Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Bruno        (Topic#21090)
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-03-18 11:53 PM - Post#245995    
    In response to SRP

Just got back to Baltimore....

I haven't seen a game like that at Jadwin since we beat UNC 89-73 back in 1971 (before the three ball).

JUST GET A STOP. Forget "Hard Cuts" and "Make Shots".

Had to laugh though...first announcement "This game brought to you by Acorn Glen Assisted Living". Guess the Penn guys are correct about the age of the fans.

Cambridge is an unreal shooter, Anderson is brilliant around the hoop, and Hunsaker is a fine shooter as well. Neither team excelled on defense, but we seemed to struggle more than they to find a shot.

Suddenly it seems making the tournament could be a struggle.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-04-18 10:10 AM - Post#246012    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Very frustrating loss. The death of Pete Carril basketball may now be complete. The offense consists almost entirely of (skilled) one-on-one moves and the defense was non existent last night (except for a stretch at the start of the 2nd half when Cambridge was stopped cold). Brown scored at will with penetration and from beyond the arc (and just killed us at the line).

The "cuts" our guys make are half-hearted at best for long stretches so when the shots stopped going down, we stop scoring. We have outstanding offensive players but when the chips were down last night, they could not run plays, bogged down and lost the lead.

When we tried to run the clock down at the end of the game, it was one guy standing at the top until a desperate last second move to the basket without any effort to get a play off. The 6 point lead with just a few minutes to play just evaporated. That rarely happened to us in the past.

I hate it when Penn fans complain about officiating but I also need to add that I thought the refs were very uneven, calling EVERY touch on Princeton and "letting them play" on the Princeton end. There was a play late when Much was about to pull down an unbelievable rebound and a Brown player climbed all over his back with no call, a time when Bell got blasted while dribbling and no call, etc.

When we got to the line, we were miserable: Bell and Canady both missing front ends late in the game; Stevens missing multiple times.

Finally, Princeton has been very poor lately at end-of-half and end-of-game situations. We've had the ball with 5, 7, 15 seconds left over and over and are not getting anything. Why LeBlanc thought heaving the ball the length of the court with 4+ seconds left at the end of the game was a good idea I'll never know. Was that Mitch's first option? Hitting that play is like trying to execute an onsides kick--the odds against it working are just so damn high.

I'll probably drag myself back to Jadwin Tuesday night in hopes that some things will change but that was a brutal loss.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-04-18 10:21 AM - Post#246014    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:

Why LeBlanc thought heaving the ball the length of the court with 4+ seconds left at the end of the game was a good idea I'll never know. Was that Mitch's first option? Hitting that play is like trying to execute an onsides kick--the odds against it working are just so damn high.

I'll probably drag myself back to Jadwin Tuesday night in hopes that some things will change but that was a brutal loss.

Agree with the entire post.

Was Stephens not tripped on the heave-ho?

Does that play not remind you of the alley-oop play earlier in the year?

If we lose to Penn, we are then battling Brown and Columbia for the 4th spot in the tourney.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Bruno
02-04-18 10:33 AM - Post#246016    

I agree that it looked like Stephens was bumped on that full court heave but I wouldn’t expect to get that call. It reminded me of the awful play at the end of the first half against Yale the night before. A long, high inbounds throw across court to the corner with 7 seconds to go that was picked off by Yale, who then ran down the court and hit a big shot (a 3?) to take the lead into halftime. That one may have been from LeBlanc too. We’ve gotta get better in those situations. (And yes that alley-oop was another head shaker).

Edited by TigerFan on 02-04-18 10:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-04-18 10:55 AM - Post#246022    
    In response to TigerFan

Brown shot 62% from the arc (11-22). That's tough to overcome. P shot 50%, took 12 more shots and had 16 assists to 8 turnovers. It's not like they gave it away. Brown made shots

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-04-18 12:39 PM - Post#246040    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
...Brown made shots

too many of which were uncontested. Cambridge’s wild run to grab the loose ball, turn and fire over two defenders to essentially win the game was insane though.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-04-18 01:06 PM - Post#246049    
    In response to TigerFan

Both teams made some ridiculous shots. Brown down the stretch played pretty good D and Cannady in particular made baskets that had a high degree of difficulty.

• TigerFan Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:
...Brown made shots

too many of which were uncontested. Cambridge’s wild run to grab the loose ball, turn and fire over two defenders to essentially win the game was insane though.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-04-18 01:07 PM - Post#246050    
    In response to TigerFan

For most of the second half--until crunch time--Princeton was able to drive down the lane untouched. The uncontested aspect went both ways.

