Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: another reason why I hate Villanova        (Topic#21252)
Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
another reason why I hate Villanova
03-02-18 03:25 PM - Post#250184    
    In response to OldBig5

How is it funded in other conferences and offered for free? Just a much cheaper product? Forcing me to hook my computer up to a tv tonight is a pain in the butt.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: another reason why I hate Villanova
03-02-18 04:00 PM - Post#250200    
    In response to Quakers03

For those who are not Ivy League Digital Network subscribers, and who want to watch the Penn at Yale game, try this link.

palestra38 
Professor

03-02-18 04:09 PM - Post#250201    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I assume you click listen, not download?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-02-18 04:44 PM - Post#250206    
    In response to Streamers

My view on this has reversed just in the past year. In the past, I refused to subscribe just based on principal. ILDN performance was spotty, and it seemed incredibly frustrating to pay for something that didn't always work right. Now I see that they are broadcasting other Ivy sports and doing a more reasonable job on uptime. I'm skeptical that a free product would be managed well, so I think it is good for the community that it is a pay service at a reasonable price.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
another reason why I hate Villanova
03-02-18 04:57 PM - Post#250207    
    In response to Penndemonium

I only really watch men’s b-ball, and have subscribed to ILDN for years for the portion of basketball and it is absolutely, totally worth the $40 or $50 it has been. It has also given me the chance to watch football or women’s basketball that I otherwise wouldn’t have seen. This year, I also bought the cheapest Roku (~$30 on Amazon) to make it super easy to watch on TV (no computer hook up necessary) - also totally worth it.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
03-02-18 06:05 PM - Post#250216    
    In response to Quakers03

get apple tv so you can cast from any ios device

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-04-18 03:01 AM - Post#250685    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
How is it funded in other conferences and offered for free? Just a much cheaper product?

The bigger conferences do it by being a lot more popular and therefore getting a lot more advertising. The smaller conferences do it with much lower production values. My experience with watching other lower-echelon league networks is that they don't have as high-quality video as ILDN, don't have as many camera angles or slow motion, don't have as complete a scoreboard, have really bad announcers and even more incompetent camera operators, and often don't offer archived games.

• Quote:
Many schools put the games out there for free to create some exposure which is far more valuable that what little revenue they generate. In fact, a higher audience would likely result in ad sales that negate the subscription losses.

Most commercials I've seen on small conference networks are either for the colleges themselves, or else are all by the same one or two relatively small companies. This indicates to me that they're really not more attractive to advertisers.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.652 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:13 PM