Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: 3 Player suspension - It May Not Be Over        (Topic#21250)
bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-14-18 11:01 AM - Post#252961    
    In response to Paulie777

That cannot be for simply being late to a meeting.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-14-18 11:03 AM - Post#252963    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
That cannot be for simply being late to a meeting.

You got that right!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
03-14-18 11:15 AM - Post#252966    
    In response to Bison89

Jan of next year...this is insane. Also, It appears that I'm the last person to know so if someone could "inmail" me I would in fact be quite appreciative.

JDBison2010 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, SC
Reg: 11-23-10
03-14-18 12:08 PM - Post#252975    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
Lewisburg is a small town so I do know the offense but what I heard from a reliable source is Bruce won't be playing until Jan. of next year.

The game isn't until 7 on Friday. It's Wednesday. Put down the bottle

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-14-18 12:09 PM - Post#252976    
    In response to Old Bison

Wait what?! Where did it state he's out til then? That is absolutely absurd. I get that he "violated team rules" twice for the same offense but still, this is excessive even for a more esteemed university as Bucknell.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-14-18 12:18 PM - Post#252981    
    In response to BisonFan4

I’d say that depends on the offense! If he is truly out till January, I’d say he did something egregious. OTOH, why all the mystery? Is ND going to go game by game without putting some definition on the length of the suspension?

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-14-18 01:09 PM - Post#253002    
    In response to bison63

I have no clue what the offense is but if it is truly the same thing as Newman or Toomer, this seems egregious for a second offense. I doubt the January report is accurate. Or if it is, then there is no way it was the same offense

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-14-18 02:03 PM - Post#253021    
    In response to BUFan

When evaluating the reliability of information, it’s essential to consider the credibility of the source. Especially before you decide to wig out over it.

Meanwhile, our team—including and especially Bruce—have been able to avoid letting the suspension distract them from their mission. Depressingly, one can’t say the same of so many people here.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
03-14-18 02:05 PM - Post#253022    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

People, off the ledge. It's really none of our business.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-14-18 02:23 PM - Post#253030    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
Lewisburg is a small town so I do know the offense but what I heard from a reliable source is Bruce won't be playing until Jan. of next year.

We will see. I doubt that is accurate however.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
03-14-18 04:08 PM - Post#253072    
    In response to Bison137

My God ! Unless someone has truly reliable, verifiable info on Bruce's status and his violation particulars, enough of all this crazy speculation. This post is beginning to look like a bunch of Crossports posters have changed their names and come over to this board. We are acting like a bunch of old ladies with nothing better to do than spread vicious gossip rumors. This does NO GOOD WHATSOEVER for the team, especially if they are viewing all this. If he is out for the MS game, so be it. Let's move on and support the Bison and Coach Davis in a POSITIVE MANNER. This is a team sport (remember the saying "there is no I in the word team"). I am sure Bruce doesn't want us all to be concentrating on him, and wants us all to rally around the team. For the team, and for Bruce, let's just do that

raymondbucknell 
Junior

Reg: 02-05-07
03-14-18 07:07 PM - Post#253103    
    In response to MangyOne

Amen!

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-14-18 08:20 PM - Post#253116    
    In response to raymondbucknell

This is a perfectly fine topic of conversation for fans and I don't understand why on a fan site if people know the real infraction why it isn't being disclosed. This is NCAA sports and Moore is getting an expensive scholarship to play basketball. He's not a juvenile so with great respect, this hush hush stuff is for the birds.

md2377 
Freshman

Loc: Williamstown, MA
Reg: 02-01-16
03-14-18 09:13 PM - Post#253141    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
This is a perfectly fine topic of conversation for fans and I don't understand why on a fan site if people know the real infraction why it isn't being disclosed. This is NCAA sports and Moore is getting an expensive scholarship to play basketball. He's not a juvenile so with great respect, this hush hush stuff is for the birds.

I know I am new here, so not to overstep, but.....

Lots of young people screw up. I know I did a bit as an undergraduate at Bucknell. In the age of social media (like what we are doing here) sometimes it is better to be discrete. He screwed up. Just because he is a D1 athlete, doesn't mean his "screw up" should be for all the world to see. I am sure he is plenty embarrassed; there is no need for whatever he did to be subject of public fodder or in a google search for the rest of eternity. I am confident he is an exceptional student and an athlete with skills many of us could never dream of having. This is a harsh learning experience and it may or may not cost the team. Let's trust Coach Davis to help this young man grow.

Sorry for the rant.
A Bison surrounded by purple cows.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-14-18 10:48 PM - Post#253151    
    In response to md2377

Gotta disagree with those who think this is not a valid topic of discussion. We are on this board because we are fans of Bucknell basketball. We got a tough draw in the tournament as a team that many of us thought had Sweet 16 possibilities. Injuries may have played a role in us not being seeded as highly as we wished, and now as we prepare for a match with the best team we have played all year, a team with a plethora of bigs, we find that one of our biggest bodies is unavailable because of a “violation of team rules.” I’m not disagreeing that the coach has the right to keep quiet as to the violation, but it is certainly a more than valid point to talk about on a freakin’ message board. Be we alums, locals or whatever, we are here all year talking about the team. I’m sure many if not most of us are contributors to the University or the team and I do not think it is s violation of anybody’s rights but ours to have kept us guessing as to whether or not Bruce will play.

