Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy League Champs!        (Topic#21267)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-04-18 01:57 AM - Post#250681    

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/college s/penn-...

It seems as if much of Penn’s fan base is still in between-world thinking about how it all would have been under the old system. It’s a natural thing.

“It’s new for everybody,’’ Donahue said. “The traditionalists, I think, are confused. I’m 23 years in the league. You win this league, at 12-2, tied with anybody, that’s a hell of an accomplishment, and that’s why we hang the banner. That’s the Ivy League champ.

“We can worry about the tournament [now]. I never thought about the tournament. I wanted to win the championship, for these guys. It’s not about the legacy of the past. It’s about them having these incredible memories for themselves. It’s a round-robin, it’s as even as any league in the country. It’s back-to-back [games]. It’s a heck of an accomplishment.”

PennFan10 
Postdoc

03-04-18 02:06 AM - Post#250682    
    In response to PennFan10

https://twitter.com/pennathletics/status/ 970128437...

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
03-04-18 07:30 AM - Post#250691    
    In response to PennFan10

oh dear god, no one told me there would be empty arena cutting of nets.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-18 08:40 AM - Post#250697    
    In response to Jeff2sf

They just showed it on Action News---Steve "could not be prouder" of his guys. Presumably, they will have it up on their website, if anyone wants to see the "ceremony".

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
03-04-18 09:13 AM - Post#250703    
    In response to palestra38

Love this team! Congrats!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-04-18 11:09 AM - Post#250725    
    In response to Charlie Fog

Just a tremendous accomplishment and a great season not yet done. Thanks to the guys and coach and I can't wait until next week. Time for some revenge. I'm just mad we don't get that punk Meisner.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-04-18 05:05 PM - Post#250813    
    In response to Quakers03

Great regular season for the team and great to be able to say Ivy Champs again! Especially happy/proud of the seniors Foreman and Wood for seriously stepping up their games this year. Now let’s prove all the critics wrong and go win the Ivy Tournament. Won’t be easy, but these guys have what it takes!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-05-18 01:42 AM - Post#250860    
    In response to Mike Porter

Yeah, I know many people think it is NCAA or bust for them. While I'm sympathetic to this point of view, I actually think the regular season title is the bigger accomplishment and is more a test of the players' mettle. The Ivy League tournament involves the same test but has a much larger sprinkling of luck.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-05-18 06:57 AM - Post#250866    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
Yeah, I know many people think it is NCAA or bust for them. While I'm sympathetic to this point of view, I actually think the regular season title is the bigger accomplishment and is more a test of the players' mettle. The Ivy League tournament involves the same test but has a much larger sprinkling of luck.

Absolutely right, which is why we shouldn't have the ILT. We should be preparing for the Harvard playoff game to determine the true Ivy Champion right now.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Ivy League Champs!
03-05-18 09:41 AM - Post#250875    
    In response to LyleGold

I believe Ivy Champions in most sports are always declared for teams that tie during the regular season. The playoff in past basketball seasons was never to decide the Ivy champion - merely to decide who goes to the NCAA tourney.

So now we have what in effect is a 4 team seeded playoff rather than a two team playoff. The results in terms of making the season more relevant for more fans is undeniable. The one anomaly is holding the ILT in the Palestra which they will need to figure out. It would be easy to rotate to the gym of the number 1 seed but the fact is that the courts in the league include several which I'd describe as second rate high school gyms. So - my guess is it will eventually move to a neutral site. Everything changes slowly if at all in our league, but this will need to change and likely will.

As for those who still resist the ILT, understand you are now totally irrelevant. There is a reason the dinosaurs disappeared from the face of the earth. For those non Penn fans who question the Palestra as its home, that's pretty valid and my guess is it will need to be addressed, if not next year, then in the next couple of years.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Re: Ivy League Champs!
03-05-18 09:56 AM - Post#250878    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I’ve reluctantly reconciled myself to the ILT. But I’m tired of all the complaining about holding it at the Palestra. It’s the only option that makes any real sense and the home court advantage is mostly mythical IMHO. If other league schools want to host, let them build a facility that can handle it. If the league wants to pony up to rent an arena in Connecticut, then do it. Until then, everyone should just shut up and play.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-05-18 10:02 AM - Post#250879    

• AsiaSunset Said:
The playoff in past basketball seasons was never to decide the Ivy champion - merely to decide who goes to the NCAA tourney.

