Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 ALL<1234
Username Post: Women        (Topic#21311)
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-12-18 03:11 PM - Post#252471    
    In response to whitakk

• whitakk Said:
Her son also ambled back to her and threw a championship T-shirt into her face during the postgame ESPNU interview.

Awww...

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Women
03-12-18 04:27 PM - Post#252509    
    In response to penn nation

I have passed on your thoughts to Mitch to let him know not that he should not feel so bad about the Tigers blowing a 22 point lead at Cornell during the last half of the second half when his team lost their focus.

Rather than dribbling out the clock in the fourth quarter and avoiding turnovers, Courtney should have instructed the team to pass the ball to the Quakers or keep their hands down on defense.

But really, it sounds like you are really struggling with the yesterday's loss. Box of Kleenex may help.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-12-18 04:41 PM - Post#252514    
    In response to bradley

Tell Mitch/Courtney s/he might want to rest his/her starters for the upcoming tourney (oh well, I guess only Courtney then) with 5, 4, 3, or 2 minutes to play and a 25-28 point lead.

I didn't even include:

Penn time out at 2:54
Princeton turnover at 2:23

Still no substitutions.

Not even Mitch Henderson could blow those leads (although I'm sure he'd try his darndest).

Edited by penn nation on 03-12-18 04:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
Women
03-12-18 04:46 PM - Post#252516    
    In response to Go Green

Two impressive performances from a very good team.

From the first game of the season, they seemed to be the team to beat. A surprising hiccup against Yale, which happened to Penn last year, and a bad 20 minutes against Harvard were the only problems they had through the Ivy schedule. Even with the tournament at the Palestra, it was hard to think they would not win in a convincing manner.

As a Penn person, I had no problem with anything Coach Banghart said or did this weekend. She is smart, confident and really good at her profession. She assembles solid teams, coaches them well and protects them at all times. Watching her press conferences, she gives complex well thought out comments, even if they are not what people are expecting or want to hear.

Towards the end of yesterday's post-game press conference, it was noted that several of her players kneel during the national anthem and she was asked about this. She mentioned that she and the university support the players' rights to peacefully protest, but she wanted them to discuss the issue. It was important for her to have her student-athletes work things through because she felt smart people are supposed to talk about things that are hard. With a diverse roster of students, including the niece of the former President, these were probably not easy discussions.

I went back and watched that clip and to the best of my ability am posting the last part of her comment, "I'm really proud that they felt like they've thought things through and I feel it's important as an educated woman to have an opinion that is well thought out. And so, I supported them and I think they know that I really supported them."

If I were a parent of one of her players, I would be confident that she was going to bring out the best of my child's abilities while helping her to become a strong and successful person. In the end, who wouldn't want someone like that in charge of their school's program.

Edited by rbg on 03-12-18 04:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 04:53 PM - Post#252520    
    In response to sparman

27 point lead:

2:11 Beth Brzozowski missed Three Point Jumper. 34 - 61
2:11 Bella Alarie Defensive Rebound. 34 - 61
1:58 Leslie Robinson missed Three Point Jumper. 34 - 61

That sure as heck does not look like using the full shot clock to me. It does, however, look like one of your best players still in the game at the 2 minute mark launching a 3, up 27.

Nice job, Princeton. Nice job.

• sparman Said:
  • penn nation Said:
If you're up by, what, 30 points in the final quarter, and your opponents aren't getting anything done (and weren't for most of the game), enough already. That coach has no class. Sorry to say it, but true.

Of all people, Penn fans should know that a big lead doesn't guarantee anything. 27 point comeback. I imagine she was trying to keep her team focused because the next game will require full effort. Plus as others have pointed out, PU only scored 8 points in the final Q and was taking the full 40 seconds off each possession. Sounds like easing up to me.

• Go Green Said:
She was carrying a two-year old boy during the post-game handshakes. Was that her kid? If she started a family in the past few years, I missed it.

And if anyone would be spending time monitoring her personal life ......

bradley 
PhD Student

03-12-18 05:17 PM - Post#252531    
    In response to rbg

You said it all. If my daughter was capable of playing Division I basketball, I would send her to Coach Banghart whether at Princeton or somewhere else as character development is as important as developing basketball skills.

Coach Donahue and the vast majority of IL coaches appear to be of high character and understand their unique role as an IL coach.

People who call others classless, may want to take a good hard look in the mirror based on what comes out of their mouth -- pretty sad.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 05:47 PM - Post#252547    
    In response to bradley

I could not disagree more strongly.

I have experienced these kinds of coaches on the opposition when my kids are playing Little League, Rec League or even on middle school and high school teams.

There are just some coaches that will just never stop having their team steal bases. Doesn't matter what the score, what inning, what is going on in the larger picture of the game. They are barking at their players throughout and never letting up.

I will NEVER ever have one of my kids playing in any sports for such a coach, no matter what level of competition they are playing.

This is not the first time I've seen this Princeton coach engage in such behavior. She is the last coach I would ever want my daughter to be playing for.

Having one of your best players still in the game with under 2 minutes to go, shot clock nowhere near exhausted, up 27 and launching a three?

