Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 5 <2345
Username Post: Meisner        (Topic#21719)
AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
07-25-18 12:01 AM - Post#259424    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Call Engles in his office this morning and ask him that $600million question. When he refuses to answer you, follow up right away with the following: why are you running a fascist state? Perhaps because your coaching and communication skills are sorely lacking?

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-25-18 12:04 AM - Post#259425    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

SPlease forgive my ignorance, but who is Coyers?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
07-25-18 10:39 AM - Post#259431    
    In response to AntiUngvar

My mistake: Joseph Smoyer - 6'11 230lb transfer from Portland

This occurred last April.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-25-18 10:59 AM - Post#259432    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Smoyer? Coyers?? What difference does it really make???
Hard to get too excited about a 7 footer, having averaged less than 2 rebounds per game and who won't be eligible to play again for another 17 months (and even then, only for one season). But make sure to at least put his name down on the roster; perhaps, twice-once as Smoyer, and once as Coyers; because you can't very well claim to have a roster in the first place without any names on it-can you? Thank you.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-26-18 08:40 AM - Post#259477    
    In response to rbg

So it now appears that Shane Eberle has withdrawn himself from the basketball program. That makes FIVE individuals from the 2017-18 roster, not on this year's team and for reasons unrelated to graduation nor their academic performance.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
07-26-18 11:50 AM - Post#259489    

"AntiUngvar," whoever you are, if you're going to accuse someone of "fascism," at least have the gonads not to hide behind some stupid name. But more importantly, please, please start taking your meds again.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-26-18 01:13 PM - Post#259491    
    In response to Dr. V

I don't believe I'm off the mark. But don't take my word for anything, sir- I do suggest you consider the viewpoint of Mr. Tod Howard Hawks, '66, as cogently presented in today's Spectator. Reassuring to note that not ALL old guarders choose to be in complicit with institutional coverup.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
07-26-18 08:58 PM - Post#259507    

Nothing you've written addresses the "fascism" nonsense or your other bizarre animus toward our coaches. Address that or, as I suggested, restart you meds please.

With all due respect to him, a real fan of long standing, Mr. Hawks is wrong, not because I say so but because based on the information available and proper inferences. It is a fallacy to claim, without any additional evidence, that when two things happen in the same time period, one must have caused the other. It is somewhat unusual that so many players have left the program, which could legitimately raise the question of why, whether there is any pattern other than numbers, but nothing more until and unless there is more evidence of something. And there is not.

There has been no information about the Australian, Andrew P. Did he just leave the program or school? And, of course, why one or the other or both?

Faulds in effect said he was homesick and transferred to Michigan, an hour from his home.

Meisner has decided to forgo his senior season to turn pro in Germany.

There was some indirect evidence that Hanson may have been unhappy with the program or the coaches. But exactly why is unclear.

Eberle has apparently had a series of health or injury issues. It's not clear whether he finally was healthy this year or whether he could contribute.

This is collective evidence of bad luck, mostly for our coaches who have to deal with a series of unexpected events. Those of us who genuinely care about the program, in contrast to those who may just be malicious, would do well to avoid concocting silly conspiracy theories growing out of our disappointment with the effects of such unexpected departures.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-26-18 09:33 PM - Post#259508    
    In response to Dr. V

Bad luck? You're most certainly entitled to your point of view. Thank you for that.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
07-27-18 05:46 PM - Post#259561    

With respect to Dr.V, who is true blue, I take issue with the Faulds explanation. He obviously had a helicopter father who thought his son should be playing more.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-27-18 06:24 PM - Post#259562    
    In response to Chet Forte

Chet:
I enjoy your commentary and trust in your consistent attempt to be fair; but I must tell you that -having had countless textual, email and in person exchanges with Travis Faulds (Jaron's dad) during the past year- this is NOT a father who smothers his child. Travis, as a basketball coach himself, certainly bonds quite well and frequently with Jaron, and with his daughter ( a basketball player in her own right); and if the father felt the son should have been playing more as a CU freshman, that was only based upon what Jim Engles had assured him would happen, during Jaron's entire Columbia recruitment.
You may recall that in the fall of 2016, Eagles & his staff actively marketed the commitment made by Jaron Faulds to Columbia. They even referenced him as the top recruit in the history of the school- a dubious claim given the defining presence at CU of Jim McMillan, Jack Molinas & others; still Jaron's early commitment made to Columbia early and the father's presence then as both a basketball & Columbia ambassador made it that much easier for them to seal the deal with several of the other freshman in Jaron's class. No doubt in my mind that Jaron Faulds is a quality kid, and Travis is a wonderful man and a terrific parent. Thanks.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-28-18 09:12 AM - Post#259569    

Yes, Faulds was a highly touted recruit, and that was played up. However, I think that it was expected that he would need time and likely wouldn’t be an immediate star. I don’t know what Engles told the family during the recruiting process, but I would be surprised if he promised something in terms of play8ng time and then didn’t follow through. I think a lot of recruits hear “you’ll have an opportunity to earn play8ng Time” and assume they’ll earn the playing time. But as was discussed some on this board, I think the most connected folks knew he wasn’t going to have a big impact out of the gate, regardless of the four star rating.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
07-28-18 10:50 AM - Post#259572    
    In response to SomeGuy

OK-- so I'm experiencing some cognitive dissonance here. I would think that a four star recruit, by definition, would be expected to be an impact player right from the start at a mid-major program. Either I don't know what these recruiting ratings actually mean (a pretty good possibility), or Faulds was overrated (also plausible).

