Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 ALL<1234
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#21261)
Vonsid 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-12-16
Yale
03-03-18 10:22 PM - Post#250634    
    In response to Vonsid

So carrying on...

Devin seemed to be in his own head most of the ivy league season. That def didn't help us. Was great to see Will play well finally. I am honestly saying that I am glad to see Alec go. I wish we saw more Richmond than Alec this year but we will next year that is for sure.

Jerome really started to settle in and is going to be a beast. I hope everything is okay with Much. I do feel like he started to decline 5 or so games ago if not a few before that. He has so much talent though that he will be fine and our best player eventually.

Lastly, Amir Bell. What a great career even when he had to come off the bench. I really feel bad for him and the way the rest of the team didn't step up.

This will be good for us. It'll keep the coaches more honest, and the players will have a chip on their shoulder next year.

Edited by Vonsid on 03-03-18 10:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Yale
03-03-18 10:22 PM - Post#250635    
    In response to gokinsmen

Wow, what short memories you guys have. This time last year, you were singing their praises. You (and we Penn fans) underestimated the loss of Weisz and Cook. It should have been obvious there would be a step back.

I'm plenty glad to see Princeton out of the tournament, but not out of spite towards its coach or players.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-03-18 10:32 PM - Post#250639    
    In response to Vonsid

Oh please. I'm just saying what the players themselves say all the time. They lose focus. They lose confidence. They hesitate. They play scared. They give up. They go through the motions. Every basketball player talks about the effort not being there sometimes, often for an entire season.

I always repeat this story, but Brian Earl himself spurred the team to a must-win victory over Penn back in 2011 by saying, "They just aren't playing hard enough." Kareem Maddox agreed and said he didn't realize he wasn't being aggressive as usual. Sometimes you just need a kick in the pants.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-03-18 10:33 PM - Post#250640    
    In response to gokinsmen

You gotta love Penn fans sweating out OT and then coming here to gloat. "You guys never had the talent anyways!"

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Yale
03-03-18 10:37 PM - Post#250642    
    In response to LyleGold

A step back sure, but 5-9 is inexcusable. Look how Cornell got to six wins. Swept by Harvard, Penn and Yale, split with Columbia and Princeton, swept Brown and Dartmouth. Princeton was swept by Harvard and Penn, and then split with everyone else. Did not take care of business. Can't lose to Brown at home, can't lose to Dartmouth. You are what your record says you are.

I do think the key to next year is sorting out the minutes with the bigs. Gladson, Much, Desrosiers and Aririguzoh all have talent but someone will have to step forward.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-03-18 10:37 PM - Post#250643    
    In response to Vonsid

The result was not all that surprising as suggested prior to the game. Jones always has the Bulldogs play tough and hard and playing at Yale is always challenging.

Tigers will be fine over the long run. Tough year with 4 OT IL losses -- just crazy. Cornell loss turned out to be the killer with 20 pt lead with 8 minutes to go.

Mitch probably needs to make some adjustments going forward but he/Stephens and Cannady will come back with fire next year.

Ironic that Penn and Harvard could have played a one game playoff at a neutral site but they may play at the Palestra in the final of IvyMadness.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-03-18 10:39 PM - Post#250645    
    In response to gokinsmen

Anyway, I blame our head coach for not motivating our players properly. That's a huge part of their job, especially at the college level where guys need a little more guidance.

Mitch has 1 NCAA berth in 7 seasons and a stunning collapse in a year where 6-8 would have gotten us to the Ivy Tourney. Unless he can deliver next year, it's not crazy to consider other options. With the Ivy Tourney, we can risk a temporary dropoff in ways that we couldn't before.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-03-18 10:41 PM - Post#250646    
    In response to umbrellaman

I would have thought strategically, Penn would want Princeton in the tourney, as they might have a better chance to take out the Crimson, but the Big Red have actually played better against Harvard. I think I'm rooting for the Quakers - it's the devil you know - can't have Harvard simply retake the title after one year break, and let's have a non-conference champ go to the tourney by winning on it's home court, so we don't do that again.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-03-18 10:42 PM - Post#250648    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Tigers will be fine over the long run. Tough year with 4 OT IL losses -- just crazy. Cornell loss turned out to be the killer with 20 pt lead with 8 minutes to go.

