Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#21111)
Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
02-06-18 08:06 PM - Post#246549    
    In response to bradley

Penn +2 on offensive boards at the half. Feels like more.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Pennsylvania
02-06-18 08:18 PM - Post#246562    
    In response to Tiger84

Princeton continues to be sievelike on defense and all hero ball on offense. Really hard for this 40+ year Tiger fan to like this team. So much potential, so little performance. And little effort tonight. At the his point, I hope they have the flu and it’s not just a complete lack of basketball fundamentals.

Edited by TigerFan on 02-06-18 08:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-06-18 08:21 PM - Post#246569    
    In response to TigerFan

Mitch being thoroughly out-coached tonight. Penn has a nice team but this is ugly basketball

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-06-18 08:47 PM - Post#246608    
    In response to TigerFan

Tigers need to try something different on D. 1-3-1? Full court trap? They just can’t guard well enough playing straight up.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-06-18 09:11 PM - Post#246649    
    In response to TigerFan

Total beat down. They had better conceived and better executed offensive and defensive schemes.

But the ultimate weak link is our interior defense.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
02-06-18 09:17 PM - Post#246657    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
Tigers need to try something different on D. 1-3-1? Full court trap? They just can’t guard well enough playing straight up.

They did try a 1-3-1 on a couple possessions late in the first half, got burned on the second of those, and never went back to it.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-06-18 09:32 PM - Post#246662    
    In response to TigerFan

Penn obviously deserved to win. Other than Bell, they got almost every loose ball. They kept their offense going by keeping the ball alive with tap outs. Their offense kept moving the ball for open men while Tigers offense was stagnant.

Cannady was riding the bike at half time and looked like he was in discomfort.

At this point, I might simply play Arirguzoh, Much and DesRosiers rather than Gladson, Brennan and LeBlanc. Maybe, take some lumps but let the young guys get action. Arirguzoh and DesRosiers bring energy to the court and they need it badly.

Last year, there was a debate as to which IL team is the best team based on some type of statistical measurement vs. wins/losses. Answer is always the same and Penn right now is 6-0.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
02-06-18 09:46 PM - Post#246665    
    In response to bradley

"You are what your record says you are."

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-06-18 09:47 PM - Post#246666    
    In response to bradley

I had wondered how Cannady would fare tonight. He looked hurt on Saturday night and was also riding the bike (although later played exceptionally well down the stretch).

He had an off game tonight although darned if he didn't give it his all--making some huge tap outs over bigger defenders to keep possessions alive.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania
02-06-18 10:16 PM - Post#246675    
    In response to penn nation

Thank God for the Ivy Tourney. Season would be over otherwise. Just get it together and show up for that big weekend. The talent is there...the energy and polish are not right now. They got rusty and/or complacent over the break.

Hope Cannady is alright...lord knows we need him. I think riding a bike between stints is a remedy for back tightness, but I could be wrong about that.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-06-18 10:20 PM - Post#246677    

We’ll have to see how they do next weekend but Penn is earning home court for the you know what.

Tigers have some serious soul searching to do.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-07-18 05:28 AM - Post#246688    
    In response to TigerFan

Just had a chance to watch it on replay after shielding myself from information about the score. That sucked.

Everybody on the team got backed down in the post, and there was no help because of the fear of outside shooting. Slightly baffled that Aririguzoh didn't get a turn in the barrel. Why do the Tigers not play to force turnovers? Opponents are already shooting the lights out, so there is little to lose from gambling a bit to get them out of rhythm. The 1-3-1 did okay, but it disappeared quickly.

Stephens, Bell, and Cannady played hard, but not always well, committing a lot of mental mistakes. Way too many offensive turnovers from dribbling into traffic, not enough passing to move the defense. I wouldn't mind some stagger screens being run for Cannady to free him up off the ball, like they used to run for Clay Wilson. Much was a mixed bag, getting abused defensively, committing some offensive mistakes, but making a few timely shots along the way.

But this game was not really about the Xs and Os. The Tigers started off looking rattled in the first five minutes, calmed down a bit through the middle of the game, then came unglued again late in the second half. They got beat to a lot of 50-50 balls, they got pushed around, they were a beat slow on play after play. Confidence and aggressiveness just weren't there.

This group needs to have a team meeting or something to figure out how they are going to salvage their season and make it one they enjoy looking back on.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-07-18 06:59 AM - Post#246689    
    In response to SRP

The offense consists of:

Receive the ball on the perimeter.
Pump fake.
Peer inside, think about dribble penetration.
Then pass to the next open man, even if he has to back-pedal to get open.
Repeat.
Randomly dribble into the lane after the pump fake.
Generally lose the ball when a helping defender swipes at it, or make a bad pass. Unless you are Amir Bell or Myles Stephens, who occasionally make it to the rim.

The ball movement on the perimeter seems to occur without a goal.

I guess this is what happens when you don't run "plays"; just read and react.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Re: Pennsylvania
02-07-18 10:12 AM - Post#246701    

• penn nation Said:
Next step: Let's work on the jerseys.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
  • Eric Von Zipper Said:
Opens Princeton -5

By the way, props to you for referring to us by the right and proper moniker "Pennsylvania."

Hurrah, Hurrah, PENNSYLVANIA!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-07-18 03:15 PM - Post#246763    
    In response to SRP

Major Differences last year to this year.
1. Spencer Weisz passing to open 3 pt shooters.
2. Spencer and Steven Cook -- Leadership
3. Cook's defense
4. Miller's interior defense when needed

No matter had talented the freshmen are or no matter what the stats say, the Tigers are a work-in-progress. I feel bad for Bell as he has given it his all but it is tough to compensate for losing two first team IL players.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
02-07-18 03:35 PM - Post#246765    
    In response to bradley

Major differences last year vs. this year:

1) Last year when Princeton needed a defensive stop, they would shut down the other team.

2) Last year when Princeton needed to score, they would score.

Bottom line... It really didn't matter what the score was early on, because come crunch time, Princeton would ratchet up the D and hit the big shots and win the game.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-07-18 03:39 PM - Post#246766    
    In response to bradley

Cannady looking a bit nicked up isn't helping either.

Having watched every game but one this year, I have to say that regardless of the numbers I've felt best about this team when Aririguzoh is on the floor. He gives the best post defense (often staying a foot away from the offensive player's body while keeping his arms up and threatening a block) and I like his passing out of the post and offensive rebounding.

I generally don't understand why the lineups and style that were successful on the West Coast swing have disappeared. Young has been OK, but Schweiger is the only guy who consistently cuts to the rim with authority. Leblanc has been OK, but we hardly see the red-hot Desrosiers.

And last night confirmed my feelings about the extreme one-on-one offensive style. It can work against a Brown, but not consistently against good defensive teams. Harvard may be even better on D than Penn (although with an aggressive style that may allow one-on-one drives a bit more), so the Tigers might want to think about playing more through the post, kicking the ball to the weak side, etc.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-07-18 04:10 PM - Post#246773    
    In response to Cvonvorys

• Cvonvorys Said:
Major differences last year vs. this year:

1) Last year when Princeton needed a defensive stop, they would shut down the other team.

2) Last year when Princeton needed to score, they would score.

Bottom line... It really didn't matter what the score was early on, because come crunch time, Princeton would ratchet up the D and hit the big shots and win the game.

Here's a nice little add: you can substitute "Penn" for "Princeton" in the above passage, and it totally describes this year's Penn team.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.499 seconds.   Total Queries: 19   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:50 PM