Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Voy Board        (Topic#21496)
CUBballFan 
Freshman

Loc: East Coast
Reg: 04-23-18
04-29-18 11:14 PM - Post#256091    
    In response to SomeGuy

It was obvious the neither Faulds nor Tape guarded Brodeur past the free throw line in the first half. Depite Brodeur killing us from 3, they followed the scouting report and coaches orders - to let him shoot from the outside. To Engles' credit, he made adjustments at halftime and both Faulds and Tape defended Brodeur much better in the 2nd. That loss had more to do with a crappy first half scouting report and the fact that we shot 6/25 (24%) from the behind the 3-point line and, as was often the case, we played terrible perimeter defense.

I thought Smith's 11/23 shooting and 27 points; Faulds' 3/5 shooting, 5 rebounds, block, and steal (17 minutes); and Stefanini's 9 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals (21 minutes); were three of the bright spots in that tough loss.

Also if you fast-forward to the Penn @ Columbia game, you could tell that the Brodeur adjustment carried over. Faulds played 22 minutes and he and Tape held Brodeur to 7 made baskets and 0 three pointers. Although Brodeur still played well, the game plan and defense on him were respectable.

I agree that Faulds is better when matched up with bigs in the paint, but not to match up Faulds against Gettings at all when he scores 25 and they beat us by one is simply inexcusable.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
05-01-18 10:43 PM - Post#256270    
    In response to CUBballFan

Mr. Faulds clarified that his recent twitter comments about coaches were general criticism of bad H.S., college and AAU coaches who take advantage of athletes. The comments were absolutely not about Columbia.

https://twitter.com/CoachFaulds/status/99 112324702...

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
05-03-18 10:48 AM - Post#256326    
    In response to rbg

So the timing was a mere coincidence.

CUBballFan 
Freshman

Loc: East Coast
Reg: 04-23-18
05-03-18 04:44 PM - Post#256354    
    In response to Chet Forte

I appreciated @CoachFaulds' clarification (that he wasn't simply talking about CU's program, but rather all coaches and programs that do those things) - but those examples could absolutely still include CU.

As far as the timing, maybe it wasn't just coincidence. But, I care less about the timing of tweets and more about the fact that many people close to the program have serious concerns about what has been going on for the past two years..... and they aren't typical concerns you hear about during normal transitions.

Also, over the same two year span, I found it interesting that @CoachFaulds' Twitter account does have a long track record of being positive in tone. That guy has tweeted/retweeted more recognition, praise, and props to CU's athletes (from a variety of CU sports) than almost anyone - except our athletic department and program itself. IMHO, the messages speak for themselves and what his intent is. As for some of the others in question, I'm not feeling very reassured.

rbg 
Postdoc

07-02-18 08:20 AM - Post#258403    
    In response to CUBballFan

Jaron Faulds has announced that he is transferring to the University of Michigan. He will have to sit out the 2018-2019 season, but he can still practice with the team. Faulds still has three seasons of eligibility. He will be a preferred walk-on and look to eventually earn a scholarship.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/06...

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/6/30/17520654/co ...

https://gbmwolverine.com/2018/06/30/michigan-b aske...

rbg 
Postdoc

07-03-18 05:20 PM - Post#258456    
    In response to rbg

One more item on Faulds, from the UM Hoops blog.

https://umhoops.com/2018/07/02/jaron-faul ds-takes-...

- “It really appealed to me, being in the Ivy League and being the Ivy League student, the Ivy League athlete and everything,” Faulds told UM Hoops on Sunday. “But yeah, just through the whole process, I was just thinking, ‘What’s a place with great culture, great teammates, coaches, just overall, what’s gonna prepare the best for when I’m done with basketball? When the ball stops bouncing, which school is gonna prepare me the best?’ ”

US News and World Report ranks Columbia in a tie for fifth in national universities. There aren’t many better places to get someone ready for life after basketball.

Faulds knew that. This wasn’t a case of going somewhere with the intention of leaving after a year — he planned to spend the next four years in New York City. His freshman year was solid on the court. Faulds averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds over 14.2 minutes per game, making the top-10 in the Ivy League for blocks. He felt he held his own.

“I played a decent amount for a freshman at Columbia,” Faulds said. “But I just realized that I wasn’t as happy as I had hoped to be.”

When asked, Faulds didn’t pinpoint a specific reason for wanting to leave Columbia. Part of it though, was being an 11-hour drive from home. He felt out of touch with family and friends, and wanted to reconnect. So when he got his release form, Faulds had a destination in mind. -

LionFan 
Senior

Reg: 11-07-06
07-03-18 07:51 PM - Post#258459    
    In response to rbg

What do you make of the fact that the two guys who left were roomates?

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
07-04-18 06:11 PM - Post#258470    
    In response to LionFan

The virus didn't travel far?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

07-06-18 06:46 PM - Post#258534    
    In response to cc66

OK. Take this for what it is worth. An administrator who I have known for years who happens to be plugged into the program told me after the season that the administration thinks Engels is the right guy and that the chemistry on the team was awful because a few of the players made it that way. Time will tell

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
07-06-18 07:53 PM - Post#258535    
    In response to Chet Forte

Saying that the coach has nothing to do with bad team chemistry strikes me as a very strange argument. I guess you're right-- time will tell. If the team seems more cohesive next season that will tell us something.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
07-08-18 05:59 PM - Post#258557    
    In response to Silver Maple

If my eyesight still serves, what Chet Forte wrote is that someone close to the program informed that “the chemistry on the team was awful because a few of the players made it that way.” That’s different from the inaccurate claim that someone supposedly said that the “coach ha[d] nothing to do with it.”

When a new coach comes in, for some players it’s great, for others it’s like a getting a stepfather about whom they’re not crazy simply because he’s a stepfather. Sometimes veteran players think they know better as to what their role can or should be or feel entitled to PT and act accordingly. I would remind that Kyle Smith disinvited our formerly best player from the team for his senior season because, from what I had heard, there were significant differences in views about who would have what role on the team.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

07-09-18 08:18 PM - Post#258591    
    In response to Dr. V

Dr. V accurately and succinctly summed up what I had attempted to convey. What I do not know is whether the chemistry issue was attributable to returning players or new players.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
07-09-18 09:37 PM - Post#258594    
    In response to Dr. V

• Dr. V Said:
I would remind that Kyle Smith disinvited our formerly best player from the team for his senior season because, from what I had heard, there were significant differences in views about who would have what role on the team.

Seems to me exactly what Steve Donahue did a few years ago.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.557 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:58 AM