard Dave Paulsen in interviews talk about our kids as kids who don't mind when we "coach them" and always took this as a sign he felt we had fairly thick skinned players to whom he could tell it like it is with. Not taking this as licence to be cruel or to direct personal attacks, but bluntness about the level of basketball is in my mind fair game.

Ray Bucknell!

Edited by atlantabison on 02-02-18 02:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-02-18 02:47 PM - Post#245597    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
I’m out

Please don't go on my account, you add a lot of good to the discourse and I love your point of view and perspective on this team.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: Army Game
02-02-18 03:09 PM - Post#245602    
    In response to atlantabison

• atlantabison Said:
There is a pretty limited amount of just ranting, especially if you compare to the message boards for almost any other sports teams. For the most part this is a very tame board, without a lot of trolls, that is filled with fans who are passionate about our basketball team.

Agree. You will find a lot more critical remarks about players on other PL boards than you will see here. And course there are far more criticisms of players when you go to A-10 boards or power-conference boards.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Army Game
02-02-18 03:43 PM - Post#245609    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Also Coach Harrison said every good team has a couple of games like this. Coming off big win, at home, back in class etc, etc.

Harrison was really enjoyable to listen to. When Doug Birdsong asked about the tendency for teams to get a little complacent after a big victory like Sunday's win at Boston University, Harrison said, "It's like the old coaching expression: Proud peacock today, feather duster tomorrow."

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-02-18 03:48 PM - Post#245610    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
17-6 and Davis finally calls a TO.

It strikes me that Davis being slower than other coaches to call timeouts is part of a philosophy/approach meant to cultivate the team's resilience and ability to keep grinding through difficult situations on their own. And that's ok with me.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-02-18 03:56 PM - Post#245612    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
I think that the Head Coach needs to be a little more emotional if he wants his players to come out on fire in the first half of all games.

He has a sparkling 200-70 (.741) record as a collegiate head coach while maintaining a calm demeanor, so I'd prefer to just let Coach Davis be Coach Davis.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-02-18 04:21 PM - Post#245617    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Post-game press conference
https://youtu.be/dqrbgH462lU

Highlights
https://youtu.be/AXvhNxahAVU

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
02-02-18 04:47 PM - Post#245621    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • HuskyColonial Said:
17-6 and Davis finally calls a TO.

It strikes me that Davis being slower than other coaches to call timeouts is part of a philosophy/approach meant to cultivate the team's resilience and ability to keep grinding through difficult situations on their own. And that's ok with me.

I think his philosophy is to let his players play. He prepares them and will certainly call plays and make adjustments, but he expects the team to take responsibility for their performance. Because he never panics or get's down on them, they never panic or get down on themselves.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.254 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:49 PM