Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: another reason why I hate Villanova        (Topic#21252)
barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
03-02-18 11:28 AM - Post#250126    

Besides the obvious reasons (breaking up the Big Five at the Palestra,getting players Penn can't even try to get etc)I have another reason to hate Villanova. This season, 27 out of their 31 games are on free tv (you don't have to pay extra to get) and all are on regular radio stations. This weekend's big games at Yale and Brown are not on free tv, and they are not even on a regular regular radio station.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: another reason why I hate Villanova
03-02-18 11:30 AM - Post#250127    
    In response to barryw

What's particularly ridiculous is that ALL 3 of the other Ivy games tonight are on ESPN3, but not the No.1 vs No.3 with first place on the line???

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-02-18 11:46 AM - Post#250129    
    In response to palestra38

It always amazes me that we champion the value of an Ivy degree, yet so many diehard Penn bb fans can't spring for an ILDN subscription. I know everyone has different economic realities, but $99 or whatever the annual price is should be manageable for most. And - now you can live stream the games to your big screen TVs.

You get to watch all the games, even the ones that you can't see live and have to use the game archives.

Not to mention - you have most of the other sports. I watch the fb games, wbb at times and the men and women's lacrosse games as well as the occasional random game/event in the minor sports.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-02-18 11:47 AM - Post#250130    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I thought the game was supposed to be on Eleven Sports? What a drag.

palestra38 
Professor

03-02-18 11:50 AM - Post#250131    

I will obviously get the day pass to watch it, but it is a poor alternative to ESPN. I go to every home game and many away games, so I don't really see the utility of getting this subscription. But you're right, I can afford it, just as I can afford the season tickets and playoff tickets.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-02-18 12:11 PM - Post#250135    

• AsiaSunset Said:
It always amazes me that we champion the value of an Ivy degree, yet so many diehard Penn bb fans can't spring for an ILDN subscription. I know everyone has different economic realities, but $99 or whatever the annual price is should be manageable for most. And - now you can live stream the games to your big screen TVs.

You get to watch all the games, even the ones that you can't see live and have to use the game archives.

Not to mention - you have most of the other sports. I watch the fb games, wbb at times and the men and women's lacrosse games as well as the occasional random game/event in the minor sports.

Asia - as you surmise, it is not about the $$. I think it is the principle of the thing. Many schools put the games out there for free to create some exposure which is far more valuable that what little revenue they generate. In fact, a higher audience would likely result in ad sales that negate the subscription losses. At minimum, they should bundle subs with ticket sales.

This is right up there with (nominally) trying to sell tickets for the lax games and the silly carnival side shows (complete with barker) at Palestra home games. Grace needs to rethink her marketing/promotions department that is clearly spending money on some misguided things (and not coordinating very well with Operations), although I applaud the fact that they are at least trying, which is an improvement over the previous administration.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
03-02-18 12:29 PM - Post#250141    
    In response to OldBig5

Is it not?

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-02-18 12:33 PM - Post#250142    
    In response to Streamers

According to the channel guide Penn-Yale will be shown on Eleven Sports tomorrow at 6pm, which is seemingly unhelpful. G-League basketball seemingly has bumped Penn-Yale.

All three other games are indeed on ESPN3 AND ESPN College Sports Extra, so if you pay for the sports pack in your cable package, you probably get all 8 ESPN College Sports Extra channels. Columbia-Dartmouth, Princeton-Brown and Cornell-Harvard are on channels 5, 6, and 7, respectively. Also, the women's Brown-Princeton and Yale-Penn matchups are on channels 3 and 4.

The Ivies have been dominating those ESPN College Sports Extra channels, which is cool for me, because it allows me to watch one of the two or three games I have up at a time on linear, which doesn't hog the streaming bandwidth for the other games!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-02-18 12:34 PM - Post#250143    
    In response to Charlie Fog

If you want, you can do the monthly plan and do it for the 3 months of the season only.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-02-18 12:37 PM - Post#250144    
    In response to Streamers

The ILDN again gives you access to almost all Ivy games in almost all sports. It's unrelated to what you might prefer as halftime entertainment at a Penn bb game. That's another issue and even that one is more complex than what you personally might like or not like.

Times are changing and so is the marketplace. Penn students are not fully engaged for reasons other than the halftime entertainment. I've read of just about every type of promotion Penn has tried to get them there. It's a different student population than the one I matriculated with. They have many options and other competing interests.

If people are bitching about not being able to see the games, the only point I'm making is that for minimal cost they are available. So - why stand on principle? It's a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

A couple weeks ago I thought I'd watch Penn play Maryland in lacrosse on the BTN network. I couldn't. I wasn't a subscriber.

The ILDN network has opened up a whole new avenue for Ivy fans not in a local market area and who have life styles that prevent in person attendance.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
03-02-18 12:40 PM - Post#250145    

was the penn duke lax game broadcasted?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-02-18 12:44 PM - Post#250146    

On both ILDN and ESPN3

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

another reason why I hate Villanova
03-02-18 12:46 PM - Post#250147    

On both ILDN and ESPN3 and you can watch it right now on ILDN if you missed it

Edited by AsiaSunset on 03-02-18 12:47 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-02-18 12:51 PM - Post#250148    
    In response to mrjames

Why on earth would they show Dartmouth-Princeton but not Yale-Penn?

And why neither Penn game this week--that is just absurd.

• mrjames Said:
According to the channel guide Penn-Yale will be shown on Eleven Sports tomorrow at 6pm, which is seemingly unhelpful. G-League basketball seemingly has bumped Penn-Yale.