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-28-18 12:54 PM - Post#259577    
    In response to Silver Maple

Well, probably a little bit of both here. The ratings are far from perfect of course. And not an exact science. And some players are going to be the same guy wherever, or at least don’t have a style/skillset that would make them a lead player at a lower level.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-28-18 01:06 PM - Post#259579    

SomeG & SilverM:
Yes, quite an age of cognitive dissonance we live in, particularly in light of the stream of baffling information emanating from the White House on practically an hourly basis; in fact, I believe the events transpiring in Levien Gym&Dodge Fitness Center these days are the toy department's mirror/version of what's being played out in in the painful course of this sordid Presidency. You both know who the obvious protagonists are in the respective productions; and I'll allow you your conclusions in matching up the remaining, corresponding supporting actors.
You both provide good reads; thank you for those. Few freshmen, nationally, and NONE in the Ivies has immediate star impact; but Jaron Faulds DID HAVE UNQUESTIONABLE IMPACT AS A FRESHMAN WHENEVER HE WAS ALLOWED THE OPPORTUNITY TO demonstrate it: he completed the season shooting 60% from the field (which very few NCAA players, nationally, do); he was probably the best rebounder & shot blocker on the team; he had a 2 game December streak against Albany & Quinnipiac when he made 13 of 17 shots, while scoring 29 points;
and in 3 games against nationally labelled schools -Vilanova, PennState and Boston College- Jaron played a combined 58 minutes, while converting 10 of 18 shots and accumulating 21 points. I'd say that's pretty good for an 18 year old living 1,000 miles away from home for the first time & brand new to handling Columbia's course load, too- no sign of homesickness shown there, either, despite some erroneous reports of such! So, however you may choose to interpret those pre-existing ratings, Jaron Faulds usually showed us something in the way of helping his team in the 14 minutes per game playing time he received. Also, if you go back into the Spectator archives (fall, 2016;winter 2016-17), you'll see that information was put out, UNDOUBTEDLY with the basketball offfice's blessings that promoted Jaron as men's basketball's highest ranked recruit ever. Just look at Jered Everson's article from January 27, 2017, calling the Faulds commitment to CU a watershed moment for the program. And if/when you review this press, it's important for you to be mindful of the fact that the kid, Jaron, NEVER asked for this attention; the boy's father, Travis, NEVER asked for this kind of attention. This information only came out because Jim Engles knew it would be useful for the families of future CU freshmen Bibbs, Hanson, Stefanini and Brumant to have it known to them as they were deliberating on the best college choices to be made for their sons. Engles, in fact, encouraged Travis (Jaron's dad) to contact the parents of these other student-athletes, knowing that he'd be speaking most favorably to them about the Columbia program. So please understand that while Jaron Faulds and his family went through an at times arduous recruitment process; they were also actually used in the recruitment of others. Thus, I think it's reasonable to infer from all of this, that the Faulds family was led to believe the Columbia program would be built around Jaron. It's often true as SomeGuy states that recruits often hear what they want to hear; but Jaron Faulds wasn't just any recruit- at least not for Jim Engles.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
07-28-18 01:44 PM - Post#259580    

Thanks for all the info. However, I'm going to take issue with your statement that no Ivy freshmen have star impact. Obviously, to some extent, this is all dependent upon how you define 'star,' but there are several guys playing in the league right now who would have met pretty much anybody's definition of star when they were freshmen.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

07-28-18 01:45 PM - Post#259581    

One of them plays for Brown .

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-28-18 02:22 PM - Post#259582    

Yes, as the Bear points out, Desmond Cambridge from Tennessee had a heck of freshman year for Brown. But he was showcased by the Brown staff; to the tune of 30 minutes and 15 shots per game (shot only 40%, however). In my view, the Columbia freshmen didn't receive similar opportunities to show their wares; not being given a chance makes it easy for someone to conclude you're (probably) overrated.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
07-28-18 04:38 PM - Post#259584    

Miye Oni
Bryce Aiken
Des Cambridge
AJ Brodeur
Evan Boudreaux

All stars as freshman.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-28-18 04:59 PM - Post#259585    
    In response to PennFan10

PennFan10:
All of the above mentioned five come with a strong body of work, and I applaud you for your presentation. To me, a "star" freshman will either have his name called during the 1st round of the most immediate NBA to his frosh season; and/or secure for his school a spot in the NCAA tournament of that same season- that's, of course, simply my definition; but none of the 5 aforementioned individuals would qualify. (Columbia's Jim McMillian came close to meeting that standard; when Columbia was invited to the tournament in 1968 it was indeed McMillian's 1st year of NCAA varsity competition, though he was a college sophomore.)

Page 2 of 5 <2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.395 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:02 AM