Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Just how good has this season been for the men and the women        (Topic#21275)
JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-04-18 08:00 PM - Post#250834    

The first season in the 48 years of the combined men's and women's team that both the men's and women's teams reached the 20 win mark

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Just how good has this season been for the men and the women
03-04-18 08:28 PM - Post#250838    
    In response to JDP

To be fair to the women, there was only a single season before 2000 ('82-'83) where they played more than 26 games all year.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-04-18 09:17 PM - Post#250839    
    In response to penn nation

Very fair point - I meant to add a comment about that ... 70-76 the most combined games played in a season were 48, 77-97 it was fairly consistent at 53. 98-17 the average has been 57.

Not counting this year - in the past quarter century one team has achieved at least 20 wins 16 times - men 11 & women 5. never together.

The women's team has five consecutive 20 win seasons ... last accomplished by the men 1970-71 to 1974-75 (118 wins)

Wow ... it's also been 25 years since the championship break through by Jerome & Co and a certain volunteer assistant ... that blizzard and snow pile en route to Syracuse was legendary ... so was the six hours of silence in that car ride home ...

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Just how good has this season been for the men and the women
03-04-18 10:07 PM - Post#250844    
    In response to JDP

• JDP Said:

Wow ... it's also been 25 years since the championship break through by Jerome & Co and a certain volunteer assistant ... that blizzard and snow pile en route to Syracuse was legendary ... so was the six hours of silence in that car ride home ...

I made that round trip drive to Syracuse in a 5 speed VW Scirocco with Palestra38 and a couple other fans aboard. As the only one who knew how to drive a stick, I had to do all the driving. We had about a foot of snow on the ground here, but there were 3-4 feet in Syracuse. The mountains of plowed snow were so high you (I, really) couldn't see around the corner when making turns.

I don't remember it being a particularly quiet or depressing ride home. We gave national contenders UMass all they could handle and had a couple of chances to steal the game. Maloney threw up one of his post season stinkers (4-18 or something like that). It wouldn't be his only one, as it turns out. Despite that, our core was made up of sophomores and a junior who would continue the undefeated streak for two more years.

The next year P38 drove to Nassau Coliseum for the victory over Big8 Champs Nebraska, but his car died on the way back to Philly. Despite all the attention given to the Allen-Maloney backcourt, Barry Pierce showed that he was the guts of that team. We returned for the second round two days later where we scared Final Four bound Florida until the final minutes. Again, an ice cold Maloney was more than we could overcome.

Those 14-0 Ivy teams, along with the following year's squad that went to overtime with Alabama in Baltimore thanks to Jerome's 30 point effort, were legitimate league champs whose banners now grace the Palestra. Let's hope this year's team can take care of business next weekend and add another legitimate banner.

penn nation 
Professor

03-04-18 10:25 PM - Post#250845    
    In response to LyleGold

IIRC, Maloney did play a key role in the second half comeback against Alabama.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-04-18 10:34 PM - Post#250846    
    In response to penn nation

I mostly remember Jerome furiously dragging us back on his own when we looked dead. McDyess killed us, but our backcourt was much better than theirs. Maloney had a bunch of points, too, but missed a ton of shots.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
03-04-18 10:40 PM - Post#250847    
    In response to LyleGold

So I was also at the Nassau Coliseum when Penn was simply better than Nebraska, and in Baltimore for the Antonio MyDyess show.

OK, none of that is surprising given the self-selection of participating here.

But I would have bet real money against ever meeting someone else who also drove a VW Scirocco in 1993. Let's just say that was not the best car I ever drove.

And on another historical note, I was at the Mullins Center at UMass a year or two later when Penn was ranked, and Marcus Camby and Lou Roe absolutely destroyed us. I remember we were hoping UMass made their foul shots so they wouldn't get yet another offensive rebound/dunk off a missed shot.

penn nation 
Professor

03-04-18 10:45 PM - Post#250849    
    In response to LyleGold

Jerome almost singlehandedly pulled out a miracle comeback in OT.

I think McDyess became a 1st round choice after that game. He was the difference.

penn nation 
Professor

03-04-18 10:47 PM - Post#250850    
    In response to QHoops

• QHoops Said:

And on another historical note, I was at the Mullins Center at UMass a year or two later when Penn was ranked, and Marcus Camby and Lou Roe absolutely destroyed us. I remember we were hoping UMass made their foul shots so they wouldn't get yet another offensive rebound/dunk off a missed shot.

