Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Patriot League Championship: Colgate at Bucknell        (Topic#21284)
Raymond Bucknell 
Sophomore
Raymond Bucknell
Reg: 11-14-11
03-08-18 01:00 AM - Post#251350    
    In response to MrPhillie

He's got Moose in his ear (Wally was his idol).

A Western Bison 
Sophomore

Loc: Albuquerque
Reg: 07-05-12
03-08-18 03:16 AM - Post#251352    
    In response to MrPhillie

I had to cut out to a meeting at the start of the second half. I was very pleased to turn on my XM radio to hear the Bison on ESPNU radio. By the time I got to my destination, I felt like I didn't have to keep checking my phone for the score. But I did anyway.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-08-18 09:55 AM - Post#251359    
    In response to A Western Bison

https://twitter.com/bisonrdwarrior/status /97174249...

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
03-08-18 10:21 AM - Post#251361    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Congrats to all involved. A special group of seniors who have IMO distinguished themselves as Bucknell's best class ever.

And, while I've been a staunch defender of this group during the year when others voiced frustrations, I don't buy John Griffin's statement that this team is better than 2005-06. This group is deeper (I don't know if 05-06 could have withstood the injuries this team did) and is more talented offensively. But, what that 05-06 team did from start to finish was extremely special. Ranked in the AP poll midseason; a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament; and ranked in the coaches' poll at the end of the season.

That said, isn't great to be able to even have the conversation? And, hell, during the off-season, I'd even throw the 1980 team out for debate.

So proud of this program, its players and its coaching staff and what they stand for. Congrats again to all.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-08-18 10:36 AM - Post#251363    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Well said Doc!

bison63 
Postdoc

03-08-18 10:43 AM - Post#251365    
    In response to bison63

Just finished rewatching the first half. That was a chippy game. And frankly we we the aggressors more often than not. Batt was on the receiving end of a lot of punishment from Sestina, plus he had a front row view of Nana’s elbow to Raymond which did not get called. Given that his grab of Brown came as the Bison were emphatically sealing the deal, i’d Guess he just snapped out of frustration.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
Patriot League Championship: Colgate at Bucknell
03-08-18 11:00 AM - Post#251367    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Batt was on the receiving end of a lot of punishment from Sestina, plus he had a front row view of Nana’s elbow to Raymond which did not get called. Given that his grab of Brown came as the Bison were emphatically sealing the deal, i’d Guess he just snapped out of frustration.

I also noticed Kimbal purposely bumping into Batt twice when the teams were walking to their benches during timeouts. Sestina was also yelling something at him while they were running up the court after one of Sestina's baskets(I'm surprised Nate didn't get a T for that honestly)

But I think you're right tho, he had probably just had enough of everything and just lost his cool.

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-08-18 11:46 AM - Post#251372    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

The bumping into by Kimball & the taunting by Sestina after his dunk was a result of the dirty play from the start by Batt. He was throwing cheap shot elbows & bumps every chance he got.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
Re: Patriot League Championship: Colgate at Bucknell
03-08-18 11:57 AM - Post#251374    

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
  • bison63 Said:
Batt was on the receiving end of a lot of punishment from Sestina, plus he had a front row view of Nana’s elbow to Raymond which did not get called. Given that his grab of Brown came as the Bison were emphatically sealing the deal, i’d Guess he just snapped out of frustration.

I also noticed Kimbal purposely bumping into Batt twice when the teams were walking to their benches during timeouts. Sestina was also yelling something at him while they were running up the court after one of Sestina's baskets(I'm surprised Nate didn't get a T for that honestly)

But I think you're right tho, he had probably just had enough of everything and just lost his cool.

There is no excuse for his behavior no matter how much our guys may have annoyed him - intentionally or not. There was plenty of physical play on both side, and I'm sure some trash talk. His clothes lining Stephen could have ended very badly. Were it not the end of the season, a more severe punishment might be in order.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
Re: Patriot League Championship: Colgate at Bucknell
03-08-18 12:07 PM - Post#251376    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
  • Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
  • bison63 Said:

There is no excuse for his behavior

Agree 100%

Batt liked a couple videos on twitter of his flagrant 2 on Brown so that says a lot about his character.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
03-08-18 12:23 PM - Post#251379    

It's always dangerous to extrapolate based on a single game, but something tells me that by the end of next season we're all going to be in love with Sestina -- and the rest of the league is going to absolutely hate him.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-08-18 12:27 PM - Post#251380    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:

I like how David Jones described it:

"Embarrassed and chafed, the Raiders (19-13) got chippy near the end. Starting center Dana Batt inexplicably clotheslined Brown after a whistle, was called for a Flagrant 2 and tossed from the game. Brown wasn't hurt but was smart not to react; three of his teammates converged and invaded Batt's personal space as he backed away before officials restored order."

