Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Dartmouth Game Topic        (Topic#21134)
Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-10-18 12:26 AM - Post#247195    
    In response to Quakers03

One more thing. Can we talk about how nice it is to have an aggressive AJ again? Sure I'd love to see him throw one down every once in a while, but you can add this one to the growing list of games in which he was the difference down the stretch with a big shot.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-10-18 09:25 AM - Post#247216    
    In response to Quakers03

Game could have easily gone the other way.

The pluses:

AJ bossed both ends of the court.

Foreman has another big game. He's the best guard on the team right now. SomeGuy - yes, Foreman was drawing the more difficult assignments on D and doing the best job.

Silpe on the offensive end. Needs to be sharper on the defensive end but was OK enough.

Betley's FT shooting at the end of the game.

I'm happy enough to escape Hanover with a win that I don't feel like going over the minuses. Agree with AsiaSunset that last night's performance won't get it done against Harvard. Though I'm surprised Dartmouth hasn't won a game in conference yet, they are better than their record would make you believe.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Dartmouth Game Topic
02-10-18 10:06 AM - Post#247221    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
Anyone else notice the mistake Steve made in subbing out Betley on the Dartmouth free throw at the end? He seemed shocked to be leaving the floor and then wasn't back after Dartmouth made both. Darnell saved the coach by calmly sinking both, but what in the hell happened? What was he thinking? Obviously he was afraid of him getting a foul and figured Dartmouth would miss on purpose, but Ryan can rebound too. They also seemed to have a lot of confusion and ended up Icing Betley even longer before he made the second free throw to extend it to 3. Then Steve called timeout to set up the foul, but you'd like to have seen that handled prior so he could have saved his timeout and not given Dartmouth a chance to draw something up when they had 0 timeouts left. Fouling makes it more moot, but it was just awkward.

All in all it is another good win. Considering all the easy layups and 3's they missed, the fact that they haven't won up there in forever and with Max being sick? I'll take it. The 4 start definitely doesn't help, but they came out firing vs Dayton around the same time, so maybe they'll do that again tomorrow.

And how about Jake?! If he really can hit the 3, he is just going to play more and more and more. I love it.

I did. I worried that we would be stuck without a good FT shooter on the floor in a situation where DC's only play was to foul. That could have cost us the game, but Foreman came through with a pair.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-10-18 10:22 AM - Post#247222    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I'm not sure that foul with a few seconds to go was the right call either - it was with too many seconds on the clock. Donahue got too cute with those last second maneuvers and it could have cost. Thankfully it didn't.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-10-18 10:38 AM - Post#247225    
    In response to TheLine

Donahue has handled end of game management amazingly well to this point. Let's not get overly worked up over one possible mistake.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
02-10-18 10:53 AM - Post#247227    
    In response to TheLine

Totally agree. That play always seems to be debatable but if you don't foul they still have to make a low % three and, even if they do, the worst outcome is probably OT. Hope we don't see that again if we are in that same position.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-10-18 02:37 PM - Post#247239    
    In response to AsiaSunset

As I pointed out in the other thread, I thought the foul was the right move at the time. Still do. He might have liked his chances in the unlikely event of OT. I know I did.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-10-18 02:40 PM - Post#247240    
    In response to Streamers

I never used to be a foul guy but I'm coming around to it more. I thought that was the right situation to do it, and I also thought the home timer helped keep that thing at 5 seconds by the time of the foul.

I think the issue with Jake on d is he gets too amped up to make a play and gets caught watching the ball instead of his man. I don't think it's anything that more PT wouldn't cure.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
02-10-18 02:56 PM - Post#247244    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
I'm not sure that foul with a few seconds to go was the right call either - it was with too many seconds on the clock. Donahue got too cute with those last second maneuvers and it could have cost. Thankfully it didn't.

With a three point lead and five seconds left, I'd rather give up the FTs and get the ball back. Make the opponent earn the points and have to foul to get the ball back.

Don't let them attempt a three point shot.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
02-10-18 02:57 PM - Post#247245    
    In response to Quakers03

Yeah, he’s always trying to gamble on reading the passing lanes for a steal, which leaves him out of good guarding position.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-10-18 03:59 PM - Post#247251    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Let's have a little geeky fun with this: up 3 with 5 seconds left Dartmouth with the ball, ESPN says you are 94% to win. Let's call it 90. You play it out. They need a 3 to send it to OT - 20% (generous) probability of that then you are 50% in OT.

You foul. 74% FT shooter on the line. Only a couple of ways to lose. Johnson makes both (50%), steals the inbounds (ouch, brings back memories of the women last year) and makes the bucket to tie and win in OT or win outright. maybe 5% that happens at best. OR - Johnson makes first and misses 2nd on purpose (75%), THEN DC gets rebound, makes a 3 to win or a 2 for OT, then wins. Again, 3% tops.

Add up the losing scenarios and you get something like 2.5%+2.3% = 4.8%. Slightly better if you foul.

I'm sure someone will challenge my estimates, but I'd be curious what the advanced stats folks would have to say about the wisdom of Steve's call. Of course that 3 Johnson made 6 seconds earlier had something to do with Steve's thinking.

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.238 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:25 PM