Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Harvard Starting Lineup Next Year        (Topic#21379)
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Harvard Starting Lineup Next Year
03-19-18 09:20 AM - Post#253765    
    In response to bradley

I wouldn't be surprised if Jaelin had a couple healthy years at Princeton and then legitimately tested the draft waters.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-25-18 04:40 PM - Post#254283    
    In response to mrjames

Harvard recruits finished strong:

Noah Kirkwood (4* CG; 6'7") led Northfield Mt. Hermon to a 31-4 record and a New England League championship. Kirkwood averaged 15.9ppg, 5.9rbs and 6.7 assists. Shot 56% as a guard and 247 has him ranked at #67 nationally, with a composite ranking of #121. Had offers from UVA, Va Tech, TX, Vanderbilt, Wichita St., Pitt, Tulane, GW and St. Bonaventure.

Spencer Freedman (3* PG; 5'11" of Santa Ana's Mater Dei (and teammate of Penn recruit Michael Wang) became the first player to be selected as Trinity League MVP for 3 consecutive years. Mater Dei won it's division championship but was upset in the regionals. Freedman scored 16.6ppg and dished out 4.9apg. 247Sports gives Freedman a composite national ranking of 133. Offers from USC, Washington, Rick, UCSB and Cal St. Northridge.

Kale Catching (3*; 6'4", SF) 405 composite ranking by247Sports. Can't find much but has a strong build, is explosive and can shoot. Reminds me of Justin Bassey.

Mason Forbes (6'8", PF) inspired his Folsom CA team to a California tournament upset of top ranked Salesian. Salesian had its 22 game unbeaten string snapped and entered as high as 3rd in the nation in at least one poll. Forbes recorded a triple-double with 14pts, 13rbs and 11 blocks. Forbes averaged 19pts, 8rbs and 2.3bpg. Forbes does not have a national ranking/stars. Highlight videos show shot blocking and most points following misses. Long and lean, not sure about offensive skills.

In the footsteps of the Class of 2016 + Johnson/McCarthy, is it possibly only Kirkwood plays a significant role next season. Anyone who knows more please step up.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-26-18 08:32 AM - Post#254288    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Kale had a pretty big senior year. Not sure I'd predict he'd be in the rotation, but Justin Bassey is indeed the right comp. Might be a bit bouncier than Bassey.

I can't see how Spencer Freedman doesn't get time. He's going to be 20 over the summer, which is much closer to the age of the 2016 class than an entering freshman. He's excelled for years against high major competition. I could see him being an important second-unit guy to provide some offense where Harvard *really* struggled to generate anything last year.

Mason Forbes should at least get a look. Rim protectors are not our strong suit, though he may not be strong enough to be one effectively at the D1 level as a frosh.

This was an extremely strong class in a year that was pretty weak for the Ivies. If none of these guys other than Noah see the floor as freshmen, Harvard will have rebounded from its injury issues in a big, big way.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-26-18 09:35 AM - Post#254292    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks for the additional insights and information.

I'm assuming Mason would have to earn his time from the minutes allocated to Danilo, Robert and Henry. Probably not that tough to do from the perspective of his defense, but I do note that Coach Amaker seems to have kept Egi on the bench due to impact on offense. From what I saw, could be the same decision with Mason unless he can involve himself in the flow of the offense.

Didn't realize Spencer Freedman was that experienced. Yes, it would be great to have a strong PG on the second unit. Again, assuming Bryce and Kirkwood start, it gets crowded with Juzang, McCarthy and Haskett - all of whom have impressed at one time or another.

I did notice Kale's 'ups' and aggressiveness on defense. He appears to have scoring skills, but not sure if he can shoot the 3. That will be important. Remember, Bassey was around a 30 point scorer in HS who was refocused per Amaker's gameplanning. I would expect Kale goes that way as well.

I guess we both see only Noah as a potential starter, with Spencer the most likely of the others to crack the rotation. Mason will be focused on defense, but is he strong enough to earn minutes from a Baker or Welsh? To me, Kale is the real wildcard due to his athleticism and versatility. If he can shoot, he'll eventually get minutes.

Reasonable class, but certainly in the shadow of the Class of 2016 + Danilo + Haskett.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

05-01-18 10:56 PM - Post#256271    

247 has Forbes up to #150 recruit in class of 2018, but Kirkwood drops to #120 and Freedman to #187. Harvard incoming class ranked #38 in the nation.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

05-02-18 11:08 PM - Post#256318    

Philadelphia 76ers practicing at Lavietes during series vs Celtics.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

10-04-18 06:15 PM - Post#261967    

Repeating great pre-season analysis so it's not overlooked:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/ivy-basketball...

I find it remarkable that no one seems to write about Danilo Djuricic. Versatility, height, ability to play big and 3 point shooting made him extremely valuable and found him minutes last year. Very important when Chris Lewis was on the bench. Possibly hidden behind class of 2020, he'll be a team leader at some point. Shot 45.8% on 3's in conference.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.586 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:17 PM