Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Username Post: Greatest Sports Moment        (Topic#21501)
The Pine 
Freshman

Reg: 02-22-15
04-24-18 06:35 PM - Post#255819    
    In response to SteveChop

The Penn Harvard Football game, 1982, which gave Penn its first Ivy title since 1959.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
04-24-18 07:11 PM - Post#255821    
    In response to The Pine

Here are a few:
- Tim Krug dunk in the 1993 Princeton game at home (By the way, see this clip to remember the Palestra energy https://youtu.be/wLhfeoU-VhE)
- Penn football beating (was it Cornell?) in 1993 and the goalposts being carried out to the river as fans swarmed the stadium
- Hassan Duncombe tipping the game winner against Princeton
- Penn beats Villanova in 1988
- "Wide Right" Scott Norwood Super Bowl
- SF Giants win 2014 World Series behind Bumgarner's 3rd pitching appearance in relief

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
04-24-18 10:24 PM - Post#255829    
    In response to Penndemonium

From a Philly perspective, the demon-exorcising NBA championship of the '83 Sixers was a top moment. And the 1974 Flyers championship, the first remotely winning thing that had happened in Philadelphia pro sports for a long time, was pretty special too.

caughtinasnare 
Senior

Reg: 02-21-09
04-24-18 10:56 PM - Post#255830    
    In response to SRP

For me, I'd have to say the Endy Chavez catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS, though it was followed shortly thereafter by one of the worst. As a Mets/Jets fan, not many great memories to look back at...

From a Penn perspective, the previously mentioned Zoller game against Temple in 2007 was great, as was the Harvard regular season game this year (I didn't make it down from NY for the tournament, though I did make it to Wichita, which was awesome for awhile).

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
04-25-18 12:07 AM - Post#255831    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
Miracle on Ice is the only hockey game I've ever watched with interest.

No true Penn fan should have watched that game as it happened. I was at the Palestra, watching our basketball team beat Harvard, when John McAdams made the announcement (of the USA's victory) to the Palestra crowd.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

1979Quakers 
Freshman

Reg: 06-06-17
Re: Greatest Sports Moment
04-25-18 12:24 AM - Post#255832    
    In response to 10Q

It may not be, per se, the greatest sports moment but a defining moment for me was May 28, 1987 when the Flyers, trailing 2-1 in the third period of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, 3-2 in the series, and, seemingly, dead in the water, scored two third period goals to beat the Edmonton Oilers, 3-2, and send the series back to a deciding Game 7 in Edmonton. The Spectrum that night in the last 10 minutes of the game may have been the loudest it ever was.

Two other Flyers memorable moments were, besides the Cup wins, the five OT game in Pittsburgh in 2000 that ended at 2:36 am on Keith Primeau's goal, and Ron Hextall becoming the first NHL goaltender to actually score a goal, December 10, 1987 against the Bruins.

I hate the Penguins.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
04-25-18 01:42 AM - Post#255833    
    In response to 13otto

13Otto said with respect to Miracle on Ice:

<<No true Penn fan should have watched that game as it happened. I was at the Palestra, watching our basketball team beat Harvard.>>

I was with 13Otto in the Palestra that night. No true Penn fan should have watched the game as it happened, because no Penn fan or any American could have watched the game as it happened.

The game was played at 5:00 pm EST and was not shown by ABC television until prime time coverage began at 8:00 pm. As I was driving to the Palestra, KYW news radio was breaking into newscasts with score updates. The hockey game went final during the basketball game. After the basketball game was over, fans gathered around television sets on campus to watch the tape-delayed broadcast.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
Greatest Sports Moment
04-25-18 07:43 AM - Post#255838    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Strangely enough many Americans believe the Miracle on Ice was for the Gold ... the U.S. still had to beat Sweden

As for Flyers Hockey: I think you have to include the win over the Red Army team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Philadelphi a_Fl...

