Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 8 of 9 « First<6789
Username Post: NCAA Seeding - Bracketology        (Topic#21294)
mcapodee 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-29-06
NCAA Seeding - Bracketology
03-12-18 09:41 AM - Post#252289    
    In response to bison63

I don't think there is a conspiracy. Marshall beat MTSU on the last day of the regular season and WKU in the ConfUSA tourney. I can see that in the eyes of the committee that enough to give them the last 13 over us despite us having a slightly higher RPI.

Edited by mcapodee on 03-12-18 09:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
Re: NCAA Seeding - Bracketology
03-12-18 10:35 AM - Post#252320    
    In response to mcapodee

Our friend David Jones at Pennlive ranked his top 8 chances for double-seed upsets in the first round. He lists Bucknell at #6. His take on the Bison follows. The complete article is at http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/m...

6. Bucknell Bison (14) vs. Michigan State (3)
You know all about Bucknell's giant-killer heritage in the NCAA tournament from its upsets of Kansas in 2005 and Arkansas in 2006. But the Bison have also played a couple of much higher seeds very tough in recent NCAA losses to Butler in 2013 and West Virginia last year. This is a program that believes it belongs with the big boys and has proven it not just in the NCAAs but in the NIT (a win at Arizona in 2012) and in the regular season (a win at Vanderbilt last season).
More germane to this tournament, the Bison played a brutal non-conference schedule in November and December slated by head coach Nate Davis and will not be intimidated. The Bison were highly competitive at North Carolina (93-81 loss) and at Maryland (80-78 loss), so there won't be any competition shock. Further, they have three experienced seniors in forward Zach Thomas, (the NCAA leader in free throws and free throw attempts), center Nana Foulland and super-quick point man Stephen Brown. In particular, Brown can play with anybody.
The 14-seed Bison could have drawn Texas Tech or Tennessee as a 3-seed opponent. But instead they got Michigan State, a team that everyone keeps predicting to go off but has not all year. On the surface, this looks like a bad draw in that Bucknell fans must fear an athletic mismatch not to mention a game in Sparty's backyard (Friday in Detroit).
I'm not so sure. MSU has underachieved all season. Other than a B1G semifinal loss to Michigan, the Spartans have played nothing but canned hams (Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota) all the way back to Feb. 10. They could very easily be rusty and not ready and star Miles Bridges is probably already casting one eye toward the NBA Draft. Bison are worth at least a low-cost play.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-12-18 11:19 AM - Post#252335    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Tom Izzo interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBJ5ZOb3Ms

md2377 
Freshman

Loc: Williamstown, MA
Reg: 02-01-16
03-12-18 11:24 AM - Post#252338    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Long time reader, first time poster....

This may not the appropriate place to post but I spent a few minutes reading the Michigan State message board. The vulgarity and unnecessary critiques of our cheerleaders is classless.

Thanks for running a positive board that is upbeat and respectful.

This is will be a tough game but I wouldn't count our boys out. If the threes fall, we can be there at the end.
A Bison surrounded by purple cows.

BisonKid 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-26-06
03-12-18 11:31 AM - Post#252343    
    In response to md2377

Looking to make the trip to Detroit to cheer on the Bison. Any suggestions on tickets? The Bucknell ticket site requires a pre-sale code which I don't have. thanks

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-12-18 12:00 PM - Post#252360    
    In response to md2377

• md2377 Said:

This may not the appropriate place to post but I spent a few minutes reading the Michigan State message board. The vulgarity and unnecessary critiques of our cheerleaders is classless.

This is will be a tough game but I wouldn't count our boys out. If the threes fall, we can be there at the end.

Md, good post. You stay classy _____. (Name that movie.)
New season, new team, new dream . . .

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
03-12-18 12:11 PM - Post#252370    
    In response to BisonKid

I, like everyone else, am not pleased with our seeding and opponent, but it is what it is. It is time for the Bison to prove we belong in the NCAA tournament, and win or lose, I know we will do the university and its alumni proud. If things go well, I do think we have a chance and in any case, I know we will be competitive.

That being said, deep down inside, after reading the half-a**ed posts on the Michigan State forums, victory over them would be sooooooooo sweet. I am so sick of these arrogant MS fans who think that we should be in awe of them. I certainly am not! I am proud of not only our team, but our fans, both of whom show what true class is. We don't need to mock cheerleaders and drop the f-bomb at every turn, like many on the MS board do. Gloat all you want MS fans, but at least our team members are true scholar athletes, with a future ahead of them. Most of your members are lucky to be able to spell their own names. This game is truly a match-up of what is right and wrong with college sports, and I know which side Bucknell comes out on.

GO BISON !! - Make us proud !!

BreakinBison 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-23-06
03-12-18 12:33 PM - Post#252380    
    In response to MangyOne

Open Practice Thursday

Haven't found the Bucknell time yet but MSU is at 3:25pm on Thursday per below (from 247sports)

Before No. 3-seed Michigan State takes on No. 14-seed Bucknell, MSU fans will get a chance to see inside their team's preparation.

The Spartans will have an open practice beginning at 3:25 p.m. ET Thursday at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Fans can attend the open practice, which runs until 4:05 p.m. ET, for free.

