Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 18 « First<78910>» Last
Username Post: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn        (Topic#21715)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
10-12-18 11:29 AM - Post#262451    
    In response to PennFan10

I've been pretty vocal about Bilsky, too.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
10-12-18 11:44 AM - Post#262465    
    In response to PennFan10

I can forgive the bribery. It's the terrible coaching that is unpardonable.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-12-18 11:45 AM - Post#262466    
    In response to PennFan10

It was also the ADs fault for hiring Jerome in the first place. It was a terrible decision. Hiring Miller, even though it worked out terribly, was at least a defensible decision. There was no good reason to think that Jerome Allen was qualified to be head coach, and the result wasn't a surprise. Even making him interim coach was a bad call.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
10-12-18 01:10 PM - Post#262474    
    In response to Silver Maple

I don't disagree with the point, although many on this board were much more positive and optimistic about Jerome at the time.

I was quite negative on it initially, but also eventually got caught up in the hope that a Penn hero could also turn out to be the positive coach and role model we all hoped he would be. I also received a PM on this board from a player who was personally lobbying for Jerome. The player was asking members of the board to write letters to the administration. The player said that any of the players would run through a brick wall for Jerome and that he was a great talent for recruiting and in-game strategy. That helped to mitigate my skepticism a bit.

It is easy to be critical of Jerome and Miller, but the truth is that being a head coach is just incredibly hard. All people have strengths and weaknesses, and the ability to create sustainable excellence depends up on a coach's executive skills. Those executive skills are only partially overlapping from those that make someone a great player or assistant. Great player management, assistant management, recruiting, scouting, player development, in-game coaching, PR, school administration management, etc. Assistants only need to be good at one or two of those things. Coaches need to be great at all of them or else recruit, empower, and retain people who fill in the gaps.

Miller was clearly a great coach at Brown. Perhaps he didn't assemble the right pieces at Penn. Jerome seemed to have great assistant potential but not much executive skill. At the Celtics, he can focus on the things he does well and there is plenty of other executive talent to handle everything else important to the team. In college, you have to do so much more yourself.

I know everyone is down on Jerome. I can't condone what he did. I hate how he hurt his reputation, Penn's reputation, and his legacy. That said, I don't suddenly think he's a bad person. Everyone snaps to judgment on these things, but even decent people can make some (really) bad decisions sometimes. The truly bad ones are the narcissists whose only regrets are about consequences.

• Silver Maple Said:
It was also the ADs fault for hiring Jerome in the first place. It was a terrible decision. Hiring Miller, even though it worked out terribly, was at least a defensible decision. There was no good reason to think that Jerome Allen was qualified to be head coach, and the result wasn't a surprise. Even making him interim coach was a bad call.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
10-12-18 02:24 PM - Post#262487    
    In response to Penndemonium

Man, you really buried the lede.

• Penndemonium Said:
I also received a PM on this board from a player who was personally lobbying for Jerome. The player was asking members of the board to write letters to the administration.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
10-14-18 06:46 AM - Post#262529    

• Silver Maple Said:

Well said. Jerome is still a hero to the program

palestra38 
Professor

10-14-18 07:39 PM - Post#262554    
    In response to Charlie Fog

No way.

10Q 
Professor

10-15-18 08:55 AM - Post#262575    
    In response to palestra38

Agreed. His hero status is long gone.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-15-18 09:02 AM - Post#262580    
    In response to 10Q

I was kind of assuming that Charlie was being ironic with that statement. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
Reg: 11-22-04
10-15-18 10:27 AM - Post#262593    

I forgot that JA was elected to the Penn Athletics Hall of Fame.

Beyond any legal reprisals, I wonder how Penn will punish him from an optics perspective.
Leges sine moribus vanae

10Q 
Professor

10-15-18 10:34 AM - Post#262594    
    In response to Penn90

Exhibit A: The Steve Wynne Wall of Fame.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
10-15-18 12:19 PM - Post#262601    
    In response to Penn90

• Penn90 Said:
I forgot that JA was elected to the Penn Athletics Hall of Fame.

Beyond any legal reprisals, I wonder how Penn will punish him from an optics perspective.

Exhibit A: The Steve Wynne Wall of Fame.

::bites tongue, stifles snide political remark::

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 10-15-18 12:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-17-18 08:49 AM - Post#262778    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

It doesn't seem that the Celtics have had any public statements about Allen since the initial comments from Ainge and Stevens praising Jerome for owning up to the charges brought against him.