All three other games are indeed on ESPN3 AND ESPN College Sports Extra, so if you pay for the sports pack in your cable package, you probably get all 8 ESPN College Sports Extra channels. Columbia-Dartmouth, Princeton-Brown and Cornell-Harvard are on channels 5, 6, and 7, respectively. Also, the women's Brown-Princeton and Yale-Penn matchups are on channels 3 and 4.

The Ivies have been dominating those ESPN College Sports Extra channels, which is cool for me, because it allows me to watch one of the two or three games I have up at a time on linear, which doesn't hog the streaming bandwidth for the other games!

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
03-02-18 12:54 PM - Post#250150    

Asia, I rarely disagree with you, but I think you are off on this one. I am not conflating the promotions with the ILDN other than to point out that the Athletic dept. marketing effort, of which ILDN is a part, feels very disjointed; and I have heard from insiders that it is not completely in sync with the rest of the department.

Look, I bought the one month plan (thanks Q03) to catch the key road games this month. So I get value, but, in general, they need to put exposure and access over paltry revenues. All they need to do is ask the Wharton marketing wizards about that.

One other thing, I'm not buying the 'students have other diversions' excuse. It may be true to a point, given the demographics of the modern Penn student body, but a really competitive program over several years would solve that. The question is: can that be done within the Ivy rules?

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-02-18 01:03 PM - Post#250152    
    In response to OldBig5

• OldBig5 Said:
I thought the game was supposed to be on Eleven Sports? What a drag.

It is on Eleven Sports, but is delayed until 2:30 am and again sometime Saturday. I will dvr it for posterity, but will stream it live on Ivy League Network. I bought a subscription to cover the basketball season for something like 50 bucks, which also allows me to watch all the other sports including the lacrosse upset of #1 Duke.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-02-18 01:10 PM - Post#250155    
    In response to Streamers

A really competitive program would open up many options and that is what Villanova has; however, ILDN is not a Penn product. It's a league initiative that all 8 Ivies participate in and, as a fan and ILDN subscriber, I now have access to so much more than I had before for what I consider to be a small expense (which in reality should amount to not much more than pocket change for most Penn Alums).

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-02-18 01:21 PM - Post#250157    
    In response to Penndemonium

Yeah, not being an Ivy football fan means that I can just do their 4-month, $50 plan and it covers the season.

As the amount of non-exclusive inventory grows, especially for our highest profile sports, they're going to have a decision to make about optimizing the revenue/exposure tradeoff. Harvard's finale with Columbia will be the first time it will exclusively be on ILN all season (though I don't necessarily count the NESN-plus games, in reality). If you're a Harvard fan living in New England with NESN, but no NESN-plus, you're still only getting about 5 or so games. There are likely two big subscriber types (likely more flavors as well, but these are probably the two biggest types): non-revenue sport subscribers who likely have a specific reason for doing so and general fans who likely skew toward watching the revenue sports. As more of the revenue sports go on TV/other platforms, the revenue from those fans may start to dry up, which will force a tough decision to open up the platform and try to sell ads/justify it as a marketing expense OR raise the price to force those who want to see non-revenue sports to pay for the privilege.

All in all, though, a choice is going to have to be made soon...

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
03-02-18 01:27 PM - Post#250160    

I wonder if each of the schools has the option to price its plans independently.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-02-18 03:18 PM - Post#250183    
    In response to LyleGold

Thanks Lyle. I may just stay up and watch it at 2:30.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-02-18 03:25 PM - Post#250184    
    In response to OldBig5

How is it funded in other conferences and offered for free? Just a much cheaper product? Forcing me to hook my computer up to a tv tonight is a pain in the butt.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
03-02-18 04:00 PM - Post#250200    
    In response to Quakers03

For those who are not Ivy League Digital Network subscribers, and who want to watch the Penn at Yale game, try this link.

palestra38 
Professor

03-02-18 04:09 PM - Post#250201    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I assume you click listen, not download?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-02-18 04:44 PM - Post#250206    
    In response to Streamers

My view on this has reversed just in the past year. In the past, I refused to subscribe just based on principal. ILDN performance was spotty, and it seemed incredibly frustrating to pay for something that didn't always work right. Now I see that they are broadcasting other Ivy sports and doing a more reasonable job on uptime. I'm skeptical that a free product would be managed well, so I think it is good for the community that it is a pay service at a reasonable price.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-02-18 04:57 PM - Post#250207    
    In response to Penndemonium

I only really watch men’s b-ball, and have subscribed to ILDN for years for the portion of basketball and it is absolutely, totally worth the $40 or $50 it has been. It has also given me the chance to watch football or women’s basketball that I otherwise wouldn’t have seen. This year, I also bought the cheapest Roku (~$30 on Amazon) to make it super easy to watch on TV (no computer hook up necessary) - also totally worth it.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
03-02-18 06:05 PM - Post#250216    
    In response to Quakers03

get apple tv so you can cast from any ios device

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-04-18 03:01 AM - Post#250685    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
How is it funded in other conferences and offered for free? Just a much cheaper product?

The bigger conferences do it by being a lot more popular and therefore getting a lot more advertising. The smaller conferences do it with much lower production values. My experience with watching other lower-echelon league networks is that they don't have as high-quality video as ILDN, don't have as many camera angles or slow motion, don't have as complete a scoreboard, have really bad announcers and even more incompetent camera operators, and often don't offer archived games.

• Quote:
Many schools put the games out there for free to create some exposure which is far more valuable that what little revenue they generate. In fact, a higher audience would likely result in ad sales that negate the subscription losses.

Most commercials I've seen on small conference networks are either for the colleges themselves, or else are all by the same one or two relatively small companies. This indicates to me that they're really not more attractive to advertisers.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.922 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:23 PM