Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 8 « First<5678
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#21087)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-04-18 12:30 AM - Post#245997    
    In response to SomeGuy

I really think Oni is not at 100%. He did not look normal to me.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
02-04-18 01:15 AM - Post#245998    
    In response to PennFan10

A couple thoughts having watched the game from section 214.

1) If you were told in advance that Penn starters would shoot 1-13 from 3 and AJ would score 2 points, is there anyone who would've thought Penn would win? Good teams find ways to win.

2) There were probably a half dozen shots from Penn that were 3/4s of the way down, but spun out. A little better luck and Penn wins by 20.

3) I never was worried that Penn would lose. They looked to me like they were the better team.

4) This is the first year in many that I have confidence in the team coming down the stretch. In so many seasons in the past, we could not hold onto leads and lose in the closing minute(s). Yale, like other teams this year, cut into Penn leads, but could never get over the hump.

5) Those 2 Silpe 3s were awesome. I know many of us had such high expectations for him. Great for the kid to deliver in the clutch.

6) I had the pleasure of meeting a few of you at halftime. It's good to now be able to put a face with a name.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
02-04-18 02:03 AM - Post#246000    
    In response to Cvonvorys

Another good win even when the offense struggled shooting from distance but very good D made the difference.

Awesome to be 5-0 and a top the board, but considering every home game was a battle, we have a real tough road ahead of us for this next stretch. Let’s hope we can get some more wins in that column!

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
02-04-18 08:50 AM - Post#246004    
    In response to Mike Porter

AJ has to get it together.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-04-18 09:43 AM - Post#246007    
    In response to Charlie Fog

AJ played very good defense last night and rebounded well. He wasn't trying to force things on offense. The team won. It wasn't his most brilliant game, but he has it together.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-04-18 09:51 AM - Post#246010    
    In response to Silver Maple

Yes. It's a team approach. AJ knows when not to force himself into aggressive moves. This is a well coached team.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-04-18 10:04 AM - Post#246011    
    In response to 10Q

It’s actually great to see this team play as each starter as well as a couple bench players can be the star on any given night. We don’t need AJ or Ryan to go off every night to have a chance. Having Ryan and AJ score a total of 14 and still win is big. Antonio, Caleb, Max and Darnell all have had games/stretches of games where they had huge impacts.

AJ will be fine and will have some great games ahead.

Great to see a solid weekend of FT shooting. 73% as a team on the weekend.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-04-18 10:44 AM - Post#246018    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I would really like to see some more from Jarrod Simmons. He has more ability than what we are seeing. I think this is all his mentality. He is adjusting to the college game. He comes into games with energy and something bad happens and his body language is terrible. He has to have more confidence in himself and develop a short memory. He scored on a great move early and was called for traveling. He slumped his shoulders and barely jogged back on D. Then 2 quick fouls. He has to trust he is going to play and when he gets in he just has to play hard and not focus on the results. He appears to be over thinking things. I think we need Jarrod to be a 15-20min a game guy at least down the stretch. That's really on him as coach seems to want to play him.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-04-18 11:28 AM - Post#246024    
    In response to Charlie Fog

I thought his defense at the start of the 2nd half set the tone (we would not give up that lead) and arguably won the game for us. He didn’t do anything on offense, and he struggled with Atkinson late, but he was a big part of the win.

10Q 
Professor

02-04-18 11:59 AM - Post#246029    
    In response to SomeGuy

That Atkinson is really good. A 6 10 freshman who can shoot and move is an amazing get for Yale.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-04-18 12:03 PM - Post#246030    
    In response to 10Q

For sure. Can you imagine a lineup with he and Bruner? Yikes.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-04-18 12:04 PM - Post#246031    
    In response to PennFan10

There is some really great talent in this league. The current sophomore class added to this freshman class in the Ivy's and I agree with Mr James that we are headed up in a hurry. #toptenIvy #twobidfuture

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-04-18 12:11 PM - Post#246032    
    In response to SomeGuy

Hmmm; a few observations on the back of this thread: As to Simmons, SD wants minutes from him in part because Penn creates matchup problems for just about every team in the League. Simmons adds to that bigly. He also makes it easier to give Max and AJ a blow when they need it. As mentioned above, he overreacts to mistakes and he's a foul machine. Keep in mind though, a number of our best players over the years were like this as frosh (U comes to mind.) One thing I notice though, is that SD seems to prefer using him as a 5 than a 4. Maybe this is due to defensive matchups and maybe it tells us something about his future role.

Otherwise, this was one of those rare games that went down exactly as we suspected it would (unlike the PU-Brown game that many folks were playing more attention to.) Both teams came out pretty sharp, but fatigue set in quickly and things got messy quickly. Thankfully, the official crew ate their whistles (so many walks uncalled) or this could have been painful to watch. This Penn team just took care of business and their mental toughness (plus playing at home) won the evening in the end. Those Silpe 3's really were the turning point though.

Random stuff - word is that the rotation is now quite set (barring injuries) and, perhaps aside from situational minutes for Goodman, what we see is what we get the rest of the year.

Great to see Vince Curran and Steve D. holding court at Wahoos after the game. Coming off the well-done halftime ceremonies honoring the '78 team (almost all of them were present, including Matt White's daughter) and the new atrium/exhibit between the Palestra & Hutch (can't wait to check that out), there is a very positive vibe around the program right now. So nice after the lost decade.

