Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bigs        (Topic#21800)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
08-22-18 10:50 PM - Post#260624    

With David Erebor leaving the team, Brown’s depth at the 4/5 becomes challenged. There are still enough capable bodies here - Choh plays bigger than he is, DeWolf got a bunch of starts, plus experienced guys in Fuller and Howard. While that’s not a lot of size, it’s a solid group. But it makes me wonder if they play Franks as a big, and whether or not they try to fatten up / develop Gainey.

Somewhat more troubling is the lack of big men in the pipeline. A bunch of Brown’s 2019 bigs declared elsewhere, and among the handful that are left, there’s heavy competition. We may not be adding another big body until 2020.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
08-23-18 08:50 AM - Post#260630    
    In response to Bruno

Please indulge me, but this presents an opportunity to ask about something the surprised me last season.

In 2016-17, Fuller was very efficient and, I thought, effective. He played in 30 games and in 17.4 minutes averaged 7.5 pts on 53% shooting and grabbed 5.7 rebs. This past season he only played in 12 games and saw his minutes drop to 10mpg. Was it simply that those minutes went to DeWolf? Should they have?

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
08-23-18 04:35 PM - Post#260647    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

The Fuller thing was confusing to me too. He is Brown’s top offensive and defensive rebounder, if you believe the efficiency stats. He has an offensive skillset, even learning the year prior to hit both FTs and 3s. And he is a great distributor. Crazy high assist rate for a big.

He got into the doghouse something like 1/3 through the season. I remember he had a few games where he didn’t score - or even barely shoot - the ball. And was a non-entity offensively for a few weeks. It was right after that that DeWolf started getting those minutes. Maybe with Fuller being neutral on offense, MM felt he wanted one true big body in there defensively, and DeWolf is one active and big body. But he doesn’t yet offer a lot on offense.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Bigs
08-23-18 04:47 PM - Post#260649    
    In response to Bruno

IMHO, Fuller has under performed his skill set. He can be effective on O, but, at times he seems passive and non-physical on D. He doesn't seem much improved from his freshman year. Perhaps he can make a Senior jump. When Brown went smaller, Howard and Choh created serious match-up problems except to those with a really skilled big. We can be really effective with a bunch of 6'4" to 6'7" guys who can help each other on D. If he is healthy, Okolie could make very big contribution, and he and Choh can free up some room for Cambridge. I am looking forward seeing what Mawanda-Kalema and Mitchell can bring to the table. I don't know if Franks and Gainey are ready yet, but it's the time of the year to be optimistic.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-16-18 09:00 AM - Post#262674    
    In response to Old Bear

FWIW, here's a note from a Big East site at SB Nation that previews the Brown-Butler game on December 5th -

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2018/10/8/1795025...

Brown – December 5

Brown struggled mightily in the Ivy League last year, finishing second-to-last, but the Bears return two star guards, Desmond Cambridge and Brandon Anderson. Either Cambridge or Anderson led the Bears in scoring in 23 of their 27 games last season, and a strong set of backup guards gives Brown an impressive backcourt.

However, the Bears have serious difficulties in the paint. Brown kept many games close against guard-heavy teams last year, including an overtime loss to Providence, but got dominated by strong interior players. If Butler hasn’t figured out how to replace the post production of Martin and Wideman by December 5, Brown might battle them closer than expected.

Prediction: Butler 77 Brown 67

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.231 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:26 PM