Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 17 of 17 « First<14151617
Username Post: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn        (Topic#21715)
rbg 
PhD Student

Reg: 10-20-14
05-10-19 09:23 AM - Post#284351    
    In response to rbg

That same article states that Jerome was due to be sentenced on April 16th.

Has anyone read anything about Allen being sentenced? If not, do people think that the sentencing will be coming up shortly since the Celtics' season is now over?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
05-10-19 10:02 AM - Post#284355    
    In response to rbg

From the Beating the Dead Horse Dept.

We aren't going to agree on whether he should be expelled/diploma revoked absent evidence he knew of the bribery or cooked the numbers on his tests. I can pretty much guarantee that they won't take such action absent such proof. They don't want a lawsuit and what it would be likely to turn up.

Go Green 
Masters Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-10-19 10:27 AM - Post#284356    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
I can pretty much guarantee that they won't take such action absent such proof. They don't want a lawsuit and what it would be likely to turn up.

Then nobody should be shocked if/when this happens again at Penn in a few years.

palestra38 
Professor

Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
05-10-19 10:46 AM - Post#284357    
    In response to Go Green

This happens every year in the Ivies with all teams, since the ridiculous AI rules almost force teams to recruit players who have no shot at making the court in order to boost the AI. You show me the line that is crossed from the viewpoint of this kid and others who play high school ball and are recruited under the (wink-wink) basis that they "may" play. And look at what is happening to Harvard in the lawsuit against it---the lawsuit is ridiculous, but turns up that Harvard makes exceptions all over the place to objective standards.

Again, if there is evidence that he knew of the bribery or cheated in any way on his application or tests, that is completely different.

Streamers 
Postdoc
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
05-10-19 11:05 AM - Post#284358    

The AI guys get 1 minute on Senior Night and at the end of blowouts.

TheLine 
Postdoc

Reg: 07-07-09
05-10-19 11:14 AM - Post#284359    

To paraphrase, it's clear Esformes Jr. was admitted to Penn fraudulently. Those who clearly committed crimes are making their way through the judicial system. Esformes Jr. isn't presently accused of committing a crime. Esformes isn't necessarily an innocent but that doesn't mean there enough evidence to convict him of a crime (those of you who have bothered to keep up with the Mueller investigation should understand there's a difference, excuse me for the non-basketball divergence).

Should Penn pursue anything against Esformes Jr. regardless? As much as I empathize with the hardliners because Esformes Jr is probably not entirely innocent, palestra38 has a salient point. Penn is in a tough spot here without more to go on.

And palestra38's point about AI stuffing is also relevant because that's how Allen was able to get away with an argument that Esformes should be a basketball recruit. It's one of the nasty side effects of our current recruiting process, along with the drying up of the public city high school pipeline. Willie Oliphant is still the last Penn recruit from a Philly public HS, it's not a coincidence that he was just barely pre-AI.

I sincerely hope this is a one-off across all the Ivies but doubt it.

rbg 
PhD Student

Reg: 10-20-14
Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
05-10-19 12:06 PM - Post#284363    
    In response to TheLine

I think most of us are aware of the skills sets for the AI recruits that we see introduced each fall. The coaches (head coaches and assistants) are definitely aware that these recruits are not the most elite athletes on their lists. However, during the trial, I believe Jerome mentioned that his assistants were surprised about Esformes being on the recruiting list.

If they were questioning this, then the student would seem to have been below the athletic standard they hold for their own AI boosting athletes.

Edited by rbg on 05-10-19 12:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
05-10-19 12:09 PM - Post#284364    
    In response to rbg

But he did play HS basketball, unlike the fake crew and fencing situations in the national lawsuit. Again, the fact that Jerome's assistants may have thought this kid below even AI packing par is not a reflection of the kid, but of Jerome.

Go Green 
Masters Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-15-19 11:27 AM - Post#284525    

The Georgetown kid has reportedly sued the school to prevent any negative action against him as a result of the scandal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgetown-stude nt-enme...

Page 17 of 17 « First<14151617
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.221 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:08 PM