Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 7 of 8 « First<5678
Username Post: Michigan State game        (Topic#21345)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-17-18 09:48 AM - Post#253588    
    In response to GreatLakesState

https://twitter.com/marchmadnesstv/status /97482061...

Izzo’s absurd postgame comment for those who missed it

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-17-18 10:19 AM - Post#253592    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Would love to see Bison recruit another Nana but this was an example of the physical difference between a Patriot League Big Man and a Top 20 Big Man. With a seeming lull in recruiting, wonder if Davis will change strategy and start looking for bigger bodies. While I also thought it was strange for Sestina not to play more, happy the game was as close as it was. Have to be realistic.

BisonKid 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-26-06
03-17-18 11:44 AM - Post#253603    

Our guys played a Big 10 basketball machine that many experts are picking to win the Tournament. That being said, I'm frustrated because I think we could have won the game if the team executed as it has all year. Specifically, as others have said, Nana did not play up to his typical high level but lets give him credit for battling against some big guys. I think the big man pressure and maybe nerves impacted his game. To help Nana, I think Nathan should have played Nate along with Nana- very much like we saw in the Colgate game. That would relieve some heat on Nana and introduce another low post threat. Michigan State also did a great job of pressuring both Stephen and Kimble so they were pretty ineffective most of the game.

As a friend who hasn't watched the team this year said to me, Zach Thomas is a beast. His fade away shots in the paint showed the range of his skills and I bet will put him on the draft list of some NBA scouts. Sorry to see him go on the technical but what a great effort and game by him. Very proud to be Bison today.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-17-18 12:34 PM - Post#253610    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
https://twitter.com/marchmadnesstv/status /97482061...

Izzo’s absurd postgame comment for those who missed it

Really? That is what triggered all of the “Izzo is an genius” comments. I thought that he must have said something bad in his postgame presser, which so far I have not been able to watch. I interpreted these remarks as a criticism of the officials for not controlling the game.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
Michigan State game
03-17-18 01:05 PM - Post#253612    
    In response to BisonKid

I look at the game several ways. For the first 25 minutes we hung tough, weren’t intimidated and for the most part played pretty well. Not all was great but all in all we battled a great team that was playing very well. Huge stretches of the second half were abysmal. Not to pick on Nana, but he simply didn’t have it. Yes he was battling bigger, stronger and more talented bigs, but when he was presented opportunities to be successful he simply wasn’t. He rushed shots, had difficulty holding onto the ball...he lacked confidence. My opinion was that it was apparent the formula of gong indside to Nana was not going to end positively on this night. Yet that continued to be the game plan much of the evening. Sestina offered more value offensively (defensively, neither Nana nor Nate were going to really stop MSU inside) yet he played 18 minutes to Nana’s 32. Given how the game was developing along with the fact that Davis says repeatedly that Sestina is a POY type of player, well it just made sense to me to try something different.

Outside of the last two minutes, Stephen was having a mediocre game at best. Even he seemed rattled at times, even though I thought he was the best PG on the floor. Kimbal was largely nonexistent, even though he had some assists. And that ridiculous interaction he had of trying to punch the ball out of an MSU player’s hands during a dead ball not once but twice was a low class move. Someone asked why Avi didn’t play more. For one, he was a foul machine and two, he wasn’t playing that well. Maybe he has offensive skills, but he largely is a liability on that end of the floor. That has to change next season. I know Bucknell’s depth had been highly touted all year, but there is a reason Davis truly relies on his top 6-7 players so much.

We were up against a very, very good team that was shooting very well. Just a hard mountain to climb. Our team should be proud of having a great season and valiantly played a superior team. We needed everything to go our way and that obviously didn’t happen. Nevertheless, it was a fun season and I look forward to cheering this team on next season and beyond.

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-17-18 01:14 PM - Post#253614    
    In response to MrPhillie

Well said MrPhillie

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
Michigan State game
03-17-18 02:42 PM - Post#253621    
    In response to BisonFan4

Last night's game made it clear there are a number of 2, 3, & 4 seeds (not to mention UVA) we could have beaten or hung with. We just got a tough draw. I'm not the only one who thinks so.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/9 748191429...

Edited by jkrun80 on 03-17-18 02:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
Re: Michigan State game
03-17-18 04:29 PM - Post#253629    
    In response to jkrun80

For a team that many questioned its fight for much of the season, I think they showed over the last few games just how much they wanted it.

It's a shame the first two months of the season played out as they did. What a run over the last month-and-a-half.

As for last night's game, Izzo and his staff were not going to be beaten by the 3-point line. Every time we ran a set to get a three, it was anticipated and well covered. They were willing to let the ball get to Foulland in the post b/c they knew they could handle him. We got beat by a very good, well-coached team.

