Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Meisner        (Topic#21719)
AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
07-30-18 05:08 PM - Post#259705    
    In response to SomeGuy

You're actually amazing- you do manage to disagree with everyone; yourself included!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-30-18 05:11 PM - Post#259707    
    In response to AntiUngvar

I’m not entirely sure what relative ages have to do with it. If the question is whether he was used enough, it doesn’t matter if Meisner is older; the question is simply who gives Columbia the best chance to win.

On the Michigan thing, we will see what happens. Ryan Pettinella comes to mind as an Ivy player who had similar controversy (and maybe a similar Dad) and managed to become a useful piece at UVA. Maybe Faulds will do the same at Michigan (my other Alma mater). But he will need to work very hard and develop a lot to play at all. Personally i think the odds are against him playing a meaningful role (if at all), and the choice itself suggests that might not be the ultimate goal.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-30-18 05:22 PM - Post#259710    

I assume as a math tutor you got this, but just in case: when the ball is in Smith’s hands, Columbia has a higher percentage chance of scoring than when the ball is in Faulds hands.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-30-18 05:23 PM - Post#259711    
    In response to SomeGuy

That was good- you wrote 200 words and didn't manage to disagree with yourself even once!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-30-18 05:29 PM - Post#259712    
    In response to SomeGuy

I answered you on that (though it wasn't in a very polite manner); and since the ball was in said player's hands more often than not, were you correct, CU would have had more wins to show for it.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-30-18 05:47 PM - Post#259715    

Chet:There was a basketball assistant coach here in the Tommy Penders / mid seventies period named James Brown- coming from the projects of Long Island City, Queens, NY & having made it through Dartmouth College at a time when few if any blacks even ventured into the state of New Hampshire. James, IMHO, was the greatest player in the history of the Dartmouth program-hands down; better than the James Brown of Harvard, who went on to fame with CBS; and good enough to be drafted by the NBA in 1973. James had a signature line back then, when we talked about players' skill levels, etc.; which was, when you choose to 'butt''"UME" you often make an butt of you and me. If you choose to "assume" certain things, that's indeed your choice; but doing so without considering all of the empirical information before usually tends to, I think, dishonors your fine Columbia education. So you're NOT actually having to assume anything; just as the CU administration doesn't HAVE to keep Engles here -while waiting for another pair of Nike shoes to drop- simply because he's under contract; you're both actually, actively or passively, making choices.
And I must hold myself accountable, too, because, I've somehow and incorrectly presented Travis Faulds to you as Michigan's answer to Mother Teresa. I can see your interpretation of Travis's tweeting as plausible. I have a similar take to yours on that subject; though you may not be familiar with my own tweeting which at times, could by comparison, actually place Travis in a light alongside Mother Teresa!
I don't know how broad a range of life experiences you've had or how old you are, but as someone close to the end of the line, I do know there comes a time for most of us to plant our feet and take a stand in defense of a family member facing a possible crisis or in obvious need of assistance. You probably realize that student athletes coming to Columbia invariably don't come because of Chet Forte's Blog, or Tom's Restaurant or Kenneth Jackson's History of New York Seminar; whether they're coming from Melbourne, Australia; or Chaska, Minnesota; or Holt, Michigan- they're here PRIMARILY because of the trust they and their families placed in the sports coach who CONvinced them to come to New York City. And when it becomes obvious to a blind man that this trust has been misplaced, something has to be done, efficiently, powerfully and quickly, because that student athlete then often finds him/her self in quite a vulnerable position. For the Faulds family, I think that defining moment took place on the evening of January 27 in Ithaca, New York, at the Cornell campus.
In my view, Jim Engles is a small man in terms of character, with huge insecurities connected to his very limited skill sets. I do believe that Engles, over time, grew more & more intimidated by the Travis Faulds persona; and why wouldn't he be? Travis being a much more polished, well rounded, and empathetic individual, who human beings of all backgrounds simply gravitate to. Engles knew that Travis had far more credibility than he, Engles could ever come close to matching with the Columbia athletes entrusted to him. Travis, unwittingly, made Engles all too aware of his insecurities; and the coach saw social media as simply an extension of how people like Travis made him appear so feeble by comparison.
#%$@#%$@ YOU production orchestrated by a piece of excrement given human form by a Brooks Brothers suit.
So, Chet, if you're to ASSume Jaron got the overall playing time he deserved, then ASSume further that he deserved ZERO minutes of playing time that night in Ithaca, too; and ASSume further still, that we all deserved witnessing the nightmarish season as it played out; and which we're still paying for in terms of shoes/Nikes dropping since the nineteenth Lions loss in Cambridge on March 3rd- IMHO, look for one more pair to drop before Labor Day.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

07-30-18 06:01 PM - Post#259717    
    In response to Clyde

True- that's just hyperbolic nonsense. One player of NBA skill level should be more than enough to advance any Ivy League school team to its league's post-season tournament, even one with the burden on a stuffed shirt nitwit a coach pinned to its sideline.

LionFan 
Senior

Reg: 11-07-06
08-01-18 12:14 PM - Post#259805    

AntiUngvar, you've made your point far beyond the excessiveness. It's no longer interesting or entertaining. Isn't that the reason the rest of us are here, after all? We're just chatting about a bunch of kids playing a game.

I don't like to criticize individuals here, but AU if you check yourself you'll find that you've progressed into obsession, and it has become peculiar. Just look at the name you've chosen to identify yourself with and your persistent use of it. You've become a troll, man. Not good.

Clyde 
Freshman

Reg: 06-19-18
08-02-18 08:20 AM - Post#259854    
    In response to LionFan

Agreed. We all get that you don't like Jim, hope he fails and love the Faulds family etc but it's sort of tiresome and predictable. There are quite a few people, including an increasing number of basketball alumni, pulling for Jim and the program.

Go Lions!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Meisner
08-02-18 10:58 AM - Post#259861    
    In response to Clyde

I hadn't responded to anything here in 48 hours and was actually going to give it a rest. But apparently, some of you, want to just hammer away, and expect the person on the receiving end of your blows to simply accept them. I believe one can support the Columbia program and oppose a coach who's driven 5 kids away from it in less than 1 year. Even if he's had nothing to do with the attrition, it will be used against CU by opposing recruiters- you see the sarcasm of people from other schools on this site. But if you want to support JE, that's your right; & if you want to buy into the fantasy that a kid who's missed 500 shots in 2 NCAA years is NBA ready, go right ahead. But if you direct something to/at me, know that I won't be discredited- that's something from Trump's playbook, and I'm not having it!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 08-02-18 11:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Loc: Roar-ee's Lair
Reg: 12-17-14
Re: Meisner
08-03-18 06:32 PM - Post#259938    

I am an unapologetic Kyle Smith fan but he did not leave the roster in great shape. His final team lost one of the best ever at CU in Lo, a power 5 contributor in Mullins, the classic swiss army knife in Issac Cohen and a great all-around player in Rosenberg, rising seniors Coby and Petrasek and nothing comparable to replace them. Hunter? Eberle? Killingsworth? Of course, the program was going to slip
I can hear Jimi!

Edited by Billy Hoyle on 08-03-18 06:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.268 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:25 AM