Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#21137)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-10-18 06:50 PM - Post#247361    
    In response to rbg

Credit where it is due. Harvard hits the dagger 3's and nearly all their FTs. They had answers for everything Penn did. Our guys were gassed. At least Betley is out of his funk. See ya next week.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
02-10-18 06:50 PM - Post#247362    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Chris Lewis: “We knew what was at stake.” Nothing?

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
02-10-18 06:53 PM - Post#247363    

Not an excuse, but what is this 4:00 start time Bs?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-10-18 06:54 PM - Post#247364    

Free throws:

Harvard 21
Penn 9

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-10-18 07:01 PM - Post#247365    
    In response to rbg

Penn -
6-24 (25%) from three
21-35 (60%) from two
7-9 (78%) from FT
Offensive rebounding rate 26%
Defensive rebounding rate 70%
Turnovers 11 (Harvard gets 15 pts off TO)
Blocks 1

Betley 16 (all in 2nd half), AJ 14, Max 12 (missed large chunk of 2nd half; 67% shooting), Darnell 10, Caleb 9 (33% shooting)

Harvard -
5-15 (33%) from three (3 in last 5 minutes)
22-43 (51%) from two
17-21 (81%) from FT
Offensive rebounding rate 30%
Defensive rebounding rate 74%
Turnovers 6 (Penn gets 10 pts off TO)
Blocks 7

Lewis 16 (career high; 71% Shooting), Towns 17 (43% shooting), Bassey 12, Djuricic 9 (80% shooting), Juzang 8

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-10-18 07:03 PM - Post#247366    
    In response to rbg

Penn women now have to even things out with a win against the Crimson later tonight.

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-08-11
02-10-18 07:05 PM - Post#247367    

• Chip Bayers Said:

Ha. Maybe even less than nothing. I still think we're better than they are. We'll have better refs when we play the one that counts against them on March 11 at the Palestra.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
02-10-18 07:15 PM - Post#247368    
    In response to westphillywarrior

• westphillywarrior Said:
  • Chip Bayers Said:

Ha. Maybe even less than nothing. I still think we're better than they are. We'll have better refs when we play the one that counts against them on March 11 at the Palestra.

I'll chalk this up to being the third road game in five days for our guys.

They're deeper than we are, at the least. They are a team that can occasionally lose focus, and Amaker isn't a great in-game coach, but they looked pretty locked in.

That said, I don't understand our going to such a short rotation. Simmons and Goodman could have given us something, to keep the starters from burning out.

We didn't have an answer for Lewis.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-10-18 07:38 PM - Post#247372    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Catching up to both Friday's game and this one just right now. Thank you oh so much NY Times for not including a Friday single college basketball score in Saturday's home delivery.

We won 2 out of 3 games this week, which is basically what we needed to do. That's a tough assignment playing 5 games in 9 days--we're looking at you, Princeton University scheduling.

penn nation 
Professor

02-10-18 07:39 PM - Post#247373    
    In response to Charlie Fog

We discussed this earlier this week. NESN dictated the change...pretty ridiculous. 7 pm Bruins game (but still, one hour reserved for pre-Bruins coverage).

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
02-10-18 08:39 PM - Post#247382    
    In response to penn nation

From DP game story:

Max Rothschild was “not 100 percent” all weekend due to a cyst in his tailbone, according to [Steve] Donahue.

“He was completely dehydrated, drained, exhausted," Donahue said. "He had sleepless nights coming into the weekend. I’m surprised he even played.”

tguru 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-10-05
02-10-18 08:46 PM - Post#247383    
    In response to Charlie Fog

• Charlie Fog Said:
Not an excuse, but what is this 4:00 start time Bs?

That/ plus somewhere near the border of criminal and we don't give a damn what we put these amateur athletes through physically.

penn nation 
Professor

Harvard
02-10-18 10:00 PM - Post#247406    
    In response to tguru

After this weekend's games, Harvard and Penn will almost surely be the #1 and #2 seeds.

Penn still has a chance to get the #1 seed and guaranteed postseason tourney berth, but to do so it would almost certainly need to beat Harvard in the home rematch.

Edited by penn nation on 02-10-18 10:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-10-18 10:05 PM - Post#247409    

• penn nation Said:

We won 2 out of 3 games this week, which is basically what we needed to do. That's a tough assignment playing 5 games in 9 days--we're looking at you, Princeton University scheduling.

In fairness, the second Princeton game has always been in the middle of some week, and always will be regardless of Princeton's academic schedule, unless you really want to play them both times at the beginning of the league season like the other three pairs do, which I sure don't.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

penn nation 
Professor

02-10-18 10:14 PM - Post#247411    
    In response to dperry

Before the advent of the IL tourney, the 2nd Princeton game was that Tuesday, but that was it--no five games in nine days. The IL bid was usually among the very earliest of the NCAA bids, and there was a nice week+ break before the next game to be played.