I do not care what the rule is, or how many times he violated it, I simply think we were entitled to know from the gitgo that he was suspended for the season. If it was, as speculated, for being late a second time then IMO missing the PL Tourney and the Dance is awfully harsh.

It is not just Moore being punished. By putting a lesser team than we could on the floor on Friday, it is the team and less importantly the fans, I think we deserved less mystery surrounding the terms of the suspension. Davis could have said Bruce is suspended for the season, he did not have to act like it was game to game, when clearly it was not.

Finally, if you have had enough of this topic you can simply skip this thread. As for me, I think something with the impact of this on the team’s chances is valid for discussion.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-14-18 11:20 PM - Post#253158    
    In response to md2377

Md2377 - No rant at all. Leave it to me to do the ranting. I think your sentiment is the correct one and you have my full agreement and support.?

That said, the situation came to light when 3 players were suspended for VoTR’s. At that time, no distinctions were made and 2 were subsequently reinstated and 1 was not. All inquiries’ to assess what had transpired at that stage wuold have been directed internally ((i.e., to BU athletics and basketball personnel) and informally the response came back that the infractions were MINOR.

Publicly, the position was espoused that Bruce’s suspension was now “game to game”, thereby reinforcing the initial responses that the infractions were minor.

Based on the sequence of events above it led supporters to assume/ get the impression that reinstatement was imminent. However, the reinstatement was not imminent, there continues to be no further concrete information forthcoming and new conjecture/information suggests that the reinstatement may now not be manifest well into the ‘19 season.

Therefore, the reality is that the punishment is NOT MINOR despite the fact that the infraction was qualified that way. Being suspended for 3 games of the PL tourney and now a Ro64 NCAA game (the dream of every kid that’s ever picked up a basketball) now raises the question of whether the punishment fits the crime.

I support the staff and Coach Davis and that this is 100% his call...as well as the fact that he’s clearly putting principles over his personal self interest.

What remains at issue though illustrates why P.R. Departments exist. During the regular season there might be 20% of the posts that exist under this thread. However, in the context of “1 and out” PL CT and NCAA Ro64 games this issue clearly gets more magnified.

After supporting the program day in, day out, traveling to games, and potentially providing some degree of financial support it is not outrageous to suggest loyalty cuts both ways and that more consideration might have been warranted with respect to addressing the externals as opposed to the internals (I.e, the transgression itself).

Lastly, it may have been more fair to Bruce to not leave this situation so opaque. I don’t know what the kid did but if your not playing him in an NCAA game then the infraction shouldn’t have been informally addressed as “minor”. It should have been addressed publicly upfront that the VoTR’s was considered serious and that the suspension was of indeterminate length, would encompass the totality of the PL CT and the entirety of any postseason and could well extend beyond the present 2018 season.

I for one think the public/supporter facing side of this has been very poorly handled and that we have a responsibility to protect Bruce despite his transgression. As it stands now, if we were to advance by way of upset you now have to address the situation on a singular basis for the fifth time!!!! Why do that to the kid? You’ve now dragged your dirty linen onto a national level. It’s not the Bucknellian and the Daily Item now. This should have been clarified and put to bed in my mind...acknowledging at the same time my mind is often wrong.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-14-18 11:44 PM - Post#253159    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:

Publicly, the position was espoused that Bruce’s suspension was now “game to game”, thereby reinforcing the initial responses that the infractions were minor.

Based on the sequence of events above it led supporters to assume/ get the impression that reinstatement was imminent. However, the reinstatement was not imminent, there continues to be no further concrete information forthcoming and new conjecture/information suggests that the reinstatement may now not be manifest well into the ‘19 season.

Two thoughts. First, was there any statement by Bucknell that his punishment was "game to game", or was this message board speculation? Secondly, I think the thoughts about the punishment extending into next season fall, at best, into the category of conjecture.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
03-15-18 09:18 AM - Post#253176    
    In response to Bison137

The only terminology I recall the coaching staff or the SID use is "indefinite." Initially, for all 3 suspensions and, subsequently, for Moore's suspension.

While the conjecture on here, for both the transgression itself and the punishment, has elevated most everyone's frustrations, we truly don't know what is going on. It's conceivable Bruce and his teammates have known his fate all along or soon after the Loyola game, and we are the only ones twisting in the wind.

I can't imagine Bruce is happy about it, but he sure seems to be handling it well, as has the rest of the team. If anything, recent weeks have shown how strong the bond is between teammates and coaches. Save for playing time in games, everything else seems to be normal within the team. This has gone on long enough that a fragmented team would start to show cracks.

Go Bison!

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-15-18 09:19 AM - Post#253177    
    In response to Bison137

Yes on the first. If I'm not mistaken I got it from the mouth of ND during the press conference after either the first or second PL tourney game. Can anyone confirm.

On the second I agree, that was exactly my wording (i.e., that there was no further concrete information and "new conjecture" suggesting...

In the interests of Bruce why should any of this be left for conjecture?

md2377 
Freshman

Loc: Williamstown, MA
Reg: 02-01-16
03-15-18 09:21 AM - Post#253178    
    In response to Bison137

And how much of the PR issue could have been prevented if Hardt hadn't left at the beginning of the year. I completely agree that this is a PR issue more than anything else.
A Bison surrounded by purple cows.

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.286 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:58 PM