Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 9 of 12 « First<9101112
Username Post: Kansas        (Topic#21348)
bobbything 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 03-13-18
Kansas
03-14-18 03:07 PM - Post#253056    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
OK, then we got experience playing against Graham's skill set, just not many who do it anywhere near his level

Svi's the guy who could give us more trouble.

KU has three guards that shoot really well from the outside. Svi is more prone to going cold (though not lately). He's relatively tall for a guard, so he can/will shoot over people if given a look. He will take it inside if someone gets up in his face. His handles aren't awful but whenever he puts the ball on the floor, the entire state of Kansas' sphincters pucker a little. Though, he is surprisingly good at finishing around the rim. Newman isn't afraid to go inside either. He was the best player at the B12 tourney by a long shot. He, seemingly, can do it all at the moment.

I watch the whole Ivy championship game and, from what I could tell, I'd anticipate Self going inside early (whether or not Azabuke plays). De Sousa, early on, looked like a deer in the headlights. Then something clicked and he's crashing the offensive boards hard, getting into great position, and playing decent on defense. I'd think that with a relative height/length (De Sousa isn't terribly tall, but he is loooooong) advantage, we'd test that first. Your guards are good. They handle the ball well and crash the perimeter well. So, I'd think their priority #1 would be to not allow Graham/Svi/Newman win from the outside (or, at least, limit the damage). You'll probably see them try and take their man off the dribble, but we aren't a dribble-drive kind of team, really.

Self will move the ball around on every possession. The ball rarely sticks. So, you'll see a ton of passing and lots and lots of ball reversals to try and get an open shot from the outside or an angle down low. If that fails, within that possession, you'll see some one-on-one type stuff.

My fear is that our big guys get into foul trouble early (something Azabuke is insanely prone to). If that happens, you'll see more jumpers and, if they aren't falling, it could be our downfall. That's assuming all three guards are off. And with your perimeter defense, I think it's a legitimate possibility that one of them goes cold. Vick has been in an insane slump since January but he is capable as well as he's a very good athlete. But something is off with him.

On the defensive end, we aren't terrible, but we aren't terrific. We do a good job at limiting first-shot buckets, but we are absolutely abysmal at defensive rebounding. If you want a blueprint on how to beat this team, look no further than the two Okie State losses. Get tons of second chance points, hit 50% from three. The team that does that is the team that is going to beat us.

We will need to limit your opportunities from the perimeter. You guys seemingly don't have any problem hucking from three, so we cannot allow long offensive rebounds. I think, mainly because of our size, we'll be okay inside, but you guys look like you run lots of pick/rolls, which could get us into foul trouble and/or open up the perimeter. However, we do a really nice job of hedging and fighting through screens. Honestly, I think we need to keep your guards from going off from three.

Edited by bobbything on 03-14-18 03:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Kansas
03-14-18 03:11 PM - Post#253057    
    In response to bobbything

Our offense is lots of motion/passing. Heavy on 3's and getting to the rim - though most aren't great on converting from there.

Defense mostly man with lots of switching and is based on defending the arc and rim, though better at the former than the latter. We don't play many bigs with the size and ability as yours. De Sousa and Lightfoot will be challenges even if Dok isn't playing.

TheLine 
Professor

Kansas
03-14-18 03:42 PM - Post#253059    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

HDG, you're wrong.

Penn's roster consists of players that don't make Amaker's 3rd or 4th recruiting sheet. And you're saying we won because a couple of the guys on Amaker's 1st and 2nd page couldn't play? Amaker still had a roster full of guys that he'd prefer over every one of our players. He's the recruiting genius after all.

And Yale - who we blew out of the water - could beat us too?

Note to recruits - choose Penn.

Edited by TheLine on 03-14-18 03:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Kansas
03-14-18 03:44 PM - Post#253060    
    In response to TrillaTrilla

You're new here, aren't you?

You'll learn.

• TrillaTrilla Said:
  • TheLine Said:
  • penn nation Said:
Penn: Trump

Kansas: Brownback

I despise Brownback, but you guys still win this one in a romp

Wow, totally forgot Brownback.

Makes me feel sorry for Kansas.

lets keep it on topic here brah

TheLine 
Professor

03-14-18 03:45 PM - Post#253061    
    In response to penn nation

I'm ok keeping on topic.

