Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Next year's starting line-up        (Topic#21391)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-18-18 07:29 PM - Post#253731    

I expect MM to start five players in almost every game.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
03-18-18 08:30 PM - Post#253738    
    In response to Old Bear

I was thinking he might buck conventional thinking here and start only 4. Preferrably Cambridge being the odd man out while playing Penn.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Next year's starting line-up
03-18-18 10:00 PM - Post#253744    
    In response to Mike Porter

Unless Jaylan Gainey adds more weight, strength, and polish to his game, I don’t see the starting line-up changing. It will be Anderson and Cambridge at guard, Okolie and Choh at forward, and DeWolf at PF/C. I don’t see an impact Frost this year that will start. I think Shaughnessy backing up Anderson at PG will strengthen that position. He is a tremendous competitor and an excellent player who scores, dishes, and is a natural leader. It is exciting to think how good of an improved and more seasoned Cambridge will be. I hope Kelema can stay healthy and add more scoring as the back-up SG. For a 1st Team Juco All-American I was hoping for more from Hunsaker. But he was a very inconsistent shooter and did not distinguish at PG. But those three will push each other in practice, along with Sullivan and Shaper.

I see Okolie starting at SF, with Howard the primary back-up. David Mitchell may force his way into some minutes if his strength on the glass and outside shooting touch prove to be at the D1 level right from the start. Choh will start at PF at 6-5 and 210. Not ideal size. But he came on so strong last year, there is no way he won’t have a super Soph year. Maybe this the year the game slows down for Erebor and he can start living up to the potential a number of mid-majors saw in him before he choose the Bears early and teams backed off. Franks is probably more a SF. I went to see the NE Prep Finals at RIC in Providence. Mt Hermon won it. They had a 17 player squad but only 7 to 8 saw most all the minutes. Franks never saw the court thru the first 3/4 of the game before I left. Unless he was hurt, I don’t see him contributing much next year.

DeWolf will probably start at C. I’m sure he learned a lot last season as he started quite a few games and seemed to be getting better as a passer and rebounder. But for whatever reason his minutes dropped over the last few games. Perhaps he needs to improve his D to get the minutes back. But we can use some size inside. That’s for sure. The Bears inside play will be enhanced if 6-10 Gainey can provide some inside help. He has a 7-2 wing span and averaged 5 blocks and 6 rebounds per game. But I believe he started the season at 185 lbs. If he can add at least 15 to 20 pounds in the off-season he may be able to grab 15 minutes or so. That would be a plus and add a different dimension. And there is always the chance that Travis Fuller finds a niche in the line-up in his Sr season and provides size at 6-9 225. The key to competing for a play-off spot is the further development of the players on the current roster. There is no Fr that will provide the impact that Cambridge and Choh did last year. But who knows what will happen between now and mid-November?

Edited by JBears on 03-18-18 10:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PVD.35 
Freshman

Reg: 01-04-18
Re: Next year's starting line-up
03-19-18 07:44 AM - Post#253754    
    In response to JBears

Until Anderson's outside shot becomes consistent enough to depend on as a weapon that will keep the driving lanes open he uses so well to get to the foul line, I see Hunsaker starting with Cambridge as wings, Choh at 4, and either Howard or Dewolf at 5.

For some reason, I think Dewolf may be at his ceiling as far as development - I just don't think his offense is a strength. I do think a wild card might be Fuller... Just my opinion.

Shaugnessey will fill a Corey Daugherty type role next year much like Daugherty's 1st year.

Edited by PVD.35 on 03-19-18 07:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-19-18 07:00 PM - Post#253844    
    In response to PVD.35

JB, I don't believe Erabor was on the bench for the last 2 or 3 weekends, though he is still listed on the roster.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Next year's starting line-up
03-19-18 08:07 PM - Post#253860    
    In response to Old Bear

OB, I had not noticed. That’s very disappointing. I recall a play in his first Brown/White scrimmage when he stole a ball near mid-court and seemed to take one dribble and 1-1/2 large strides and rattled the rim with an emphatic slam dunk. Some unfulfilled potential there.

Edited by JBears on 03-19-18 08:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-19-18 10:13 PM - Post#253897    
    In response to PVD.35

At the end of the year, the starting 5 was Choh, Okolie, Cambridge, Hunsaker, and Anderson. Very small, but i’ll Bet on that same 5 for next year.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-20-18 03:39 PM - Post#253966    
    In response to SomeGuy

Yeah Erebor had a pretty great reverse dunk in the first game vs JWU. He’s got athletic length and even showed a midrange jumper in one of the early games if I recall. But he lost a season of gaining experience and I’m sure still skews raw. It just feels like he’s not in the mix for next season.

I think Gainey is interesting because of his size, but he doesn’t present as a rotation player anytime soon. We are still spotty down low. But the emergence of the undersized Choh - with his energy, his hop - makes me feel like he will be manning the 4 for years to come. DeWolf showed he can contribute as a big body and good rebounder and occasional layup-maker. But the 5 question is our biggest.

I don’t see any of the frosh stepping in to play major minutes. I suspect the two guys you’ll see next year that we didn’t see this year will be two backup point guards in Mawanda-Kalema and Shaughnessy. Otherwise you’ve got a pretty full rotation.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.389 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:51 AM