Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#21137)
10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
02-11-18 07:31 AM - Post#247425    
    In response to Mike Porter

My dreams of a 14-0 Ivy season are shattered. I will be consoled by two double digit wins next weekend. LGQ!!

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-11-18 07:42 AM - Post#247427    

Congrats on joining the dad club! It’s fun. We meet mornings at 5:30 am.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Harvard
02-11-18 10:53 AM - Post#247432    

Not sure what it means, but I thought Harvard played smaller at the 3-4 than they sometimes do (while play8ng bigger at the 5 by having Lewis or Welsh on the court all game). And while i I only could watch the first half and didn’t see if we changed up the Defense, I think having Woods on Towns and AJ on Bassey (and of course Max on Lewis) wasn’t working for us in the first half. Seemed like we were losing all 3 matchups while I was watching.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-11-18 11:50 AM - Post#247437    
    In response to dperry

In the earlier times the Ps dominated the Ivies. That is no longer the case. Why put yourself and your travel partner at a competitive disadvantage?

• dperry Said:
  • penn nation Said:
Before the advent of the IL tourney, the 2nd Princeton game was that Tuesday, but that was it--no five games in nine days. The IL bid was usually among the very earliest of the NCAA bids, and there was a nice week+ break before the next game to be played.

No longer.

Actually, now that IL tourney has done away with Penn-Princeton being the last IL regular season game of the year (which, God forbid, they would never do with Harvard-Yale Football), I'm actually all for precisely what you suggest since there's no longer any special status attached to P-Pr games.

Penn and Princeton SHOULD play each other early on twice, before the rest of the IL games take place. Otherwise they get into the kind of situation they just faced--5 IL games in 9 days--that no other IL team has to contend with. Both Penn and Princeton suffered from this, especially Penn with that ridiculous 4 pm start today.

1. Even when the second game was the last of the season, it still made three games in five days, which was bad enough, particularly when it was often important--see 2012 for an example of that.
2. Also, always having that game at the end of the season was a relatively recent phenomenon--it really only started after I graduated ('92). There were many years before that where both games were in the middle of the week.
3. The scheduling of the two games is still at the discretion of the two teams; the SEA hasn't changed that--the women played each other the last Tuesday last season. They've chosen to move it to get the rest before the SEA, but they weren't required to.
4. It would be very difficult to have both games at the beginning of the league season with Princeton's current calendar, unless you wanted to do what Harvard and Dartmouth used to do and play one game in December, which is way too early to play any league game, much less one against a program that is generally one of the better ones in the league. However, even if Princeton does move their exams before Christmas, I still want to reserve one game for later, both because it's still a big rivalry, and it would be a shame for it to be over before the rest of the season even begins, and also because they're one of the better programs, and even with the SEA, I don't want to take the chance of losing both games and being behind the 8-ball that early. (May have more to say about this after the women's game on Tuesday.) Furthermore, it would make it even harder to schedule Big 5 games than it already is.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-11-18 11:59 AM - Post#247440    
    In response to penn nation

I wonder if we do better when Harvard plays with Aiken. Chris Lewis took 14 shots and made 71%. Aiken is a high volume shooter and Lewis seems to be taking 7-10 shots when playing with Aiken.

Post touches are higher percentage shots, typically. Provided Aiken doesn't shoot 70% I think Harvard isn't as patient with getting the ball to Lewis with Aiken on the floor. They may not need to be. Seth Towns was 6-14 with Woods on him, Bassey was 3-8, Corey 0-5.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
02-11-18 12:59 PM - Post#247443    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Congrats on joining the dad club! It’s fun. We meet mornings at 5:30 am.

Hah, thanks Mike! I’ll look forward to the meetings. Right now we are enjoying the 3 hour cycle and rotations.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-11-18 01:32 PM - Post#247445    

Grab whatever sleep you can get. And hopefully you have a good network of support from family and friends to help you out here. Begging is encouraging.

Our first kids were twin boys. I barely got any sleep the first 6 months. My "vacation" was going to work, where I could actually do what I wanted, when I wanted!

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
02-11-18 02:59 PM - Post#247454    

Yes that’s what we are definitely trying to do! Thankfully my wife’s family is here in Los Angeles. My younger brother is out here but my parents are still in South Jersey (though my mom will have plenty of excuses to come visit now for first grandchild and especially for a granddaughter since she never had a girl to dress up of her own). I’m not above begging either, haha. I’ve been off last week and will take at least a few more days but will prob go back to work mid next week and save some time off for later when my wife will have less help.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
02-11-18 03:55 PM - Post#247461    

Congratulations Mike on your new club membership! The most expensive club you will join (even more expensive than Mar-A-Lago!) but the MOST rewarding and fun. Enjoy every day with your new daughter - you will not believe how the time flies. And the most important sayings for you are "You're right, dear" and "I'm sorry".

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
02-11-18 04:32 PM - Post#247466    
    In response to SteveChop

Boy, Mike! That kid changed gender and grew up fast! See this article

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/ar tic...

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-13-18 01:59 PM - Post#247693    

• penn nation Said:
In the earlier times the Ps dominated the Ivies. That is no longer the case. Why put yourself and your travel partner at a competitive disadvantage?

My overall point is, I don't think that competitive disadvantage outweighs the other disadvantages I mentioned before, particularly if Princeton doesn't change their calendar.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:05 PM