I'm not sure about "never". If that were the case, why didn't Penn hang the 1981 banner until the mid 90s? I don't remember an official line about co-champions and the playoff being only to determine the bid back then like there is now. I certainly know there were no chants of "Ivy Champs" until we won the '80 playoff and none at all in '81.

• AsiaSunset Said:

As for those who still resist the ILT, understand you are now totally irrelevant. There is a reason the dinosaurs disappeared from the face of the earth.

That's below you, Asia. You should know better.
The ILT is a fact of life and it's not going to change. Not liking something is different from resisting it. I'll be at the Palestra cheering my head off like a brontosaurus. That's not resistance.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-05-18 10:03 AM - Post#250880    
    In response to LyleGold

This dinosaur will exult with the Quakers on Sunday as they cut down the nets. I deplore the ILT, but it sure isn't going to affect my rooting.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-05-18 10:53 AM - Post#250883    
    In response to 10Q

Actually not liking it is a form of resistance and we have had posters on this site brag about boycotting it.

The ILT is an important step forward and represents one of the essential steps the league needed to take to remain somewhat relevant in D1 basketball. Clearly there were other options like taking a step backwards, as football had done. We chose not to do that, so in my mind that's a positive and I embrace all steps to move forward, not backwards.

I'm not one who thinks that the league is there yet. I realize that we have faux scholarships for a segment of the player pool with more generous fin aid packages (which helps), but they are not the same as full scholarships. Just watching as much college basketball as I tend to do, I'm not as optimistic as Mike James is about the upward trajectory of the league. I don't think it matters whether our league is ranked 12th one year or 14th the next. We are what we are and that's ok for now.

But having followed this board for so many years I've questioned the judgement of many older posters whom I would describe as the traditionalists. So many fought the idea of an ILT for years with off the wall, specious arguments. It used to drive me nuts. I remember the outrage when they put the new scoreboards in. And now - bitching and moaning about the halftime entertainment by some.

The world has changed. I think older alums like many of us need to recognize that what younger people like is not always what we like, from dining choices, to music and certainly when it comes to sports entertainment. We are not the target market for much these days. Even at Penn you can see how much the younger parents with kids at our games love that video scoreboard.

How many of our kids are more interested in fantasy football leagues than the real games. Our kids watch their phones, ipads or red zone instead of the games. That's reality and to fight it is a swim upstream against a very strong tide moving in the opposite direction.

palestra38 
Professor

03-05-18 10:58 AM - Post#250885    

I think you're overblowing the "resistance", especially to the video board. I don't recall anyone ever criticizing it---it interferes with nothing and provides information. It would be nice if they updated the opposite scoreboard, which was down virtually the entire season for individual scoring and foul information.

Look, if you can't express your opinion here, where can you express it? Everyone here will either be at or watch the Tournament. That doesn't mean in our minds that is preferable to having a one-game playoff with Harvard, which would have been mind-blowingly awesome. But other than the DJ at games (which is just loud and obnoxious), pretty much everything is good, especially the direction of the program.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-05-18 11:02 AM - Post#250887    

I am one who clings to the tradition that sets us apart and makes us special and cool. Part of that tradition is painful to accept, such as the no athletic scholarship rule and the refusal to play post-season football. If we are going to abandon tradition, let's give out athletic scholarships and go full out big time in both football and basketball. Until then, I remain grumpy when it comes to the ILT.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-05-18 11:24 AM - Post#250894    
    In response to palestra38

You don't recall correctly. There was absolute outrage on this board by many (maybe even you) when the plan to put in the new scoreboards was announced.

And the pre ILT discussions were numerous and heated and bordered on the absurd. It was going to be a financial disaster. What if a lower seed won? Oh my god! There was and remains only one argument against it and that was the fairness argument for a one bid league, but we were likely doomed to be a one league team for eternity without it (and perhaps may still be with it because of other self imposed handcuffs we are forced to wear). And now with this impending D1 scandal on the horizon, my guess is we won't see much happening for the next couple of years - except I believe fairness dictates a neutral venue for the ILT and that really should happen.

