Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Danger Ahead -Bison Recruitment Problem? - Another View        (Topic#21175)
candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
02-16-18 09:58 AM - Post#247965    

The Bison have won for 4 yrs on the strength of their three AllStar Seniors,recruited by Paulsen. Add Kimbal as a 4th AllStar caliber player.

But, danger signal! Rest of supporting cast, recruited by Davis & staff does not appear to have even one player who might reach the AllStar status of the 3 Seniors!

Can Davis & staff followup the nearly impossible task of recruiting AllStar players, the high impact type such as Brown, Thomas & Nana, who will keep Bucknell on top or near top of Patriot League for next several years? Seems it has to happen this year and next IF Bison are to remain THE team to beat? Your opinion welcomed.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
02-16-18 11:27 AM - Post#247981    
    In response to candyfan

Candyfan, I understand your concern, but I think that the Bison might have the most talented bench in the PL. In addition to Mackenzie who is around for another potential All-Star caliber season, I think that Sotos, Sestina, Toomer, and Moore have been relegated to support rolls. To keep it simple, THEY ALL HAVE GAME! As such, I am expecting big things from the Bison again next year.

For now, just enjoy the ride.

GO BISON!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
02-16-18 02:56 PM - Post#248034    
    In response to Bison89

I agree 89. Toomer, Moore, and Robertson are a great class. Sotos will develop into an All-League talent. Jury is still out on Meeks and Newman (though both looked good on Wed). Next year's class is the concern with only one commitment, albeit a good one in Funk.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
02-16-18 04:58 PM - Post#248067    
    In response to jkrun80

I agree with the two replies to date. The present Bucknell bench is talented and "may" develop a Patriot League All Star next year or so.

Toomer, Sestina, Moore, Sotos and others may well develop into high impact players, given the relative mediocrity of the rest of the League these days. I'd like to hear more on this......

I have full confidence in Davis and staff to get the job done on what is a class A tough act to follow. But the time to start showing up with the next Brown, Thomas and Foulland is drawing near.

Meanwhile let's enjoy perhaps the best team Bucknell has ever had in their remaining season.

Here's to a big win (or two) in the NCAA! That of course assumes the Bison win their post season tournament! GO Bison !

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
Re: Danger Ahead -Bison Recruitment Problem? - Another View
02-16-18 05:28 PM - Post#248072    
    In response to candyfan

“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.”
– Winston Churchill

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
02-16-18 07:32 PM - Post#248084    
    In response to DoCtoR62

I recall a similar discussion the year Muscala, Willman, and Johnson graduated. And look where we are now. No one will argue that Toomer, Moore, and Sestina are in the same category as the current seniors right now. But in another year, who knows? We'll be fine.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
02-16-18 07:59 PM - Post#248085    
    In response to jkrun80

Another key part to the future will be what Sestina does with his redshirt year. I was told it is up to him at this point.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-16-18 09:28 PM - Post#248116    
    In response to candyfan

I think it's too early to tell. ND's first class (Toomer, Moore, and Robertson) could turn out to be a good one - but we won't be able to tell until next year when they are asked to do a lot more. The second class has one strong player and two who would be graded incomplete. And the third has what appears to be a strong player but is up against a headwind in trying to complete the class with spring signees. ND appears to have set his sights high and just missed one a few strong players. Was one of two finalists for center Ryan Davis and lost him to Vermont. Was one of two finalists for center Quentin Milora-Brown, who opted for Rice. Also was a finalist for a strong guard two years ago who ended up at Creighton.

DP and his staff proved to be strong recruiters - but it wasn't due to consistently good classes. Instead they had two "home run" classes - Muscala, Willman, Johnson, Klebon; and Foulland, Thomas, Brown, and Show. Along with these two super classes, there were also two other really good players (Ayers and Hass). He also brought in many average PL players, but there were enough very good players to produce strong teams. To continue the Bison tradition, ND will need a "home run" class at some point.

PF in the scholarship era also had two very strong classes - McNaughton, D. Brown, J. Clark, Badmus; and Boon, Shazier, and O'Brien. Unfortunately the latter class was badly hurt by O'Brien's transfer. PF also had four other strong players in Griffin, Cohen, Behan, and Tyree (whose career was unfortunately crippled by the terrible knee injury).

So the model seems to be to get at least one strong player every year and then hit a "home run" every four years or so. Hopefully ND can do that.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-16-18 09:30 PM - Post#248117    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
Another key part to the future will be what Sestina does with his redshirt year. I was told it is up to him at this point.

Yes. In the 2019-20 season, Nate could definitely challenge for a spot on the All-PL 1st team. And the team, if he returns, could be really good.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:49 PM