For one final time, a shout out to the three seniors. No group has ever represented an institution and its ideals better than Stephen, Zach and Nana. They will be missed.

raymondbucknell 
Junior

Reg: 02-05-07
03-17-18 05:31 PM - Post#253642    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Nana missed some shots he normally makes, but let’s be fair - a team with size and strength like MSU pushes our team outside its comfort zone to some extent. He took some shots from further outside the basket than he normally would and there were numerous blocks and altered shots on various players that we would not see in the PL. Zach was very effective with his fadeaway precisely for that reason.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

03-17-18 08:37 PM - Post#253655    
    In response to crd012

While saying this a bit sarcastically, somewhat happy at the refs horrid performance. Patriot League ref performance has been terrible for years with no one that has the power to make changes paying attention. Hopefully in a game on national TV someone will look at this amateur effort and do something. Bison and most mid-majors get hosed by the quality of officiating most games.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-18-18 12:32 AM - Post#253660    
    In response to HoleinOne

Hopefully everybody has figured out that the best outcome for Bucknell in this tournament is for the Spartans to win it all, and not only that but to win the next 5 games convincingly. I know we have a lot of ‘nova fans here, and they are my bracket pick as well, but think of the possibility of being able to say that our Bison played the champs tighter than anybody else. Go Spartans!

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-18-18 08:32 AM - Post#253671    
    In response to bison63

I think Sparty crushes Cuse today, but Coach K owns Izzo and the run stops there. Duke and Nova both look like teams on a mission right now.

It is really unfortunate that the 4 best teams left IMO are on the same side of the bracket (with 3 of them in the same region). I'd take Nova, Kansas, Duke, and MSU over anyone on the other half. At this point, I like Kentucky's chances to make the final.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-18-18 09:01 AM - Post#253672    
    In response to bison63

Similar to when we played UConn in the first round and Kemba Walker et al went on to win it all...except MSU is expected to to win by many. UConn got on a magical run.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-18-18 09:45 AM - Post#253678    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Similar to when we played UConn in the first round and Kemba Walker et al went on to win it all...except MSU is expected to to win by many. UConn got on a magical run.

Not really quite the same, IMO. UConn blew us out. Yes, we could say we lost to the eventual champs, but we did not “compete” with them. 82-78 says we were competitive with MSU.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-18-18 10:46 AM - Post#253686    

• GreatLakesState Said:
  • HuskyColonial Said:
Nana laid an egg. He couldn’t handle the ball on multiple occasions. Parse it any way you want. Nana is a great player and accomplished Bison but this was a terrible game for him.

The officiating was atrocious.

He was a spastic goofball when I saw him as an underclassman, and saw zero improvement.

Usually you contribute on this board when you post, but that is an incredibly inaccurate foolish statement. How about when he dominated West Virginia in the tournament last year? Or when he scored 21 vs UNC (9-14 FG's)? Or when he had 17 at Arkansas (7-12 FG's)this year at Arkansas? Etc.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-18-18 10:52 AM - Post#253687    
    In response to Bison137

Don't know if this got posted. The ref who T'd up Zach and thus ejected him from the game is a regular Big Ten ref. In fact, that is the ONLY major conference in which he reffed any games for at least the last three years. Reffed 28 Big Ten league games this season, plus 16 more Big Ten OOC games. If he ever lost his Big Ten spot, he would be reffing nothing but games in midmajor conferences Think he wants to curry favor with Izzo?

The NCAA should do a more careful job assigning refs. Someone whose entire career is tied to Michigan State's league shouldn't be doing one of their early games.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
03-18-18 10:59 AM - Post#253689    
    In response to Bison137

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/03/17/tom ...

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
03-18-18 11:03 AM - Post#253690    
    In response to KenZ

137 very well said! I feel there should be neutral crews used in these games. And unfortunately in this game it may have made a difference. We will never know but there was a possibility.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-18-18 01:08 PM - Post#253697    
    In response to KenZ

Thanks, Kenz, for that article. Very interesting and I’m sure was already known or suspected by anyone with common sense and a sense of fairness. For me there are a few issues with officiating one being what the article voiced, that officials will always bend to the side of big time coaches in order to keep their big paydays. The other, that many officials are simply terrible at their job.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

03-18-18 01:09 PM - Post#253698    
    In response to KenZ

Ken-interesting post. As I have posted in past, a good friend of mine is one of the top SEC refs and he confirms many of the thoughts of this writer.

Page 7 of 8 « First<5678
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.892 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:43 PM