And of course- this forum should be a forum of free expression and opinion. Doesn't mean I need to be respected for all of mine or you for some of yours.

palestra38 
Professor

03-05-18 11:29 AM - Post#250897    

I never opposed the board--I can guarantee that. Only the DJ. And I have tickets to the Tournament, just expressing my opinion that the best way to get the best team to the NCAAs in a 1 bid league is the 14 game round robin.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-05-18 11:57 AM - Post#250902    

P38 has it right in the sense that this is the right place to express our opinions, including ones that can be disagreeable. I do not know of anyone who is boycotting the tournament because they don't like it on principle. Hell, I'd go even if Penn did not make it, and I'd go if Penn makes one I have to travel to.

I personally like video boards and hate the DJ's and carnival barkers, but I love throwing T-shirts. I like good lighting, chair-backs, and I also wish they would replace the windows in the Palestra that were painted over.

I have a daughter who is a Senior at Duke. She spent 6 weeks in a tent to get lots of face time on College Game Day and 2nd row center seats for the epic NC game at Cameron. She got her taste for the game coming to the Palestra with me. Duke does not have kids in donut costumes trying to make layups or bad DJs. Their seats sell on the aftermarket for thousands of dollars. Why? because they win and they have an amazing tradition. When we were in school, Duke had nothing on us, but then we went our separate ways. We could have been Duke. We could be now, although I'd rather wait until they get rid of the one-done fiasco.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Ivy League Champs!
03-05-18 01:29 PM - Post#250907    
    In response to Streamers

As has been documented every time this comes up, neutral sites depress attendance, often signficantly. This happens even in mid-major conferences where, unlike ours, people actually attend on a frequent basis.

In the Ohio Valley Conference, Murray State drew 6495 in their 8600 seat facility for a meaningless final regular season game on a Saturday.

Belmont drew a 5074 sellout for its final home game, also Saturday.

Attendance yesterday for the OVC final between those two at the University of Evansville’s 10,000 seat Ford Center: 4280.

In the Horizon League, Wright State drew 7205 for its final Saturday home game.

Northern Kentucky drew 6465.

Announced attendance for their doubleheader session against league dregs Green Bay and Cleveland State on Saturday in 20,491 capacity Little Caesar’s Arena in Detroit: 6276. Man, nothing celebrates your league more than 14,000 empty seats. Must have had a bad DJ.

But think of the joy those empties with their built in cup holders got seeing the league’s only top 100 Pomeroy team, regular season champ and #1 seed NKU, knocked out a potential NCAA bid by those pesky Pomeroy 310 CSU Vikings!

I think if the Ivies want to top that empties count they need to aim higher than the 15,000 seat XL Center in Hartford. I say it’s MSG or nothing. Forget being slightly more than a quarter-filled, we need at least 7/8ths of available seats pining for a patron.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 03-05-18 01:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
03-05-18 02:54 PM - Post#250920    
    In response to Chip Bayers

As far as I know, I am the only poster who boycotted last year’s tournament and bragged about doing so. I am proud of what I did (both the boycotting and the bragging). I am happy to be the recipient of phone calls from fans curious as to whether or not I will attend this year’s tournament.

By the way, I was opposed to Big 5 games leaving the Palestra. For a few years I boycotted Penn’s Big 5 “road games.” That boycott came to an end when Villanova and Temple were not inclined to listen to me. I also remain opposed to the designated hitter and to wild card playoff teams, but I have not boycotted Major League Baseball.

I am pleased to see that the most prominent advocate for a tournament on this board, Mike James, has rescinded his support for the tournament in its current format. The likelihood of a second bid for an Ivy men’s team remains exceedingly slim. The league is struggling between two irreconcilable goals, a “fair” tournament or an “event” where everyone gathers together in a single, special location and where the women have equal billing with the men. The latter goal requires the tournament to be at the Palestra. The former goal precludes the Palestra as a site. It requires home court advantage for the #1 seed along with the likely separate locations for the men and the women.