Edited by JDP on 04-25-18 07:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
04-25-18 08:20 AM - Post#255840    
    In response to JDP

I know when I watched that game I was not aware of the result, and so I always remembered it as live. The people I was watching with were in the same boat. So it's very surprising to me to hear that the game was over. It was a lot easier in those days to have a media blackout. If you stayed away from the radio, you were set.

palestra38 
Professor

04-25-18 08:33 AM - Post#255841    
    In response to JDP

I hated that---hated that the NHL, and especially the Flyers, thought that assault was part of the game. Have not cared about NHL hockey since that time. College and international hockey strictly prohibit fighting as does every other sport. The idea that it is part of the game is ridiculous. Go watch wrestling.

Catskill 
Freshman

Reg: 03-13-18
04-25-18 08:44 AM - Post#255845    
    In response to 10Q

Maureen Bunyan accidentally announced the result on ACC evening news in DC ruining the delayed broadcast there.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
04-25-18 09:25 AM - Post#255849    
    In response to JDP

• JDP Said:
Strangely enough many Americans believe the Miracle on Ice was for the Gold ... the U.S. still had to beat Sweden

Nope. They had to beat Finland. They had tied Sweden earlier in the round robin.

palestra38 
Professor

04-25-18 09:31 AM - Post#255850    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

It's much like many think that the ball that went through Buckner's legs turned a Boston victory into a Mets series win. In fact, the game was already tied and it was game 6, with the Mets needing another win, which they had to do with another miracle comeback (a Lenny Dykstra HR)

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
04-25-18 10:20 AM - Post#255852    
    In response to Catskill

The WJLA, ABC announcer who spoiled the outcome of the game was Renee Poussaint.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
04-25-18 11:48 AM - Post#255859    

Overall
Miracle on Ice

Of games I attended:
Football:
Giants vs Washington in the '86 NFC Championship Game. My family had season tickets from the start of the team's play in the Meadowlands. Even though it was not the most well played game, the outcome really was not in doubt. The people in our section were so shocked and thankful to finally have a Super Bowl caliber team, after all the previous horrible seasons, that the day was just one long celebration.

Baseball:
Game 4 Phillies vs Blue Jays '93 World Series. Absolutely crazy game (15-14 Blue Jays win) on a cold and rain soaked night.

Mets Old Timers Day '77. My grandparents took me to Shea on a super hot July day for the event. Mantle, Mays, DiMaggio, and Snider were all there and came in together from center field. Later in the day, my grandmother was getting faint from the heat and went to find some shade. She came back to tell us that she was given a seat next to Mel Allen and spent some time talking to him.

Pro Hockey:
Soviet Red Army vs Rangers '75. The Red Army team destroyed the Rangers, but it was a packed house and it was the first time my folks let me sit in the upper level of MSG with the Boo-Birds

College Basketball (Non-Penn)
USA Basketball Olympic Team vs NBA All-Stars, Iowa City Summer of 1984. I spent the summer in the midwest and made my way to the almost new Carver Hawkeye Arena to see Bobby Knight's squad in a pre-Olympic exhibition. Jordan, Ewing, Mullins, Perkins, Tillsdale and Alford were all on the team.

* I had tickets to the Duke vs Kentucky Elite 8 game at the Spectrum in '92, but decided to go back home and visit the folks. After attending the Sweet 16 that Thursday, I thought that Duke was going to run all over a Kentucky team that seemed a year or two away.

Penn basketball:
Penn vs Princeton "The Exorcism Game" (64-46). The Palestra was packed and super loud for the Saturday night contest where Penn re-established control of the IL for the next few years.

palestra38 
Professor

04-25-18 11:58 AM - Post#255860    
    In response to rbg

I was at that Duke-Kentucky game in the 2nd row behind the basket and the final play developed right in front of my eyes (I was right behind the passer). Unbelievable, but if there were replay, no way he got that shot off in time.

I've been to almost every Penn-Princeton game for the last 44 (gulp) years, but my favorite (and the game at Princeton this past year was deeply satisfying) probably was the Hassan Duncombe putback off the Paul Chambers miss with a second to go to win 51-50 in 1990. It was the first breath of fresh air pointing towards a better future. This year's game had much in common, although we have improved faster.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Greatest Sports Moment
04-25-18 03:29 PM - Post#255872    
    In response to palestra38

Non-Cubs division

Basketball

(Tie)

1. "The Shot"

1989 Eastern Conference Divisional Playoffs, Game 5, Bulls vs. Cavs.

A shot on Ehlo......good! The Bulls win! They win it!

