Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Celebrate, Celebrate!!        (Topic#21270)
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
03-04-18 09:33 AM - Post#250707    

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I intend to open a split of the bubbly tonight in celebration of easily the most unexpected (and pleasurable) Championship of the program’s history. Sure I’d be even happier if Darnell hadn’t lost control of that ball on Friday evening, or if these good, hardworking men could make free throws. But the long drought is over! Who would ‘a thought that the team that lost to Fairfield in its opener would go 12-2 in the Ivies, contending all the way. Who would ‘a thought that a coach known for his offensive ideas could produce a nationally-ranked defense. Let’s remember, that for Ivy teams, the big dance is gravy on the meatloaf, not the ground beef. This program has made the clear jump from incompetence to competence and has the clear potential to take at least one more step up. Last year at times, even this year early, I wondered how long it would take to get there – three, four more years? Well, the program IS THERE NOW and clearly has the talent to contend for at least two more years as long as AJ and Ryan stay healthy. They should be better. Wow!

I hope they make us even happier next weekend. I hope that, maybe two of the new arrivals next year turn out. I hope that Devon and Simmons realize their potential. That would be very nice. Doesn’t do a thing to diminish my pleasure over the last four months.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Celebrate, Celebrate!!
03-04-18 10:23 AM - Post#250713    
    In response to UPIA1968

I don't believe that the performance was that unexpected, but indeed it is a very pleasant overall result.

However, the most unexpected championship (and it was a full championship) was Begley's senior season, where he and a bunch of sophs defeated Princeton's Judson Wallace/Will Venable seniors in '04-'05. NO ONE expected that title.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-18 10:36 AM - Post#250716    
    In response to palestra38

No bubbles for me till next Sunday.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Celebrate, Celebrate!!
03-04-18 11:00 AM - Post#250723    
    In response to palestra38

Interesting comparison and debate. This season didn’t have a clear favorite, by any means, so that makes it easier to see stepping into the void. However, for most of us (not you of course), expecting a 6-8 team to double it’s win total and take the league seemed too far. It’s not just climbing over HYP, but also that Penn barely differentiated itself from BCCD in conference last year. So in a sense if penn could do it, almost anyone could. One would have to view at as at least a 4 team conversation to get to Penn winning, and maybe more.

Contrast that to Begley’s senior year. Princeton was a big favorite coming in, but Penn was the one team with a chance — it was obvious who the top two teams were. Well, until Princeton fell on its face.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.135 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:19 AM