The league has, for now, decided in favor of a tournament, while remaining conflicted regarding the venue. Cornell, Columbia, Princeton and Brown all were permitted to play meaningful games on the final weekend of the season. Somewhere along the way the Ivy League will have its Monmouth, a deserving NCAA team that was twice left out of the “big dance” because of the post-season tournament in the MAAC. We have debated that trade-off on this board and will continue to do so.

If Mike James is correct, the tournament is leaving the Palestra next year, likely for a neutral site. That neutral site will be perfectly fair, perfectly dull and perfectly empty. Chip has recently made the same point in a skillfully crafted and entertaining post regarding empty seats.

This year, the Ivy League listened to me (and to others) and reduced the price of tickets. Saturday’s men’s doubleheader has tickets for $25, $45 and $60. Chairback seats are available for $70 from the participating schools. Those who purchase tickets for the men’s doubleheader may remain for the women’s doubleheader in the evening. I am assured that fans will be allowed to leave and return to the building during the course of the day and evening. Sunday tickets will cost $20, $40, $50 or $60 (from the participants), with the same privileges. There is a slight discount if you purchase a combination package for both days. There is also a general admission price, good for the women’s doubleheader on Saturday night or for all three women’s games.

Last season, Penn did not deserve to be in the tournament. Penn was there only because the Ivy League had promised to take four teams, and 6-8 Penn finished in 4th place. This season, Penn deserves to be in the tournament. This may be the last year, for a while, that the tournament will exist in the special atmosphere of the Palestra. And, if neither team stumbles on Saturday, we will have the Penn vs. Harvard playoff game which would have taken place under the traditional system.

I will attend the Penn men’s games in this year’s tournament. Next year, I hope you enjoy your weekend in Bridgeport.

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
03-05-18 03:45 PM - Post#250929    

AS, you wrote:

• Quote:
Clearly there were other options like taking a step backwards, as football had done. We chose not to do that, so in my mind that's a positive and I embrace all steps to move forward, not backwards.

Actually, I think the Ivy League was smart in the long run, although it could hardly anticipate that football was literally hazardous to your health, nor could it anticipate just how rapacious and unethical DI football would become. If you want Penn to hang out with anonymous mid-majors in basketball and dirty football programs turning players into future plaintiffs in class actions, be my guest.

• Quote:
I realize that we have faux scholarships for a segment of the player pool with more generous fin aid packages (which helps), but they are not the same as full scholarships.

If full scholarships mean we have to do crazy sh!t just to keep up with low-level DI leagues (hiring recruit’s parents as assistants, recruiting violations, shamelessly chasing TV revenue – oh, wait…) then I'm glad we have faux scholarships. Honestly, DI sports is such a cesspit right now I can't believe you or anybody is advocating athletic scholarships. If anything we should advocate up-front compensation. And why should Penn focus so much attention on a handful of students when the $70K pricetag is prohibitive to virtually all students -- especially first-generation college applicants? All Penn has is its reputation and credibility. Penn and the other Ivies are a cut above the rest in many ways. Lose your credibility and you can’t get it back. One sure step to losing that credibility is hangout with schools that have already lost it.

• Quote:
The world has changed. I think older alums like many of us need to recognize that what younger people like is not always what we like, from dining choices, to music and certainly when it comes to sports entertainment.

Judging by the fact that Penn has to offer students free Uber rides to travel six blocks to their dorms I'd say you're all too correct! Millennials don’t care. So why should Penn or any Ivy give a rat's butt about athletic scholarships or starting a league tournament to appease a moribund media giant?

Sorry for being such a boring old traditionalist fart, Asia, but I think your obnoxious crowing is a lot worse than a few old-timers grumbling about a tournament. I'm just happy that Penn is coached by a seemingly (for all we know) ethical, competent coach, and the team is good again. I don't care about a tournament at the Palestra or a neutral site, and I surely don't care about Penn making the NCAAs only to draw a 15th seed and have its butt kicked in the first round.