No longer.

Actually, now that IL tourney has done away with Penn-Princeton being the last IL regular season game of the year (which, God forbid, they would never do with Harvard-Yale Football), I'm actually all for precisely what you suggest since there's no longer any special status attached to P-Pr games.

Penn and Princeton SHOULD play each other early on twice, before the rest of the IL games take place. Otherwise they get into the kind of situation they just faced--5 IL games in 9 days--that no other IL team has to contend with. Both Penn and Princeton suffered from this, especially Penn with that ridiculous 4 pm start today.

• dperry Said:
  • penn nation Said:

In fairness, the second Princeton game has always been in the middle of some week, and always will be regardless of Princeton's academic schedule, unless you really want to play them both times at the beginning of the league season like the other three pairs do, which I sure don't.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-10-18 11:48 PM - Post#247419    

• penn nation Said:
Before the advent of the IL tourney, the 2nd Princeton game was that Tuesday, but that was it--no five games in nine days. The IL bid was usually among the very earliest of the NCAA bids, and there was a nice week+ break before the next game to be played.

No longer.

Actually, now that IL tourney has done away with Penn-Princeton being the last IL regular season game of the year (which, God forbid, they would never do with Harvard-Yale Football), I'm actually all for precisely what you suggest since there's no longer any special status attached to P-Pr games.

Penn and Princeton SHOULD play each other early on twice, before the rest of the IL games take place. Otherwise they get into the kind of situation they just faced--5 IL games in 9 days--that no other IL team has to contend with. Both Penn and Princeton suffered from this, especially Penn with that ridiculous 4 pm start today.

1. Even when the second game was the last of the season, it still made three games in five days, which was bad enough, particularly when it was often important--see 2012 for an example of that.
2. Also, always having that game at the end of the season was a relatively recent phenomenon--it really only started after I graduated ('92). There were many years before that where both games were in the middle of the week.
3. The scheduling of the two games is still at the discretion of the two teams; the SEA hasn't changed that--the women played each other the last Tuesday last season. They've chosen to move it to get the rest before the SEA, but they weren't required to.
4. It would be very difficult to have both games at the beginning of the league season with Princeton's current calendar, unless you wanted to do what Harvard and Dartmouth used to do and play one game in December, which is way too early to play any league game, much less one against a program that is generally one of the better ones in the league. However, even if Princeton does move their exams before Christmas, I still want to reserve one game for later, both because it's still a big rivalry, and it would be a shame for it to be over before the rest of the season even begins, and also because they're one of the better programs, and even with the SEA, I don't want to take the chance of losing both games and being behind the 8-ball that early. (May have more to say about this after the women's game on Tuesday.) Furthermore, it would make it even harder to schedule Big 5 games than it already is.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Harvard
02-11-18 12:34 AM - Post#247420    
    In response to dperry

Tough game to end a long run, but honestly coming out of this 7-1, is just about as good as we could ask for heading into it. Of course would have loved to find a way to win @Harvard, but my assumption was that would be tough and after seeing last nights result, I wasn’t feeling it.

If we can get Max healthy and come in more rested, I like our chances at the Palestra even if they do get Aiken back.

Moving forward, I think Coach Donahue needs to get more bench mins to keep the starters fresh through the end of the season. I especially think we have to find a way to get Simmons closer to 15 mins a game and frankly if Max was that banged up today it makes no sense to me why one of our most athletic players never got off the the bench especially when Lewis was having his way inside (it’s not like what we were doing was working). Wood had a really brutal shooting weekend, and while I liked that Donahue stuck with him anyway, we’ve got to find ways to get other shooters in the game during some of these droughts.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
02-11-18 12:37 AM - Post#247421    
    In response to Mike Porter

I couldn’t watch the end as closely as I would have liked (just joined the Dad club on Mon), so I didn’t see clearly why Max went out. Did it look related to this tailbone issue?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-11-18 01:50 AM - Post#247422    
    In response to Mike Porter

Jarrod has not developed this season. He was lost against Dartmouth and looks very tentative. I don't see how playing him in a big game at Harvard was going to help him. I have no problem with SD not playing him today.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
02-11-18 02:43 AM - Post#247424    
    In response to PennFan10

Yeah that was just my snap reaction, but I’m sure you’re right. He definitely seems to have regressed the last month instead of progressed which is a shame because I still think the need more time from him to be the best version of itself to give AJ and Max a break (and honestly he has all the tools, but just seems to lack the confidence).

Unrelated but I got to watch some more of the game and while it’s still a disappointing result, have to like how the team never gave up and did make a little run when it looked like they could have folded into a blow out. Let’s get them in the rematch at the Palestra.

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.21 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:47 AM