Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 10 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: Penn v Yale        (Topic#21245)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Penn v Yale
03-03-18 05:29 PM - Post#250471    
    In response to 73Quaker

How can it be worse than giving them the ability to set up a play on our end? Even if you throw the ball directly to them on the other end, they can’t run anything that collapses the defense because they have to get up the court.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-03-18 06:35 PM - Post#250477    
    In response to PennFan10

Not sure I agree about Oni dunking. Foreman was right with him. He might have had a step, but Foreman was still between him and the basket. Nonetheless, Max does need to step up there, as you don’t want Oni to get the last shot there. Make him make a pass where something could go wrong or time could run out. I just don’t think we were doomed if Max stays home.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-03-18 06:57 PM - Post#250479    
    In response to SomeGuy

That's the way we have defended every game all year. Step up vs the penetration and rotate down to make them kick. Ryan didn't cover Max's guy. Max did the right thing.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
Re: Penn v Yale
03-03-18 06:59 PM - Post#250480    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
How can it be worse than giving them the ability to set up a play on our end? Even if you throw the ball directly to them on the other end, they can’t run anything that collapses the defense because they have to get up the court.

If the choice is to give them the ball under our basket or throw the ball down the court, you have a point. That's not the choice at the start of the play. The choice is throw it short to you best FT shooter or throw it long to one of your worst. You throw it short unless there is 2 seconds or less I think.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-04-18 11:52 AM - Post#250732    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I do agree with the criticism of fouling intentionally— it makes sense for a team that hits free throws, arguably. But when we don’t, turning the end game into an extended free throw shooting contest just doesn’t play to our strengths. We’re giving them more time to chip away by stopping the clock and letting them hit a few more free throws than we did.

This, more than anything, is why you absolutely do not foul in that spot. Especially with 8 seconds left the first time.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-18 04:57 PM - Post#250809    
    In response to Quakers03

I’m still frustrated with this also. I understand the strategy and that stats back it up as a viable option. 8 seconds was too soon for this in my opinion... I’m general, Yale was shooting 24% on 3s on the night and literally one guy was responsible for all those made threes, so didn’t seem like the night to go with the fouling approach (and not to mention defending 3s is generally a strength for this team).

That said, such is life and in the end we’d still have to win 2 games at the Palestra to dance. Now we get the chance for revenge against Yale to really show we are the better team. Let’s Go Quakers!

Page 10 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.289 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:05 AM