I used to care a lot more about Penn hoops, but college sports are so awful I think it’s more impressive what Penn has done this year despite no athletic scholarships.
Leges sine moribus vanae

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-05-18 04:11 PM - Post#250936    
    In response to Penn90

My position is that I can live with the ILT. I'm only griping about the fact that the league has to play ball in a system stacked against the Ivy League and smaller conferences. I generally believe that the regular season winner is the strongest team (barring injuries). Last year, the team with the best chance of winning was Princeton, regardless of whether Penn would have upset them in the tournament. For a league which seems destined to only have one NCAA bid, it deserves to have it's strongest representative to give the league a chance to win. Anything less than that means that a conference that is already unlikely to win an NCAA tournament game is even less likely. Eventually, a very poor league record in the NCAA tournament will be used to justify not giving the Ivy League automatic bids or else making a play-in bracket of smaller conference teams in order to make the NCAA tournament more TV worthy. I am a proponent of requiring that conferences that give an automatic bid their conference tournament champion give up a spot if the tournament winner wouldn't otherwise have made the tournament.

I know none of this will happen. I will choose to enjoy the tournament since it is being played.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

03-05-18 04:27 PM - Post#250946    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I don't think its a done deal that the tournament leaves the Palestra. I think Mike is right that the thinking is leaning away but it's not a definitive decision yet.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-05-18 11:53 PM - Post#251019    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:

But think of the joy those empties with their built in cup holders got seeing the league’s only top 100 Pomeroy team, regular season champ and #1 seed NKU, knocked out a potential NCAA bid by those pesky Pomeroy 310 CSU Vikings!

Another upset tonight! Only 1 game away from Dancing, play-in style.

What are some of the worst teams to ever make the tourney?

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-06-18 12:42 AM - Post#251022    
    In response to penn nation

They’re writing about us! This thread, perhaps.
“There was a time when this kind of empty-arena net-cutting behavior would’ve been scoffed at by Penn fans; indeed, many Penn fans mocked the same situation when Yale cut down the nets in an empty gym after Penn, Princeton and the Elis all tied for the title in 2002. If you’ve never seen a college basketball message board full of Ivy League-educated fans, just know that things can get pretty rough. (And if you really want to get them riled up, ask them what they think about the fact the Ivy League has a tournament at all.”
https://deadspin.com/penn-cut-down-the-net s-in-an-...
He’s probably on here, a regular?

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Ivy League Champs!
03-06-18 06:19 PM - Post#251125    
    In response to 10Q

Add me to Lyle and 10Q as a dinosaur who will, as usual, be screaming for the Quakers, both men and women, on Saturday and Sunday and remaining opposed to the ILT (though I realize that fight is lost) until the Ivy League has any sort of chance to get a second team into the NCAA tournament.

As to another comment, how did Ivy football "go backwards"? it hasn't changed its approach in the 50+ years since I entered Penn. The fact that football is the ONLY sport in which Ivy teams don't participate in a post-season tournament still baffles me.

Edited by SteveChop on 03-06-18 06:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-06-18 10:02 PM - Post#251156    
    In response to SteveChop

Like in 2014-15, the Princeton women have a high enough RPI that they should be considered for an at large bid into the tournament.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

03-06-18 11:44 PM - Post#251170    
    In response to JDP

I know that it has happened in women's IL play. My reference (which I should have made clearer) referred to the men's NCAA tournament, which is where the real money is.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-07-18 07:25 AM - Post#251172    
    In response to SteveChop

Steve - you've been around long enough to understand what I said.

1. Ivy football teams used to reign supreme in the Northeast and many Ivy teams were awarded the Lambert trophy representing supremacy in the East. You certainly remember those days.

2. the Ivies used to be in one large D1 classification that was bifurcated in the early 80's into two, now referred to as FBS and FCS. This was not of our doing and unavoidable because the league failed to meet certain FBS parameters. What is avoidable was becoming virtually irrelevant within the FCS classification we compete in which is where we unfortunately find ourselves today.

3. Now - we compete in a division populated by 124 universities/colleges. We are one of only two leagues that compete in that division not to offer scholarships.

4. A championship was created for the FCS division. We are the only league that doesn't allow our league champion to participate. Every other Ivy sport is allowed to participate in a national championship. The FCS championship is separate and apart from the FBS championship for the big money programs that have been plagued by a lot of problems that even the most ardent Ivy fans would want us to avoid..

5. All remaining sports in the league have been freed from AI banding requirements except football.

6. We refuse to allow an 11th game while almost every D1 and D2 and D3 team plays 10+. We can't even organize a preseason scrimmage because even the D2/D3 teams we used to bring in are scheduled.