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/b...

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

03-08-18 12:42 PM - Post#251382    
    In response to res

• res Said:
It's always dangerous to extrapolate based on a single game, but something tells me that by the end of next season we're all going to be in love with Sestina -- and the rest of the league is going to absolutely hate him.

One of my takes from the evening was that we are in for a completely different personality next year. This year's seniors aren't very animated. Sestina was overly demonstrative last night, and when Sotos went out of the game for the last time, he showed a personality I hadn't seen before. Add to that Bruce and Avi, and i think it could be a fun group ... which may serve the entire team as it attempts to create its own identity.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-08-18 01:21 PM - Post#251387    
    In response to BisonFan4

• BisonFan4 Said:
The bumping into by Kimball & the taunting by Sestina after his dunk was a result of the dirty play from the start by Batt. He was throwing cheap shot elbows & bumps every chance he got.

Yes, he threw several elbows away from the ball in the first half. And I'm sur I didn't see all of them.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-08-18 01:43 PM - Post#251388    
    In response to DoCtoR62

My post earlier was not a defense of Batt, so much as a comment on our physical aggressiveness, of which I am totally supportive. This team knew that CU had been trouble this year and they came out ready to play, determined to win. Both teams were emotional and stuff happens. They call it “March madness” for a reason.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

03-08-18 01:45 PM - Post#251389    
    In response to bison63

Matt Langel's quotes from CU website:

"I'm proud of my guys. I'm proud of our season, of our fight and our ability to get here. Obviously, we kind of ran into a buzz saw tonight. That's the team Bucknell could be all year long, and whether those guys knew to save their best for last and build up to it, I have no idea. They were fantastic. They were very well prepared and their players played great.

"I've got to tip my cap to the champions. They are regular season and tournament champions for a reason."

"If you look at any team in the country in any conference, if you take three first-team all-league players and they're from one team, that's going to be a really difficult team to stop. Stephen Brown has been playing like the league MVP. He's got the ball in his hands, he's making really good decisions, he's making jump shots and he's finding his teammates. They have the player of the year, and not only three first-team all-leagues but they've got two players of the year on the same team.

"They space the floor and they know how to play with one another. They're a really good all-around basketball team."

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-08-18 02:09 PM - Post#251391    
    In response to DoCtoR62

I’m all for being excited and having fun...it absolutely belongs in a game. I also am all for focus and preparedness, something Bucknell had an abundance of last nite. To me, the best teams strike a good balance. Sestina obviously is animated and doesn’t mind showing it. He’s a little over the top at times for me but hey, he’s allowed. He had a monster game last nite and has had other very good performances this year. He’s also had some very nondescript games and games where he picked up many quick fouls. Before granting him stardom and all-League status, he needs to find consistency. Hopefully next year that will be the case, as the team will need his best every game.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-08-18 02:45 PM - Post#251400    
    In response to res

One of the main differences between the 2004/05 teams and this one was that McNaughton and friends had some beef to battle against the physical and athletic bigs out of conference teams seem to always have. Depending on the draw, wonder if Davis would consider giving Nate a larger role in NCAA's. He certainly earned it last night.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-08-18 03:33 PM - Post#251422    
    In response to HoleinOne

Sestina had a great game. That is undeniable. He seems to have problems avoiding fouls. If he can stay out of foul trouble like last night, he has the potential to really shine and add a physical element that the Bison haven't had since Darren Mastropoalo graduated.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-09-18 02:08 AM - Post#251480    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
. Given that his grab of Brown came as the Bison were emphatically sealing the deal, i’d Guess he just snapped out of frustration.

Just watched that part of the game. In the minute prior to his flagrant foul and ejection, Batt (a) had the ball stolen by Foulland; (b) stood there and watched while Foulland dribbled the length of the court to dunk; and then (c) had his shot emphatically blocked by Sestina. This was on top on him struggling to guard Nana or Nate and also producing nothing at the offensive end. Yes, you could definitely say he snapped out of frustration.

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.166 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:36 AM