Get out of town.

Edited by penn nation on 03-12-18 05:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jadwinjungle 
Freshman

Reg: 10-02-17
03-12-18 05:47 PM - Post#252548    

Perhaps it is possible that Coach Banghart wanted to give her starters the ability to be on the court in the league championship game. I also notice that Penn's Michelle Nwokedi missed a jumper at 1:27 in the 4th. Really seems like poor form to keep your starters in that late when you are losing by so much, and even worse to have them shoot a jump shot! The horror!

Also funny to read Penn fans complaining about the team and coach's celebration afterwards. To me, it would seem that if you don't want the other team to have the audacity to celebrate on your court, either win the game, or don't host the tournament on your court.

Edited by jadwinjungle on 03-12-18 05:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 05:51 PM - Post#252550    
    In response to jadwinjungle

You haven't me heard about complaining about any celebration. Princeton is fully entitled to a well-deserved celebration for clearly being the top Ivy team.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 05:52 PM - Post#252551    
    In response to jadwinjungle

Yes, the horror that she had the nerve to put up a shot with a full 5 seconds left on the 30 second shot clock.

Really.

• jadwinjungle Said:
PI also notice that Penn's Michelle Nwokedi missed a jumper at 1:27 in the 4th. Really seems like poor form to keep your starters in that late when you are losing by so much, and even worse to have them shoot a jump shot! The horror!

jadwinjungle 
Freshman

Reg: 10-02-17
03-12-18 06:03 PM - Post#252556    

Perhaps my sarcasm didn't come across, but I really don't care who shot when at any point in this game. I think if you polled the Penn women's team, it would have been more insulting for Princeton to have passed up clearly open shots and to play keep away for 30 seconds. I'm not sure why you dislike Coach Banghart so much, but this is really a non issue

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
03-12-18 06:05 PM - Post#252557    

• penn nation Said:
27 point lead:
1:58 Leslie Robinson missed Three Point Jumper. 34 - 61

That sure as heck does not look like using the full shot clock to me. It does, however, look like one of your best players still in the game at the 2 minute mark launching a 3, up 27.

For what it's worth, Leslie Robinson has not made a three pointer all season. Rather than trying to run up the score, I think the team just thought it would be nice for her to have one in her senior year.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
03-12-18 06:09 PM - Post#252559    

PN, give it a rest. We get it. You hate Courtney Banghart. The reason is obvious. A) She coaches Princeton and B) She's been extremely successful building a program and culture that is unprecedented in the Ivy League. Your comments are becoming beyond comical and they reek of Princeton envy and jealousy. If she were your coach with the same success, you'd be crowing non stop about how she's the best thing to happen to basketball since James Naismith and defending every critical thing any one said.

On the second thought, never mind. Continue with your hatred. I need a couple of good chuckles every week.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 06:16 PM - Post#252560    
    In response to SecS3

Maybe in the very distant future Banghardt can start to, perhaps, dream of getting close to what McLaughlin has done at Penn, utterly transforming what had been a mostly moribund program for its entire history.

Until then, she can take a few lessons from him on how to conduct a winning program with class. He has had plenty of experience in this department, both at Penn and elsewhere.

Edited by penn nation on 03-12-18 06:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-12-18 06:17 PM - Post#252561    

Nwokedi is Penn's leading scorer and has also played the most minutes of any Penn player. If she's still in the game with less than two minutes to go then what's the complaint about Princeton still having starters in the game? From about the 5 minute mark in the 4th quarter a Princeton guard would just dribble for 10-15 seconds on most possessions a few feet into the frontcourt before even starting the offense. If a team is trying to run up the score that isn't what they'd be doing.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 06:22 PM - Post#252566    
    In response to Bryan

Why should Penn bring in its subs to face these Princeton starters when even its starters can't do a thing?

bradley 
PhD Student

03-12-18 07:01 PM - Post#252569    
    In response to SecS3

I finally figured it out. penn nation wanted Banghart to take out the starters probably at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Banghart would then have her bench players dribble endlessly while the Penn starters were trying to steal the ball. So instead of the Princeton starters not trying to score, the bench players would try to perform this role and maybe the score would be less than a blow out. I am not sure if penn nation is advocating that the bench players are allowed to shuffle their feet on defense or put their arms up.

We should send Coach Banghart a note although she will probably be distracted by preparing for game #1 in the tournament which confirms that she has no class.

I think that it might be time to try to stop responding to these "unusual" comments and get ready to watch the Tiger women play maybe Maryland???

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-12-18 07:15 PM - Post#252572    
    In response to bradley

Complaints about running up the score are absurd in basketball.

penn nation 
Professor

03-12-18 07:48 PM - Post#252576    
    In response to SRP

Because..... you say so?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-12-18 08:02 PM - Post#252578    

Penn Nation: congratulations to your fine Men's Championship team.
Now that you've vented ad nauseum about Coach Banghart and our women, please run along back to your board. I, for one, am tired of your nonsense.

Page 2 of 4 ALL<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.212 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:44 AM