Now the Ivy League has done certain good stuff. We've taken a leading position in the field of concussion prevention and diagnosis. But - we need to all recognize that this concern extends beyond football. We have soccer players, hockey players and lacrosse players incurring head trauma. They all compete in national championships. Concussions are a serious issue in most contact sports that thankfully people are paying increased attention to. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have an 11th game or sideline our league champion.

So maybe it would be more appropriate to describe Ivy football as stuck in the mud while its peer institutions take steps forward. This certainly sets us apart and makes us minor and somewhat irrelevant players in the division that we compete in. And you do know that's basically where the dinosaurs ended up - stuck in the mud (or tar pits more appropriately) and that's where many of them met their end. As older white men, we need to recognize that we will control less over time and our reign is coming to an end. The young will determine the future, even the make-up of sports entertainment. With every passing day, we become less relevant as the desired target market for almost all things except things like Cialis and Depends.

So - just consider - that what you or I prefer just might be out of step with where things are headed.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

03-07-18 03:21 PM - Post#251269    

Thanks Asia. I did not know that the football reference was to pre-Ivy League days - and, by the way, I'm not THAT old - I came to Philadelphia in 1967.

As to item#2, many of the schools that were in the old D1 are now FCS schools who DO compete in that division's national championships. So why would the Ivies choose to be irrelevant within that classification?

Your comment about the Ivies' lack of scholarships is the case in ALL sports - why are you making an issue of it here?

As to #4, I concur that the Ivies should not want to be involved in the FBS issues. Other than that, this item is merely a statement of fact.

As I have never really understood AI, I am not sure what point #5 means.

On point #6, you are obviously correct. But what is the objection to an 11th game. As it works now, the Ivy teams are often at a disadvantage in their early season games because their non-Ivy opponents have generally already played 1 or 2 games. Why does the League want to put its teams at that disadvantage? (As an aside, Ivy teams play one less BBall game during the season, the supposed "price" for creating the tournament which leaves four teams with one less game for the season.)

So while I understand your points (other than #5 as noted), not sure WHY that is the IL's position, i.e. not competing in the FCS national championship tournament. As to the dinosaur analogy, the old fogies like you and me WOULD turn out for an 11th regular season (and possible playoff) game(s) - students barely show up for FB and BB games now. It has already been discussed that the sports are PRIMARILY for the athletes to participate - why are football players denied the opportunity to compete in their (FCS) division for a national championship?

As to in-game entertainment, the blaring disco music (chosen over the band) is not getting students to pour in. When they show up, we can discuss what entertainment changes, if any, should be made.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

caughtinasnare 
Senior

Reg: 02-21-09
03-07-18 04:05 PM - Post#251272    
    In response to SteveChop

It boggles my mind that with the supposed best business school in the land on campus, we can't do some market research surveys among the student body to determine what would put more students into the seats at various sporting events...

palestra38 
Professor

03-07-18 05:30 PM - Post#251286    
    In response to caughtinasnare

Best business school for finance. Marketing?

Not so much.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-07-18 05:58 PM - Post#251288    
    In response to SteveChop

Steve

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about pre Ivy days. I'd also point out that in most Ivy sports the other schools have far fewer scholarships available than roster spots. that means in a sport like lacrosse, very few of Duke's players are full scholarship. Our generous financial aid packages are very competitive in non football, non basketball sports because of that.

As for the bigger question you posed - student non attendance - I do think the make up of the student body has changed. I agree with another poster that consistent winning would help Penn bb a lot; nevertheless, these kids are much better students than we were and have so many things at their fingertips that are entertaining that we never had. The school has tried a million different marketing promotions to get them to attend both football and basketball games. It's difficult. I remember when my sister's youngest was at Yale. He used to go to a sports bar to watch Nebraska (they live there). He was a jock who played rugby at Yale and QB in high school, but had zero interest in any Yale football game other than the Harvard game (and that was mostly about partying).

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-07-18 06:24 PM - Post#251289    

Take a look at the Penn website and what they've organized for the ILT. They are trying:

Come by The Palestra Friday for Penn's Open Practices!
Men's Basketball
March 07, 2018
PHILADELPHIA - On Friday, March 9, The Palestra will be open for fans to watch each team's open practice prior to this weekend's Ivy League Tournament! Fans are encouraged to attend the free sessions and get an early peek at each team as they prepare for Saturday's semifinal games.