Oh, and congrats to P38 & Stan Lane as they too got a shout out at the half as XPN voices for that 78 team. Gave me a warm feeling back to the days when XPN was about the students and we got to call the games ourselves.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-04-18 12:22 PM - Post#246034    
    In response to Streamers

I am not concerned about going on the road, this team played its first 8 plus on the road and have been pretty consistent all season. They will lose a few on the road yet if you play defense and rebound, you will have a chance every night.

I agree Jarrod has frehsmanitis. I just want him to get over it more quickly. We will be better if he is on the floor more.

As an aside, no one on here would have predicted this team's record where it is with no real contribution from the freshmen. If/when we get these freshmen playing like this team, we will take the next step.

palestra38 
Professor

02-04-18 12:30 PM - Post#246037    
    In response to PennFan10

Echem....I said that they would win 20, at least 9 in the league (I underestimated there, although this is pre-road trip) and based that on Antonio and Foreman and Betley providing the kind of solid defense on the perimeter that they had. I never look at freshmen because none of us knows how ready they are. But the obvious replacement for Howard was Antonio, because he is a better defender against tough guards and we had replacements at the 4 (although no one knew how well Max would play). But there is a notable silence on the Antonio doubters, which is warranted at this point---he plays GREAT defense, hits big shots (although not a great outside shooter), is money taking it to the basket and simply makes no mistakes with the ball. He is the biggest difference so far this year in the League.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-04-18 03:24 PM - Post#246073    
    In response to palestra38

Man is it fun to go 2-0 on the Brown-Yale home weekend again. I thought Silpe's threes were huge for so many reasons, not the least of which was them putting the game officially out of reach. Agreed with the comments about the frosh we've been seeing. I knew from Atkinson's first free throw that we were looking at someone who can play, and I was very impressed. He made frosh mistakes on d, but he had his way on offense and it was a bit surprising to see.

I was all excited to start beating my chest about Antonio and P38 beat me to it. This weekend officially ended any debate. He just brings a different skillset that is a true difference maker.

AJ does have those silent stretches but his rebounding has taken off and if the team is better because usage levels between he and Max have evened out, then he'll figure out the scoring.

Congrats to P38 on the cool shout out and the Go Stan Greene chant was loud and clear from you guys. That was a special halftime and I'm sure you all enjoyed every second of it. A Kevin McDonald fun fact, he wanted Princeton more until he spent a beautiful Spring Fling weekend at Penn.

I very much enjoyed watching Cambridge hit that shot from my Palestra seat (on espn3) and was hoping to be able to get up there on Tuesday...Going to be tough with that timing.

I echo everyone's fear of Brown but I guess all we can do is worry about ourselves. A regular season title would still mean something, and I want it.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
02-04-18 04:37 PM - Post#246090    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
I would really like to see some more from Jarrod Simmons. He has more ability than what we are seeing. I think this is all his mentality. He is adjusting to the college game. He comes into games with energy and something bad happens and his body language is terrible. He has to have more confidence in himself and develop a short memory. He scored on a great move early and was called for traveling. He slumped his shoulders and barely jogged back on D. Then 2 quick fouls. He has to trust he is going to play and when he gets in he just has to play hard and not focus on the results. He appears to be over thinking things. I think we need Jarrod to be a 15-20min a game guy at least down the stretch. That's really on him as coach seems to want to play him.

Completely agree with you here and we have to get Simmons on the floor at least 10-12 mins per game, especially on the road back to backs, to give AJ and Max a break. Seems Donahue wants that too but Simmons has to do his part and reduce fouls.

My observation is also that it seems mental. He has all the tools, nice looking shot, athleticism, good court awareness, etc. Even his stats are promising in limited sample, especially the fact that he isn’t a turnover machine. Let’s hope he can gain some confidence in the coming weeks.

10Q 
Professor

02-04-18 04:46 PM - Post#246092    
    In response to Quakers03

I got to yell Go Stan Green with the guys. That was fun even if I never got to see him play.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-04-18 05:28 PM - Post#246098    
    In response to 10Q

I was at the game with my daughter. Sounds like I was sitting not too far from Colin.

While AJ's offense was MIA - lots of misses and a few fumbles of good passes by Darnell and Antonio - he was a force on D snuffing out Yale's inside game. The D didn't function so well with AJ on the bench.

I find myself in the habit of counting Darnell's shots. I was getting worried early because he was ahead of schedule. Otherwise, a very Darnell-like performance.

Ryan didn't seem to have his legs at all. The offense seemed stagnant for stretches because he wasn't moving at his usual speed. The Brown game must've taken a lot out of him.

Max had a good game - some nifty moves around the hoop, only 2 TOs and 1 foul. Decent on D but has problems when AJ isn't there with him.

Another game where Caleb saved the offense. I'm happy Donahue has become comfortable giving him major minutes.

Would like to see more of Jake. Those 2 3's he hit were critical.

Antonio was player of the game. Some really big plays on offense, played shutdown D.

Oni disappeared from the game after Woods started covering him. Woods seemed to be picking up any guard who was hot after that. There was one sequence where Phils tried multiple moves - a drive to the left, a stutter step, even a double crossover - and Woods picked them all up. Phils eventually gave up.

Woods also had a few nice baskets going to the hoop in traffic, picking up a lot of contact on the way - sometimes called, sometimes not.

And I'm willing to forgive the 3-point shooting spree - they weren't awful shots, a couple when halfway down before coming back out. Still, would prefer he leave the outside shooting early in the clock to others.

Plus he's my daughter's favorite player, so there's that.

10Q 
Professor

02-04-18 05:36 PM - Post#246099    
    In response to TheLine

All I can say is...
BEAT PRINCETON!!!

Page 5 of 8 « First<5678
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:26 PM