As the top No. 3 seed in the NCAA Touranment, Michigan State drew nearby Detroit as its destination for its opening-round games in the Midwest Regional. With that, the Spartans should have a major fan presence Friday night against Bucknell (7:10 p.m., CBS) and for Thursday's open practice.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-12-18 12:40 PM - Post#252381    
    In response to BreakinBison

Our cheerleaders are future CEO’s...and their parents think they are beautiful.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
NCAA Seeding - Bracketology
03-12-18 12:51 PM - Post#252389    
    In response to HuskyColonial

We are a low major conference champion with 9 losses. I think our seed is appropriate. The match up is unfortunate but maybe it’s more unfortunate for MSU?

We are a good senior lead club that is battle tested with what people have described as three “HM” level starters. I also believe this group plays to the level of its competition. Remember how well Nana handled himself against WVU’s bigs? This group responds to the challenge.

I like our chances.

Edited by HuskyColonial on 03-12-18 12:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

md2377 
Freshman

03-12-18 01:50 PM - Post#252424    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • md2377 Said:

Md, good post. You stay classy _____. (Name that movie.)

Anchorman of course...and the place they wanted to be playing this weekend!

GreatLakesState 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-06-10
03-12-18 03:32 PM - Post#252482    
    In response to md2377

• md2377 Said:

Which is "the" MSU message board? The one with actual basketball fans (Rivals) is talking about how your point guard is better than most in the Big Ten, and your backup big could help many Big Ten teams. If you're reading a free message board, you're looking at the lowest common denominator.

BreakinBison 
Sophomore

03-12-18 03:45 PM - Post#252490    
    In response to GreatLakesState

Thursday Open Practice Schedule

11- 11:40am – Cal-State Fullerton
11:45 – 12:25pm – Butler
12:30 – 1:10pm – Purdue
1:15 – 1:55pm – Arkansas
3:25 – 4:05pm – Michigan State
4:10 – 4:50pm – TCU
4:55 – 5:35pm – Bucknell
5:40 – 6:20pm – ASU/Syracuse

md2377 
Freshman

03-12-18 03:45 PM - Post#252491    
    In response to GreatLakesState

• GreatLakesState Said:
  • md2377 Said:

Which is "the" MSU message board? The one with actual basketball fans (Rivals) is talking about how your point guard is better than most in the Big Ten, and your backup big could help many Big Ten teams. If you're reading a free message board, you're looking at the lowest common denominator.

It was the 247Sports Board - which I am sure is free. They promote themselves as the biggest and most active.

Certainly, the comments of a few people shouldn't be reflective of the 99% of great supporters.

It just happened to be what came up first in a Google search when I was checking out what the MSU fans were saying.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-12-18 04:52 PM - Post#252519    
    In response to bison63

Looking at game logs, seems like Jackson gets himself into foul trouble a ton. Hopefully Thomas and Foulland can get him to pick up a pair of quick ones.

Spartan2000 
Freshman

Reg: 03-12-18
03-13-18 03:04 PM - Post#252784    
    In response to jkrun80

• Quote:
How did MSU end up a 3 seed ?

We ended up a 3 seed for several reasons:

1) The Big Ten is down from a depth standpoint this year, which hurt our strength of schedule. The teams at the top are very good, but we only played Purdue and Ohio State once/each (beating Purdue and losing to OSU on the road). We played Michigan twice and lost both matchups.

2) Our non-conference slate appeared to be solid at the beginning of the year but didn't turn out that way. We smoked UConn who ended up being terrible, we beat ND by 18 when they were fully healthy (but then they were riddled by injuries the rest of the year). We did beat UNC by 18 and also lost to Duke by 7, but other than that there's not much to write home about on the non-conference slate (which is very rare for an Izzo team).

3) We are young (playing primarily freshmen and sophomores) and the team has trouble putting 2 halves together. This has resulted in several close games where we've had to make a comeback (see 27 point comeback at Northwestern) or have struggled to put teams away when we have the chance. Too many close games against the likes of Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. We tend to play up or down to our opponents for the most part.

Spartan2000 
Freshman

03-13-18 03:06 PM - Post#252789    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
Looking at game logs, seems like Jackson gets himself into foul trouble a ton. Hopefully Thomas and Foulland can get him to pick up a pair of quick ones.

Very good observation. This has been an issue all year. Jaren Jackson is a beast on both ends of the floor but has had issues getting cheap fouls, which limits his time on the floor.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-13-18 03:16 PM - Post#252798    
    In response to Spartan2000

Sound like anyone we know?

Spartan2000 
Freshman

03-13-18 03:27 PM - Post#252805    
    In response to md2377

• md2377 Said:

The Red Cedar Message Board is a cesspool consisting primarily of old men trying to one-up each other with vulgar comments and/or inside jokes to the board. If you want serious MSU basketball talk, head over to the Final Fourum on the MSU Rivals site. Don't take anything on the Red Cedar Message Board too seriously...

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-13-18 03:28 PM - Post#252806    
    In response to bison63

Sestina? Lol, as if anyone needs to ask. I really think the play of Kimball and Sestina will be the x factor in this game

Page 8 of 9 « First<6789
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.536 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:11 AM