Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Northwestern        (Topic#21783)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Northwestern
09-01-18 08:25 PM - Post#260873    
    In response to hoopsfan

Calling plays, setting Ds are successful if players perform. The best Os don't work unless shots are made.

I don't recall the exact quote, but Stengel nailed it: execution is what counts.
west coast fan

Edited by internetter on 09-01-18 08:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: Northwestern
09-01-18 11:43 PM - Post#260875    
    In response to internetter

Proud to be a small part of this thread- a lot of solid commentary offered from a multitude of sources.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
09-02-18 11:38 AM - Post#260881    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
Not sure I agree. Goodman did a good job in the first half keeping Penn in the game. But, in the second half, Penn made some adjustments and ran away with it. There was long stretch during which Columbia was completely ineffective on both ends of the court, and that was pretty much the game. Goodman wasn't a major factor during that period. That doesn't sound like Engles outcoaching Donahue.

Totally agree with you, SM.

I like Smith as a player but think Engels relies on him too much to the detriment of other players on the team. Hickman wasn't a good fit and will turn out to be an addition by subtraction, though might not be readily apparent because of the loss of Meisner and Faulds.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-02-18 01:23 PM - Post#260889    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Agreed that Penn made adjustments as the game went on. But without Goodman’s first half, none of that would have mattered. We would have been blown out. The reason that was a danger was because of adjustments Columbia made after the first game. They took Betkey away entirely and limited AJ’s impact (though he was still very efficient and effective). The lack of comparative depth was the issue for Columbia, and is not something they could coach their way out of.

So I’ve been thinking about this post since yesterday, and I just can’t agree with your interpretation of events. Engles made some adjustments based on the first game, Donahue saw was happening, looked down the bench, saw a guy who he thought could be a part of the counter-adjustment, put the guy in with some instructions, and straightened things out. That’s move-and-counter-move. It’s not Engles out coaching Donahue and Donahue just catching a lucky break. Maybe we’re just haggling over semantics here.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Northwestern
09-02-18 03:24 PM - Post#260891    
    In response to Silver Maple

It's more than semantics.

Columbia was the perfect team to play Goodman against. Donahue did it, that worked.

Donahue then made adjustments and Engels didn't counter.

The big turning point was when Meisner celebrated blocking that in bounds pass and the entire Penn team responded while Columbia did nothing.

The better motivated and better coached team won that game.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
09-02-18 06:12 PM - Post#260894    
    In response to TheLine

I disagree on this. Hickman will be addition by subtraction on offense. But he was Columbia’s best perimeter defender and their only perimeter defender with division one size. So he will be a big subtraction on Defense (unless Ellis is ready to defend from day one), which just exacerbates the exact thing that Columbia doesn’t do. I don’t think it’s a question of coaching or offense. i don’t think you can be a winning team in our league on the defensive end playing two of Smith, Adlesh, and Stefanini together, let alone all 3.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.248 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:54 AM