There were some comments from Boston area papers stating Allen would probably get a two week suspension, but the team has not said anything.

For those watching last night's Sixers-Celtics game, was Jerome on the bench?

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-23-18 11:43 PM - Post#263388    
    In response to rbg

The DP has comments from Dean of Admissions Eric Furda about the post-Jerome landscape between Athletics and Admissions.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/10/jerom e-allen...

- Furda suggested new professional development and training for staffers in both departments to prevent future incidents of bribery. He added that any staffer, regardless of their seniority, should go through the training process.

Furda noted, however, excessive regulation of the recruitment and admission process could hinder the ability of both departments to do their jobs well.

“Is One College Hall going to put up these walls so high that we can’t even recruit people? Will athletics need to put things up within their own department – that they’re not going to be able to recruit people?” Furda said. “Can we overly regulate, legislate any of the pieces?” -

In addition, there's this little bit from a member of the Athletic Department, concerning the investigation.

- Penn Athletics is currently in the "final stages" of an internal investigation conducted by a hired outside legal counsel, Associate Athletic Director of Administration and Strategic Communications Kevin Bonner said.

"We remain in the final stages of the investigation. If or when we have more information, we’ll be sure to reach out," wrote Bonner in an emailed statement to the DP. -

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
10-24-18 08:20 AM - Post#263393    
    In response to rbg

This wasn't a case of the system failing or lack of safeguards. This is a case of one person's moral failing. That person must have known better.

It's tough to pin much blame on anyone else when under the current system coaches can recruit AI ballast within the rules. How would the AD or Admissions know that Esformes was recruited not for his AI score but because Allen accepted a bribe?

The DP writers should know better than to dance around this.

palestra38 
Professor

10-24-18 08:23 AM - Post#263395    
    In response to TheLine

Agreed, but in a way it is like 9/11---no one ever thought a hijacker would take a plane and blow himself up and use the plane as a bomb. After all, the procedure was to do whatever the hijacker wanted to save the passengers and crew. After 9/11, procedures had to change. They will have to change here, despite the fact that no one ever would have thought that a coach would use recruiting rules to obtain a bribe simply to help a kid get into the school for academics. There now will have to be some due diligence that all recruits are actually Division 1 level basketball players.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
10-24-18 08:45 AM - Post#263398    

How can you possibly judge that?

Coaches in this league regularly recruit players with marginal skills and high AI. How does anyone tell the difference between a player that the coach reasonably believes may be good enough to hang on the roster (and happens to have a high AI) and the player the coach is bringing in because he was bribed?

I get that Esformes was a particularly egregious case - we were laughing at his workout videos when he was recruited. I can envision situations that are not as clear, with a bribe making the difference as to whether one 'recruit' or another is coded.

Let's place the blame where it deserves to be placed - on the coach who took the bribe.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

10-24-18 08:52 AM - Post#263401    

I disagree and think Dean Furda is directly on point. You can't expect Admissions to evaluate whether a high school kid is a D1 talent. It's important to remember that there are 30+ varsity sports at Penn and this awful behavior could have taken place in any one of them. It happened in a sport near and dear to all of us and was perpetrated by a Penn icon, but it could have been the women's golf coach.

But certainly reinforcing strict rules of conduct through better staff training would be helpful. My understanding is we do do staff training for our coaches but this incident should be part of the unacceptable conduct reinforced in that training. I also think that the training could impose certain standards/expectations to be applied with so called AI boosters, who will continue to be utilized under a very flawed Ivy recruiting system that invites the use of such boosters.

palestra38 
Professor

10-24-18 09:20 AM - Post#263402    
    In response to TheLine

Obviously, I don't know the kid's qualifications for admission to Penn as a non-athlete, but let's just say that the liason between admissions and the team probably could have asked some questions which would have revealed that he needed the help to get into Penn and was not an AI booster---but the questions should be asked as to why this kid is being recruited. Perhaps I am incorrect and he was a great student and the use of athletic recruitment was overkill, but somehow, I doubt it.

Bill Lewis 
Senior

Reg: 12-23-04
Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
10-24-18 09:24 AM - Post#263403    

The Harvard data has the answer. The overall admit rate at Harvard is 5% and the recruited athlete admit rate is 85%.

Edited by Bill Lewis on 10-24-18 09:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 7 of 18 « First<78910>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.596 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:17 PM