Only have a day of this. No need to get distracted.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-14-18 03:51 PM - Post#253062    
    In response to TheLine

I gave credit for Donahue for doing a lot with what he has. Absolutely.

What I was saying is that Penn's ascendance was accelerated due to fate of opponents. If Yale has Bruner and Mason. This is all moot as Yale wins everything.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-18 03:52 PM - Post#253063    
    In response to TheLine

I didn't see HDG saying anything wrong. It's true that Donahue's first act was to tell Hicks that if he wanted to stay, he had to buy into the program. That sent a message to the entire team and started the rebuild immediately. And the rebuild clearly moved ahead due to the injuries suffered by Yale and Harvard---sure we had injuries to our freshmen, but none to core players. But we still won it fair and square--injuries happen.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-14-18 03:52 PM - Post#253064    

And if queen had acorns, she'd be the king.

penn nation 
Professor

03-14-18 03:54 PM - Post#253065    
    In response to TheLine

Betley has been our most consistent threat from 3 ever since, well, he joined the program. He can also score a variety of other ways.

Wood has emerged this year as probably the top 6th man in the Ivy League, in part because of his 3 point shooting. His defense has improved, and while your speed will test him at least he should hold his own size-wise.

Woods, if left alone, can be a solid 3 point shooter but normally we don't like seeing him put up those shots if contested.

Shootingwise, Foreman has been the surprise of the team for the latter half of the season. For most of his career, he has not been a good shooter, period. But he has found his mojo as a scorer, both in the paint as well as from distance.

On our bench--Jackson Donahue is a streaky shooter although he has not seen nearly as much action this year as in previous ones. Sam Jones was at one time a starter--his best tool by far is his 3 point shooting. But the rest of his game leaves much to be desired.

TheLine 
Professor

03-14-18 03:56 PM - Post#253066    
    In response to 10Q

Y'all lost with your blue chippers. We won with our misfits. We get Kansas on Thursday.

Nothing else matters because winners don't need excuses.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-14-18 04:02 PM - Post#253068    
    In response to TheLine

Whatever you want to believe.

Good Luck Thursday.

See you next year.

palestra38 
Professor

03-14-18 04:04 PM - Post#253069    

Thanks--you too.

Understand, the blood is up.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
03-14-18 04:09 PM - Post#253073    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Whatever you want to believe.

Good Luck Thursday.

See you next year.

Good luck tonight vs. Marquette. I'll be watching up until the Pens v Rangers game...

10Q 
Professor

03-14-18 04:12 PM - Post#253074    
    In response to palestra38

Did you say "Bleeding Kansas"?

10Q 
Professor

03-14-18 04:12 PM - Post#253075    

Good luck tonight!

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
03-14-18 04:14 PM - Post#253076    
    In response to PennFan10

Is that like Crazy Eyes Killa?

TheLine 
Professor

Kansas
03-14-18 04:38 PM - Post#253078    

So lowly Penn won in a down season and only because superior teams were injured / spit the bit. Got it. It's been repeated enough times that even I can understand it now. Maybe we can ask the players to split the trophy they got in two so Harvard and Yale - the two more deserving teams - can share it. Though I'm first going to ask my buddies over on the Princeton board if they feel like they deserve a piece of it too.

I'd like to be a magnanimous (hey, Kansas dudes, pull out that thesaurus now) winner but it's becoming to hard to do that.

10Q 
Professor

03-14-18 04:39 PM - Post#253079    
    In response to TheLine

Always win gracefully.

penn nation 
Professor

03-14-18 04:41 PM - Post#253080    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
So lowly Penn won in a down season and only because superior teams had injured teams / spit the bit.

To be fair, I can't really say I disagree. We overachieved...by a ton. We also grew as a team from the beginning of the year by a lot and were the best TEAM.

Even if Foreman and Wood were to somehow magically return next year, I can't imagine any serious Ivy observer giving the Quakers a predicted #1 finish. Not so sure I'd see a #2, either.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
Kansas
03-14-18 04:43 PM - Post#253082    
    In response to penn nation

No One Likes Us, We Don’t Care

Edited by Charlie Fog on 03-14-18 04:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 9 of 12 « First<9101112
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.417 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:28 AM