And Harvard goes 3-0 in IL OT games, including the 2OT game last night.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-03-18 10:49 PM - Post#250649    

Hard to kill Coach Henderson after going 16-0 in the league - as mentioned before, would trade the huge break at the Palestra for all the stuff this year. I do think we thought we had a shot with Much and Desrosiers really coming on at the end of the non-conference schedule and injuries to Aiken and Mason. But I guess it was the defense, the physicality of the back to backs - I dunno.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Yale
03-03-18 11:14 PM - Post#250653    

Going 9-5 is excusable. Going 5-9 is not. We all saw how well this team was playing, but at the first sign of adversity (the Brown loss), they fell apart. Considering how much talent is on the roster, that reflects poorly on the coaching.

The erratic frontcourt rotations were especially concerning. Mitch never figured out what to do or whom he trusted and it looks like every big's confidence suffered for it.

palestra38 
Professor

03-03-18 11:37 PM - Post#250658    
    In response to gokinsmen

I think you guys wildly overestimated the remaining talent after losing 2 of the best players in the League and losing 2 big men who would have made a huge difference in the weak middle for the Tigers. Essentially, you had 3 guys ready to play in league play and that wasn't enough. That was foreseeable. But I agree that I am a bit unhappy that Princeton lost tonight--they would have given Harvard a tougher game than I think they will get from Cornell.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-03-18 11:40 PM - Post#250659    
    In response to palestra38

2 OTs isn't enough for you?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-03-18 11:45 PM - Post#250661    
    In response to gokinsmen

Gokinsmen is wrong to blame MH, but there was definitely some weird mental stuff going on this season, where guys just played very differently from game to game and minute to minute. In tonight's game, the man-to-man defense, except for some exceptional work by Stephens, was pathetic, allowing Yale to go wherever they wanted on the floor, nobody close to the dribbler, slow rotations. The only time they looked good was in the zone possessions, especially the 1-3-1 trap. And offensively, it did seem like there was a mental block whenever they had a chance to take the lead, or, in OT, extend it to a two-possession lead

Aririguzoh had his worst game, Gladson his best. The disappearance of Much is worrying; hope it's a health thing that can be worked out. Desrosiers looked decent. Stephens was terrific, Bell worked hard on both ends, Cannady scared the crap out of Yale with that late trey, but it wasn't enough. Too many missed layups and wide-open threes (a couple of which were unnecessarily hurried) for the team.

Definitely there was underperformance this year, and I'm sure MH would say that some of that had to be his fault. But the idea of dumping him is insane.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-04-18 12:44 AM - Post#250673    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Ironic that Penn and Harvard could have played a one game playoff at a neutral site but they may play at the Palestra in the final of IvyMadness.

As a Penn fan, I would have preferred a playoff at a neutral site over a four team tournament - even at the Palestra. By the way, the Harvard-Yale playoff there a couple years ago was one of the most intense, best played games I've ever seen. Often high stakes games turn out to be duds.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-04-18 12:45 AM - Post#250674    

Absolutely— Princeton would have had a much better shot at Harvard. The positive for the league is that we get somebody different in the tournament, which I think is a good thing. But Harvard’s path to the final is much, much easier. Cornell will have a puncher’s chance with Morgan and Gettings capable of going off, but Princeton would have had much more of a chance.

Says a lot about Yale that, with nothing to play for, they won both games this weekend.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-04-18 01:39 AM - Post#250679    
    In response to SomeGuy

A real Tiger doesn't trash his team when it is down. We all had great expectations this season -- spoiled by last year's astonishing record. I think that many of us overlooked the critical importance of the three fine members of the rotation that graduated last June. Next year will bring an experienced nucleus supplemented by one extraordinary incoming guard.

Now, let's get behind the Tiger women who clinched the outright championship tonight and who face a tough third meeting with Yale in order to face, presumably, Penn on its own court for the NCAA bid. GO TIGERS🐅

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-04-18 01:40 AM - Post#250680    
    In response to SomeGuy

Hmmmm. Harvard is playing the team that took them to 2 OT's at home (and beat by 3 up in Ithaca) and their path is easier? Ok.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-18 08:53 AM - Post#250700    
    In response to PennFan10

You may be right--we match up against Cornell better than Harvard because of our above average perimeter defense. Harvard does seem to have a weakness against teams that can fire it up. Hopefully, Cornell will do so because I think Penn would destroy them in an Ivy final at the Palestra.

But could you imagine if Cornell is the Ivy rep in the NCAAs? Is there a play in for the play in?

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
03-04-18 09:06 AM - Post#250702    
    In response to palestra38

I hear Dayton, Ohio is lovely this time of year.

Page 2 of 4 ALL<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.668 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:18 PM