Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Princeton, etc.        (Topic#21125)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-07-18 08:53 PM - Post#246839    

I love the fan enthusiasm on these boards, but I think a death certificate for the Tiger's is a little premature, as is the crowning of Penn. P'ton, Harvard and Yale and the C's are well coached and have talent. The Keggies in Hanover may figure how to win a close game or two as well.

For that matter, I think knighthood (or NBA-hood) for Desmond Cambridge is also premature and I doubt there a bigger Cambridge fan than I am. but we still have big game ahead. I do agree that the Tournament adds a lot of a lot of interest to the next few weekends.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Princeton, etc.
02-07-18 09:45 PM - Post#246853    
    In response to Old Bear

Absolutely, and I wouldn’t take the exuberance of Penn fans as an indicator we think we’ve reached the summit. I think we’re mainly just happy to finally be back in the conversation.

To me, Princeton is still a virtual lock to be in the tournament, although 3-3 after playing 5 home games is a bit of a hole. I think they’ll get out with room to spare. But no question that Harvard is in the best position, and then Penn.

With Brown, Cambridge has certainly impressed (or frightened) the Harvard, Penn, and Princeton fans who have seen him once. I suspect there will be bumps along the way as teams adjust to him. I also think the all offense no defense narrative is a little off for Brown — overall despite some very nice pieces and some very strong games, the offense hasn’t been that strong statistically. In fact, the offense only moved ahead of the defense in the pomeroy rankings last weekend. While it is certainly possible Cambridge turned a corner and they’ll never look back, it is more likely that this is a hot streak and the offense isn’t as good and the Defense isn’t as bad as either appeared last weekend.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-07-18 10:02 PM - Post#246856    
    In response to SomeGuy

Speaking only for myself, but I can't imagine any of the Penn posters on this board assume that Penn will necessarily be the first seed, or for that matter even win a game, in the IL tourney. Or assume, for that matter, that Princeton won't be there.

But there is a changing of the guard--Penn is back...at least for this year, and hopefully for the foreseeable future.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
02-07-18 10:20 PM - Post#246858    
    In response to SomeGuy

Interesting to try to judge who's in the best position. Harvard having only 2 more away games is obviously a big plus.

But if you arbitrarily define the top 'half' of the league as the 5 teams 3-3 and better, Harvard has the most games (6) against that cohort. Columbia and Brown have 5, and the P's have 4.

So some of it comes down to would you rather play Cornell/Dartmouth on the road, or the P's at home.

I'm sure Mike can help us with the specific odds of playing a better team at home vs. a worse team on the road, but for what's it is worth, KenPom would has Harvard, Penn, and Princeton all going 5-3 down the stretch.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-07-18 10:49 PM - Post#246863    
    In response to QHoops

Harvard is decidedly in the drivers seat. Every Ivy winner in close to forever has won 4+ road games and mostly protected their home court. If you win at home and win 4+ on the road you will finish 11-3 or better. That's IL regular season title numbers a majority of the time.

Harvard already has 4 road wins. No other Ivy has more than 1. Penn and Princeton have a chance to close that gap but Harvard will have a say obviously.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-07-18 11:12 PM - Post#246865    
    In response to PennFan10

A lot could be known by 6pm Saturday - or not. 4pm start for Penn at Harvard. Gotta believe Bryce is on the shelf though. Some questioning Cannaday’s health.

Taking the trip up and at least feeding my son a few more times before he graduates

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-07-18 11:22 PM - Post#246867    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Curious to see how Penn attacks Harvard’s point guards with the quick turnaround. Wonder if they’ll have the legs to take advantage.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.218 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:38 AM