Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dez ROY - Anderson nada??        (Topic#21286)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-06-18 06:00 PM - Post#251120    

Way to go Dez.

I'm sorry but it feels like a miss to not give Anderson even HM. He had such a fantastic season. He slowed down in Ivy play towards the end of the season (I think he may have been playing with a wrist injury?), but he was still 7th in Ivy scoring, 3rd in assists, 9th in steals, 9th in A/TO. His shooting fell off, but it still seemed like he made more big baskets for this tea than anyone did. He is a great-looking point guard and deserves more recognition than this. He was very fun to watch - makes really tough shots, there is nobody quicker with the basketball in the league.

Fantastic season for Dez. A genuine college basketball talent with a ton of upside in his game. He gave us such thrilling moments this year and is so much fun to watch.

Bright future from these two.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-06-18 08:56 PM - Post#251139    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, you are right about Anderson. If there had been a runner-up for ROY it had to be Choh.

PVD.35 
Freshman

Reg: 01-04-18
03-07-18 10:01 AM - Post#251179    
    In response to Old Bear

Agreed about BA... He's a tremendous talent and if Smith from Columbia is on second team, Brandon deserves it just as much.

I do wonder if coaches/voters wondered if he may have coasted or not impacted the game for stretches this year? He seemed to let his struggles on offense affect getting back on D and/or staying impactful even through the valleys he experienced at times on offense. I guess I just thought he kind of lost his way a little bit at times this year.. IMO..

Bruno 
PhD Student

Dez ROY - Anderson nada??
03-07-18 05:00 PM - Post#251281    
    In response to PVD.35

He took on so much for this team early on as they were recovering from the loss of last year’s big three. His usage rate was incredibly high. He made plays that were unbelievable at times. Big buckets - including a number of big threes - all season long. And he probably had too many games where he struggled shooting the ball and finishing in the paint. I think he may have gotten points taken off for doing so much of his damage at the line, and he definitely got fewer calls on the Ivy stretch than he was getting earlier in the season. Listen, his shooting needs to get better. And yes, he can overdribble leading to some surprising turnovers. But if he develops the three point shot, and strengthens how he puts the ball on the floor, he’s First Team next year. He’ll only get better. But I thought he had a great season.

jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
03-08-18 10:41 AM - Post#251364    
    In response to Bruno

My opinion means jacksh*t, but I do feel the post season accolades were appropriate.

Anderson, in his defense, probably had too much on his plate this season - due to Hunsaker being unable to handle pressure and Kalema being hurt - but taking a real look beyond his first layer metrics (PPG, APG, SPG, etc) its pretty bad. Offensively: <30% from deep but still attempting over 4 per game....<40% from the field but still attempting over 13 shots...less than 1.5:1 assist to turnover. Defensively: to say he left much to be desired on this end would be an understatement. Never fought through screens on or off the ball with any consistency - which put tremendous pressure on our rotations. Not active on help side - body always upright and in relaxed position, etc. He alone is absolutely not the sole reason we were sub par defensively - a lot of guys have some answering to do on that end. He probably needs 15 lbs of real muscle to reach his potential. If he comes back next season the same size I'd expect more of the same.

On a more positive note I don't think it is a stretch to say we have two of the highest ceiling freshman in the league with Cambridge and Choh. Once Cambridge becomes more disciplined he will be a truly disruptive defender and a real threat to go for 40 pretty much any night. Choh started to really get it towards the end of the year. He is relentless on both ends and competes no matter what the score is. He is already a plus defender - and IMO he has the shooting mechanics to stretch his game out to 12-15 feet next year. I believe they can turn into a Matt Morgan/Stone Gettings type of combination.

While the league has a lot of young talent I am pretty bullish on this group getting to the Ivy tournament in the next year or two. It is really hard to break through but I am very optimistic.

Edited by jst4245 on 03-08-18 10:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Dez ROY - Anderson nada??
03-08-18 02:34 PM - Post#251395    
    In response to jst4245

You’re right about some of the weaknesses. Shooting was his issue and he overdribbled at times. His offensive rating was lower than you’d expect for someone who averaged 17. But I don’t think you’re giving him enough credit either. He had the ball so much because he had to have it. He was the one guy you could trust with the ball amidst a lot of pressure and he was keyed on for long stretches of the season. His was the hardest spot on the floor for this team. He did great, and only a soph.

I think stronger sounds right, but not heavier. I want to keep him the quickest guard in the league. He uses that to advantage. That doesn’t happen with another 15 lbs. if anything you want him to be able to get off his jumper a little quicker and with a higher release. So for me that’s strength and hop. And maybe just continuing to become a better athlete.

His improvement between fresh and soph was big. Let’s see what he does this summer.

Choh is a bona fide monster. Monster.

If i had a twang of disappointment this season player-wise (as opposed to performance-wise, where i have plenty of disappointments), it was Hunsaker. I got anchored on Juco All-American. He never seemed to fully adapt to the speed of this level. Step slow on D. Didn’t handle ball pressure all that well. His low release on his jumper - which is more chest-push than a release with lift - didn’t translate. And for someone with such a pretty and fundamental shot, he missed more open threes than I would have hoped. I expected his age and experience to translate a little better.

But I also recognize he’s a very team first guy and sacrificed some of his offensive creativity to allow the other guys to score it. It’s clear he could have shot and created more for himself. But as the starting off-guard, he probably needs to be sharper and a little more aggressive on offense. He will benefit from working on a higher and quicker release on his shot, and on facing ball pressure. And on becoming a better athlete.

Despite all that, I found his game very crafty and somehow was always lore comfrtoable when he was out on the court. Dude is good at basketball.

Think about if Choh, Cambridge, Anderson and Hunsaker all get better. Then they are a legit Ivy tournament player.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-18 03:23 PM - Post#251417    
    In response to Bruno

I suspect that Anderson suffered in All-Ivy voting from the voters bias toward upperclassmen and to players on teams at the the top of the standings.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-08-18 06:11 PM - Post#251449    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
I suspect that Anderson suffered in All-Ivy voting from the voters bias toward upperclassmen and to players on teams at the the top of the standings.

Not sure the upperclassmen was a factor as there is exactly 4 juniors and 1 senior among 12 spots on the All Ivy teams.

Edited by PennFan10 on 03-08-18 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:05 AM