I was so psyched for that game. It was on Saturday night and on ESPN, so I could actually watch it for a change (I was living in Boston at the time, in grad school).

That was about as thorough of a beatdown as I've ever seen watching Penn (wasn't around to watch the Howard Porter tourney game).

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-04-18 10:48 PM - Post#250851    
    In response to QHoops

It was especially poor in the snow. Fortunately P38 provided plenty of ballast, which improved my traction. I forget what he drove the following year, but it was obviously worse than my Scirocco.

I remember that nationally televised game at Amherst. It was embarrassing and discouraging. We more than made up for it at Michigan with Dick Vitale going crazy. ("These Quakers are no cupcake city, baby!") I think Jerome was the most surprised person in Crisler Arena when that crazy sideways leaner went in.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
03-05-18 12:01 AM - Post#250858    
    In response to LyleGold

"It was especially poor in the snow. '

Yes. Over-powered, and really sub-standard in everything else.

Regarding the later UMass game - I don't think I still had the Scirocco when I went to the later UMass game, but if it slipped off the highway and flipped going home it would not have been the worst thing that happened to me that day.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-05-18 12:30 AM - Post#250859    
    In response to QHoops

That's true - it was a very zippy car because it had an 8 valve, 4 cylinder engine. I liked that about it, especially as a manual transmission, but there were so many little mechanical things that kept going wrong with it. It reached the point where it would have cost more than the car was worth to get it through state inspection, so I gave it away to charity and took the tax write off.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-05-18 09:47 AM - Post#250877    
    In response to LyleGold

Oh, the memories this discussion brings back. I began the 90s driving a really poor example of a US made VW Rabbit, all the while lusting after a 1st gen Scirocco from the early 80s with fuel injection, the 5 speed and the cool single wiper blade. I finally got my hands on one. It was a lot of things, but overpowered (although this was the most powerful version sold globally) wasn’t really one of them. Mine was fine in the snow as long as you had good snow tires up front. It was pretty reliable mechanically, but the electrics and the A/C were enough of a frustration that I sold it in favor of the new and really amazing for its day Acura Integra. Second gen Sciroccos were really crap as VW couldn’t figure out how to handle US emissions/safety regs. Eventually, the US got the really good VW Corrado that I was all set to buy when the arrival of our first daughter made 4 doors a priority. Those Corrados have become collector cars now and good ones fetch a nice price.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-05-18 10:09 AM - Post#250881    
    In response to Streamers

Mine was an'87, so that must have been a 2nd generation. I kept having to replace the oxygen sensor among other things, so that must have been part of the struggles with US emissions regulations. I also nailed a massive pothole on a rainy night on Delaware Ave. and the low suspension bottomed out. That was the beginning of the end.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
03-05-18 12:11 PM - Post#250904    
    In response to LyleGold

What were you up to on a rainy night on Delaware Avenue? Inquiring minds want to know.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-05-18 01:58 PM - Post#250912    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

Nothing nefarious. I live in South Philly and came off of I-95 at Washington Ave. That stretch of Delaware Ave. 20 years ago was like Baghdad outside the Green Zone.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Re: re Acura Integra
03-05-18 11:16 PM - Post#251015    
    In response to Streamers

I had a white one, stick. Great car! But I didn't drive it in the winter to see Penn play. I was in Florida in those days.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-06-18 12:16 AM - Post#251021    
    In response to UPIA1968

I still watch the Michigan win on a VCR every once in a while. Up 24-5 early, that Jerome leaner brought me weeks of middle school cred. We still argue whether it was "lucky."

No locations like Baltimore or NY this year. Best we could hope for if lucky enough to make it is Pitt or Charlotte. The Flyers play in Carolina on Saturday...

palestra38 
Professor

03-06-18 09:02 AM - Post#251030    
    In response to Quakers03

That's in Raleigh

LyleGold 
PhD Student

03-06-18 09:58 AM - Post#251034    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
That's in Raleigh

Wow, last time I was in Raleigh was March 1979. We beat #1 seed North Carolina on Black Sunday on the way to the Final Four. That road passed through Greensborough the following weekend. The corrupt NCAA paved the road for a Duke-UNC Eastern Regional Final on Tobacco Road. Instead, they got Penn-St. John's in an empty arena.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.339 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:18 AM