Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#21173)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-18-18 09:44 AM - Post#248450    
    In response to SRP

Your comments regarding "seeing" the defense's effort is indeed true. There was a discussion after the Monmouth game if we witnessed the defense playing with much greater effort or was it simply a function of Monmouth giving away the ball -- both were true for that game but the defensive effort carried over pretty much for the next 8 games even with Stephens and Bell being the only really good defenders.

Your observations throughout much of the season as to the offense were accurate based on "seeing" as well. There are many contributing reasons regarding stats and some of it was incredible insane 3 pt shooting by Cannady for part of the season.

To me, stats are important data points that may or may not tell the story. They often seem to be lagging indicators vs. leading indicators. They do have some predictive qualities if a team's play remains somewhat consistent unlike the Tigers this year -- i.e. look at Vegas point spreads this year for Tiger games.

Stats may not tell us why. The why as to Tiger's lack of defensive effort for segments of the season are multiple but missing Cook and Miller defensive's efforts and mentality has been the major factor in my opinion. On top of that, add Weisz's mental toughness and leadership. The team had chemistry and focus last year unlike this year which is not always part of analytics.

Coach Henderson bears the brunt of what has happened this year. Bell, Cannady and Stephens leadership can certainly be questioned as well and finally, the uneven play of the freshmen.

At the end of the day, hopefully Coach will learn some lessons. For instance, give Arirguzoh additional playing time. I believe that Coach will make adjustments going forward and it may turn out to be a powerful learning experience for him.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-19-18 11:55 AM - Post#248576    
    In response to bradley

I looked through the play-by-play for the game. Princeton led 59-38 early in the second half. Cornell then scored 34 points on their next 15 possessions. They scored at least 2 points on each of those 15 possessions.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.301 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:39 PM