Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Latest on the Wrestling program        (Topic#21188)
MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-18-18 02:01 AM - Post#248435    

Forgive me if this was recently discussed, but just curious what the latest is with Bucknell Wrestling. I see they lost to Bloomsburg, who themselves are not the program they once were.

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
Re: Latest on the Wrestling program
02-18-18 02:52 AM - Post#248436    
    In response to MrPhillie

nothing magic about any Div 1 wrestling program, Bucknell is down 5 starters from the beginning of season. As a Penn State season ticket holder, even the Lions suffer when starters go down, almost lost dual at Lehigh with a backup at 165 lb, and with Jason Nolf out at 157, team is fine, but not one win as of yet with his backup. Buxknell is young and 2 of the guys out were NCAA qulifiers last season and Sr. Tom Shleigh , was a 3 time qualifier. It has been one of those years for Bucknell, looking for a couple of guys doing well in post season Tyler Smith snd Dru Phipps, might slide DJ Hollingshead through, tough sport when your best guys, are sitting on the side.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-18-18 11:46 AM - Post#248464    
    In response to nitlion

True. Most of BU's top wrestlers have missed most or all of the year:

- Garrett Hoffman (184/197), who qualified for the NCAA's as a frosh at 184.
- Eric Chakonis, a freshman who was twice the NJ Open Meet champ at heavyweight.
- Tom Sleigh (197), who is one of the top wrestlers in Bison history and who qualified for the NCAA's his first three years.
- Jakob Campbell (125) - a frosh who had a win at Penn State before being hurt.
- Zach Kelly (157) - was one of Bucknell's highest-level recruits but unfortunately suffered a bunch of injuries; started the year as a starter but got hurt again and has now left the team.
- Joey Gould (133) - had a very good freshman season last year but missed most of this year; just returned this week - but at 149.

Also Jordan Gessner (125) - who had a very good freshman year last year, including a 4th place at the EIWA championships - was not on the team this year. Not sure about his situation.

- - - - -

The good news is that not only should the majority of the wrestlers on the above list be back next year but also there is a very good recruiting class coming in. If the BU administration would let Bill Graham fund scholarships, Bucknell could become a very strong program - although there is no chance of ever reaching the level of a Lehigh without having most of the wrestlers redshirt, as Lehigh does.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-18-18 03:26 PM - Post#248500    
    In response to Bison137

Thanks for the info. I knew some starters were out but haven’t seen much news. I know they were very solid but like I said, didn’t know all the info. Maybe it was a glitch, but even the Bucknell athletic site didn’t list coaches.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
02-18-18 09:45 PM - Post#248546    
    In response to MrPhillie

As a Bloomsburg alumni, our wrestling program is struggling but resilient considering the limited talent. Bucknell’s program is much healthier. Recent graduations of All-American level talent and injuries have hurt the Bison this season. Don’t be too dismayed by the loss.....however Bloomsburg is terrible and our wrestling board is almost nonexistent now given the University’s apathetic approach to our only Division I sport.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.246 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:23 AM