Penn fans can catch both the men's and women's teams during this day. Take an early lunch break and catch the men's team from 11:10-11:50 a.m., and maybe take an afternoon respite from your desk to catch the women's team from 3:10-3:50 p.m. The entire schedule for the day is below.

Tickets are still available for Saturday's semifinal games, as well as the championship games on Sunday, all at The Palestra. Click here to get your tickets and see two teams—one men's, one women's—punch their tickets to the 2018 NCAA Tournaments!

For those who cannot attend Friday's festivities, the Ivy League Network (ILN) will have full coverage, free of charge, from Philadelphia. "Live From The Palestra" will feature a look into each team's open practice, a conversation with each participating head coach and select student-athletes, as well as special guests and full previews for both tournaments.

Penn's own Joe Tordy will host the show from the floor of the Palestra. He'll be joined by former Princeton forward Noah Savage to preview the men's semifinals, while former Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia personality Dei Lynam will take a look at the women's semifinals. They will break down key storylines of each team, season recaps, and feature content.

Open Practice Schedule at The Palestra (Friday, March 9)
9:10-9:50 a.m. – Harvard men
10:10-10:50 a.m. – Cornell men
11:10-11:50 a.m. – Penn men
12:10-12:50 p.m. – Yale men
1:10-1:50 p.m. – Princeton women
2:10-2:50 p.m. – Yale women
3:10-3:50 p.m. – Penn women
4:10-4:50 p.m. – Harvard women

Print Friendly Version

Related
2017-18 MBB All-Ivy (l to r): Foreman, Brodeur, Donahue, Betley
Donahue Named Ivy Coach of the Year; Three Earn All-Ivy
IVY CHAMPS! Men's Hoops Clinches Share with 99-93 Win at Brown
Men's Basketball Edged at Buzzer by Yale, 80-79
Men's Basketball Aims For Ivy Title on Tough Yale-Brown Road Trip
QMH: A Quaker Weekend, But The Best Ever? Well...

caughtinasnare 
Senior

03-07-18 07:07 PM - Post#251295    

I was a freshman when we last won the league in 2007, and my seat was in the 200s about even with the baseline and even with the top of the archway going to the concourse. All of the seats in front of me and to the side of me were full, and there were a few rows behind me that were full as well.

After that season, there was a precipitous drop-off in student attendance, but it started from the beginning as far as I can remember, though it was 10 years ago. I don't know the actual reason why that is the case, but that's what I remember. By my senior year, I remember a game where I actually counted the number of chants and I personally had to start about 1/3 of them. I can't imagine the student body turning over that dramatically in such a short time from "people who will get excited for Ivy Basketball" to "people who don't even care that Ivy Basketball exists". It might be winning vs. losing, but a return to relevance hasn't changed things and again, if I remember correctly, the drop off started before the losing could really be palpable.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-07-18 07:14 PM - Post#251299    
    In response to caughtinasnare

• caughtinasnare Said:
It might be winning vs. losing, but a return to relevance hasn't changed things and again, if I remember correctly, the drop off started before the losing could really be palpable.

Well, they did get 6500 fans for the final home game against Harvard. I'm guessing it has been a very long time since they've had that kind of a crowd for a regular season Ivy game.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-07-18 07:50 PM - Post#251307    

It takes time to rebuild a fan base in any sport. Baseball teams that have spent years in the wilderness tend not to see attendance pops until the year AFTER the first winning season and playoff run, for example.

palestra38 
Professor

03-07-18 08:20 PM - Post#251313    

A lot of discounted groups for that game and very few students (they were on break, though).

caughtinasnare 
Senior

03-07-18 10:03 PM - Post#251327    

Between the Palestra Honor Band (over 100 kids, plus a good number of family members for them), plus the Volunteer Appreciation event, it's not exactly a "regular" game. There was minimal student representation outside the band, though the timing of Spring Break certainly didn't help matters.

That said, I was there and it was fantastic. Still didn't hold a candle to the atmosphere in 2007, though.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:57 PM