Nearly 30 years later, walk through the streets of Cleveland, throw out the words "The Shot", and see how they respond.

Michael Jordan never jumped higher. And no, I'm not even talking about the buzzer beater that catapulted the Bulls to the next round, where they would upset the Knicks and begin a 10 year stretch where they would advance to the Final Four in 8 of those years (including going 6 for 6 in the NBA Finals).

No, Jordan's exultant jump after the made shot, fists and arms flaying, face more animated than we'd ever seen, told the story. Coach Doug Collins, excitedly running at full speed, looking like he was about to burst And me--screaming at the top of my lungs, not knowing at the time what a pivotal moment this would be for both MJ and the Bulls franchise, not realizing how many other times during the next decade MJ would rescue his team from despair by performing feats of superhuman strength and kishkes (here's looking at ya, Festivus).

The game and series went back and forth, and after Craig "Route 14" Hodges allowed Craig Ehlo to burn him for an easy layup with 3 seconds to spare to take a 1 point lead, it looked like curtains for the Bulls in the decisive game.

Ehlo would indeed be featured for decades to come on Jim Durham and Johnny Kerr's radio call, but that would not be the play which would make him famous.

1a. "The Shrug"

1992 NBA Finals, Game 1, Portland at Bulls, Chicago Stadium.

Here's Jordan for 3.....YES!....Did you see that look...Michael indicating he can't believe it.

This exact moment, in my estimation, marked the absolute apex of MJ as a basketball player. He was still young and quick enough to blow by most defenders with his speed and acrobatics.

Before the series, Clyde Drexler had the chutzpah to suggest that perhaps he had the edge on MJ in the department of outside shooting. MJ's 35 points in the first half, capped by a then-record six 3 point shots, dispensed with any such nonsense for the rest of his career.

The Stadium crowd was already in a frenzy, having seen MJ make a variety of dazzling moves and shots before this one. But when he launched and made this--has Chicago Stadium ever gone crazier during a basketball game? [I'm leaving hockey out of it, because I think it has the Bulls beat]. I was doing a combination of tumbling, screaming, jumping, "Oh My God"ing, and Lord knows what else. It was sheer insanity--making the NBA Finals look like a pickup game.

Even Marv Albert was caught up in it--his entire call was basically screaming.

Truth be told, I can very easily list 20 other truly Great Sports Moments just from the Bulls/MJ years (which I may eventually do down the road). If they never win another championship during my lifetime, dayenu--I would be more than content.

Edited by penn nation on 04-25-18 03:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
04-25-18 09:46 PM - Post#255892    

Entirely my bad - Sweden got the bronze - U.S.A. beat Finland who ended up fourth. Fortunately this was not Quizzo or fthe final round of Jepordary! Those little grey cell sometime just don’t work.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
04-26-18 09:02 AM - Post#255907    
    In response to JDP

If my memory serves, the US opened the round-robin against Sweden. I think it was Dave Silk who scored the goal that tied the game at 2. I do remember thinking that was a GREAT result for the US, as Sweden was a real power, and got me thinking the team might have a shot at a decent Olympics.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
04-26-18 10:03 AM - Post#255910    

Silk scored the USA's first goal in the game against Sweden. Defenseman Bill Baker was the player who scored the equalizer from just inside the blue line with under 30 seconds left to tie the game. He was the extra skater when goalie Jim Craig came off the ice.

Baker went onto the pros, but did not have much of a career

Baker beat Sweden's goalie, Pelle Lindbergh, who later played for the Flyers. Lindbergh was the Vezina Trophy winner in 84-85, leading the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals where the team lost to the Oilers.

Lindbergh died from a car crash in South Jersey in November 1985. He had been at a team party and his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit.

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.072 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:11 PM