• TigerFan Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:
...Brown made shots

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-04-18 02:47 PM - Post#246062    
    In response to TigerFan

Exciting but disappointing weekend. All eight games this weekend were by and large very competitive and challenging games for the winners. Fine margin as to winning vs. losing but that is what makes the IL regular season special.

Penn is certainly in the driver's seat especially if they win Tuesday night and they present match up problems for the Tigers. I hope that Mitch uses a different strategy vs. double teaming Rothschild when he has the ball as he passed out very quickly unlike last year giving Penn some easy baskets. Tigers will definitely be in an all about energy frenzy on Tuesday night as there will be no lack of focus. Can they beat the Quakers, we will see.

Based on the games played to date this year, anything might and can happen at our beloved IL Tournament. Great and fair way to send the NCAA representative vs. a brutally fought 14 game season.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-04-18 04:34 PM - Post#246088    
    In response to bradley

In principle I agree with complaints about the matchup-oriented offense and all the one-on-one play, but last night it was working. PU was practically scoring at will, and I don't think it is fair to say that the way they scored somehow compromised the defense. (The out-of-bounds and end-of-period offense were shaky however.) If I thought they could score like that every game, I'd take it despite my stylistic preferences. The problem I have with it is that you're unlikely to consistently make that many difficult shots, or to get that many good shots for that matter, against better D or on the road.

The team has had a persistent problem with handling dribble penetration and post-ups. Trying to deny treys is part of it, but that didn't happen either last night. It still looks to me like a mix of defenses emphasizing ball pressure, deflections, and block attempts would work better than the current approach of letting opponents run their offenses. We saw a few half-hearted attempts at a matchup zone and the 1-3-1 against Brown, but it seemed more like a reaction to foul trouble than an attempt to make the Bears uncomfortable.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-04-18 04:54 PM - Post#246095    
    In response to SRP

I was not a fan of a fast tempo game but after watching the replay, I can understand why Mitch took advantage of Brown's poor defense and score at a very high percentage by attacking and being aggressive. My pre-game concern with a fast pace is that is Brown's style of play by going up and down the court. Even with Princeton's poor defense, Brown shot incredibly and still, the Tigers have a 4pt lead with 30 seconds to go. The additional danger of fast paced games is foul trouble and the Tigers cannot afford to lose minutes from the big 3.

Mitch needs to get the boys back to contesting every single shot like they did when they got on a run. Arirguzoh on the floor for a lot more minutes needs to be done in my judgement as he attempts to contest every shot plus he can man up down deep better than Much. Keep Much as PF.

Tigers need to have a Monmouth moment like the last two years. I suspect that they will be playing defense very hard on Tuesday. The irony where they may miss Cook, Weisz and Miller is on defense. Cook gave them three elite defenders on the floor with Stephens and Bell -- Weisz played tough interior D last year. Not the same team this year but ....

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-04-18 05:56 PM - Post#246104    
    In response to bradley

Miller was at the game....musta killed him to watch.

Why did Brennan not play? I thought he would have been useful to stretch the "defense" (I use the term loosely).

Also, it seemed inevitable that we would end up in double bonus, so why not run out some subs to play some even more physical defense and spare Bell and Stephens some fouls.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-04-18 06:01 PM - Post#246106    

Announcers said Brennan wasn't on the bench.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-04-18 06:18 PM - Post#246107    
    In response to SRP

Ah...I guess I should have noticed.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-04-18 07:01 PM - Post#246110    

What would Pete Carril say about a Princeton team that scores 100 points (and loses)? Very strange.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-04-18 07:48 PM - Post#246114    
    In response to 10Q

I kept wondering the same thing....

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-04-18 09:15 PM - Post#246130    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
The death of Pete Carril basketball may now be complete.

Hallelujah! Woo-hoo! Of all the great things that happened this weekend, this might be the best.

Local Observer 
Junior
Local Observer
Reg: 03-30-14
02-05-18 12:03 AM - Post#246151    
    In response to bradley

So its a "Great and fair way to send the NCAA representative vs. a brutally fought 14 game season. "

Its great for Penn, perhaps, but not for any other team.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
02-05-18 12:17 AM - Post#246153    

In pre-game interview, Henderson said Brennan was at family funeral.

palestra38 
Professor

02-05-18 12:29 AM - Post#246159    
    In response to Local Observer

He was being sarcastic, not that I should have to telegraph that for you.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.251 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:05 AM